Love to fly Petrol

stephen mcfarland

I got into r/c helecopters a few years ago and have learnt to fly to a standard where I hope to complete my 'A' this year and with a bit of luck my 'B' also.
I started with a Hirobo Sceadu 30/50 model and moved on to a Trex 600 machine.
I have always flown fixed wing and I am very interested in a scale body for both of my pod and booms.
I also have a Hirobo 30 size Lama nitro model waiting to be built.
I am looking for petrol conversions for my models and would like to ask if anyone else has ever wondered why an engine manufacturer has not thought of making a suitable engine that would just bolt into any of these machines.
I live in N.Ireland and I cannot just go online and order Nitro fuel and have it delivered to my door as easy as it can be done in other parts of UK and it is very expensive anyway,not to mention a little messy.Yes I could go electric these days but batteries can be very expensive too and the flight times are too short for anything other than 3D.It would be so much easier to spend money on a good gasser engine and fly for pennies.
Any thoughts on this topic?

Advert

Good thinking Stephen.We cant fly petrol at our club because we are limited for noise and they are to noisy unfortunately.Electric has come such a long way and flight times have improved.I understand there is a new breed of more powerful batteries coming out also so that will probably increase flight times more.

two stroked glows run at a lot higher revs, you would have to alter the gearing to fit a petrol motor, the torque is there, but the revs are not, and where would you out a DECENT size silencer on a heli? having said that, Just Engines do do a petrol conversion dont know what size engines it suits, but i wonder about the carb, and the sealing rings, i cannot see that they are petrol/glow compatable

Yes I remember reading about that in RCM&E awhile back.As for the tecnical stuff I am not sure about that either, there is bound to be people out there that could work this out easily, I suppose it's because there is not much of a demand for it.
I know that there are conversions for Trex 600 helis in U.S. but it looks a hassle to me,they use a Zennoah motor with new side frame etc,then again scale flying is bigger over there and they seem to like gassers.

Our club chairman converted a T Rex 700 to petrol, if my memory serves me well I think he got the conversion kit which did indeed included a set of gears and loads of other bits from the States but I believe it was very expensive.

Edited By Ultymate on 27/01/2012 21:34:07

Converting anything less than a .50 is dicy. You will shorten the engine life, and reliability may be a problem. Your head speed will be higher, meaning bearings will be replaced more frequently. A couple of fellas at my patch Flambirds fly 700+ class on petrol 26cc and above, flybar & less. They seem to get on ok. Works out cheaper too at 30:1: And with the right exhuast system you barely realize they are flying Petrol.

Just engines do a conversion kit Just Engines. Generally the service is good. Especially if they send a part out not 'spec', that fails.

BB

Edited By BB on 27/01/2012 22:54:03

Yes, it all gets a bit complicated and having returned to the hobby only a few years ago the last thing I could be bothered to do is fiddle about with stuff I know little about.Thats what got me thinking about a lazy solution. I always look for the easy way out!!!
I suppose it comes down to the Engine manufacturers and if they want to offer something.
A 30,50 and 90 size engine would cover almost all helis out there.Not good enough for 3D maybe but then again not everyone wants to fly that way(too old for that stuff,love to watch it though).I might just make some enquiries of Just Engines and get the ball rolling.

So here is an invitation to all the big guns of the model heli engine world,start building petrol equivalant units and you might just be onto a winner.
Stephen..........

Yeah that's really nice.Had a look at those sites and they are very good.Liked the helibug one,looks like he has got that sorted pretty well.
In my younger days I would have tried something like that just for the hell of it but these days I am much less eager.That's old age for you!!!
I will try Just Engines and pick their brains on the subject and keep posting on the feedback.

Personally, I do like gassers, but only for what they are... BIG heli's, with nice scale head-speeds... I can't see the point in converting a smaller heli, as the leccy setups are at least equal to nitros these days, so why fix what aint broken.. !!
Besides, nothing ruins a scale model more than smoke bellowing out its RS... !!
And the noise... !

Stick with leccy...

Dont mean to sound negative to your idea, just my thoughts..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Thanks for the thoughts on this subject.Most 50 size helis out there are inexpensive and have plenty of scale bodies available for them so it would be a logical step to fit a petrol engine if such were about.
There is less vibration than nitro and with the right set up almost no smoke and I think they sound great.
Electric is very good these days but I just could'nt be bothered with all that charging and then having to wait about for a recharge.
Mix up some petrol and fly all day for a fraction of the cost.I would sell up my nitro models and buy a gasser before any similar size electric model.I will stick with the 450 size leccy models because they are more cost effective.
Cheers and nice to here from you.......
Stephen.

• 8 months later...