Kill off this Bertie barnstomer rubbish its just not funny!

cameramanpilot

Is it just me or does anyone else think page 130 in RCM and E complete and utter rubbish. Even if Michael Palin was to read it out it would still be not funny! Don't get me wrong I have a good sense of humour and am not an old godger.

It spoils RCM and E as a quality magazine and wastes a page which could be filled with anything else such as a  photo of your local club/field for example. Please please who ever writes it please stop its just  not FUNNY. Its time to kill off Gusset and Barnstomer for good!

Does anyone else agree that this rubbish should be stopped?

cp 

Advert

I must say I don't agree with the above comments-I find it both witty & amusing. I think we are all in danger of taking ouselves a bit too seriously at times & a few oblique sideswipes at the establishment does no harm at all.

You will never please everyone, but there is time & place for most things & banning something because you don't happen to like it is exactly the stance that causes loss of flying fields, restrictive legislation etc., to us & other minority interests.

Ditch it - being new to the hobby there's plenty that I'd like to know more about.  All to often the mag is asked to include a report on this or that and refuses either because it's been covered before or they don't have room.

Well here's the solution - an otherwise wasted page.

Awful......belongs to a by-gone age....trying to be too clever for it's own good.....gave up after 2 lines......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Mind you, not as bad as a gentleman of a certain age who fills in the back page of a certain other mag.......bovvered! No, actually.....just tried to read it again, no, as bad as each other.....it could be more relevant and interesting to be "constructive" about it....and what must "newbies" think of it?

I thnk RCM and E should do a poll. Do you want Barrnstomer to have a long unwitty life OR Kill it dead now and strangle gusset at the same time?

Sorry author of Barnstomer its not fair on you as you obviously put a lot of work into it but I just think the page would be better used as would your writing skills.

Here is some help.

DIE Hard 2

Gussett took off in her Beechcraft biplane heading for the London office. As she flew back home to her amazement going along the road was dear old Bertie in his borrowed Model T ford.  Gussett waved for all her worth to attract Bertie who was taking the bends at far too great a speed.  Gussett used her skill to head for an overfly of Bertie but as her slim hands fondled the joystick.  Her wet hand slipped too late she was too low,  gussett  screamed as she hit Bertie's car. The plane burst into flames and Gusset had time to see Berties head roll off covered in blood  as she gasped for breath before she  died.

THE END  sad but true . Now lets move on.

CP

I ve got to say picked up the mag yesterday and i just could nt read more than a couple of lines of that drivel !

I dont mean to be harsh or upset the guy who writes it but heres my key points about it ,

a: Its just not funny !

Funny >>>>>>
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1197/1118206701_66d5bc1306.jpg

B: He comes across as a dirty old man , now i know he's trying to be witty by being as un-pc as possible but what the hell is he going on about his wife/mistress/whatever's manicured nails for ????

There is pleny more reasons not to read this article but i really cant bring myself to read anymore !!

Now so as not to sound to negative i have a few ideas let me know what you guys think..

How about guest articles ? i.e a reader or well known person in the industry writes a page on what ever they like ??

Or why not put some of the great threads from the forum on there ?

But please anything but bertie !

Well said that man!

I also dabble in classic cars and have a TR5. The organ of that enthusiast's club, TRaction, had a series of articles in a similar vein, and they didn't last too long, (thank God!)

It is difficult being really funny about what is, (lets be honest) a narrow field of interest in the greater human condition.....

Maybe the author is a major shareholder of the RCM&E, or he has something on the editor, or maybe he never got any honest feedback before the forums existed?

J.

I wonder if not liking Bertie is an "age thing"? I think that Bertie is great! The "Goons" were great too. In my time in the RAF the entire billet would hush when they came on.

All of us who listened so intently then are now old men, could this explain my liking for Barnstormer humor? Regards to all. Allan.

PS. Love the smileys too.

Well, I can shoot THAT theory in the gut: (I was born in 1947, built my first crystal set so that I could listen to the Goons under the bed-clothes). I find THEM funny. Bertie? No thanks.

(By the way, did you know you can buy whole series of Goon shows from the BBC shops? At a price, of course).

I have worked with both Spike and Harry years ago at different times  and they are really funny people off camera. But  you are insulting the clever high standard of the goons as Bertie is not anything close to the goons more like as witty as a Futaba instruction manual. But at least that would have something to do with RC flying!

cp