Aerotowing newbie

Ian Jones

Posted by David Gilder on 14/02/2012 01:09:06:
It only needs a light rub to give the paint somewhere to grip onto.. We're not taking about rubbing it with rough paper here!!!

A few wipes over with medium wet and dry (used dry) should be enough!!

Hmmm, okay. Think I'll practice on the underside of the wings first or even the underside of the fuselage - that'll get rubbed off anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Delta Whiskey on 17/02/2012 08:33:16:

Can't remember how we fixed it to the extra but the Glider was a very light SDZ 6X Nietoperz that just had a hook and pulled vertical for the hook to slip off if I recall, thou we nearly lost both !

I'll be using one of those tow releases Tim Mackey recommended in the DG1000, when I've managed to squeeze it in. It's ready to have it fitted now I've tweaked the CG to my liking.

I think my T40 could tow it okay, though I haven't worked out the mechanism. I think it will involve a pylon over the CG fitted with a short line to an internal tow release. That way in normal use the tow line would be attached to the pylon line but in an emergency both can be released.

Edited By Ian Jones on 08/03/2012 13:17:38

i use multiplex tow releases, tow plane tows from the cg, with a servo release, model is a mightyhots, 92"span, was fitted with a zenoah 62, but it to be re-engines with a 3W 80 flat twin, tow cable is the string that builders use to set bricks level, get it from B&Q, this model will tow anything up,

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Alan 4 on 08/03/2012 17:34:49:

i use multiplex tow releases, tow plane tows from the cg, with a servo release, model is a mightyhots, 92"span, was fitted with a zenoah 62, but it to be re-engines with a 3W 80 flat twin, tow cable is the string that builders use to set bricks level, get it from B&Q, this model will tow anything up,

At last I have the very same tow release, now to squeeze it all in:

Route For Pushrod?

It's going to be a tight fit!

As long as the front of the release exits at the tip of the nose then surely it would be okay to angle it downwards a little so that the pushrod can go under the battery - thoughts on that anyone?

As long as the front of the release exits at the tip of the nose then surely it would be okay to angle it downwards a little so that the pushrod can go under the battery - thoughts on that anyone?

Or should I set it horizontal just below the centre line?

• 3 weeks later...

I still haven't modified the glider for aerotow but I have now got 15 flights under my belt and really got quite used to powered and non powered flight.

Unfortunately yesterday a major malfunction occurred which didn't jeopardise the flight in progress but does make it unserviceable for any further flights.

It really shouldn't have happened but sometimes things do go wrong so I'm going to refer the matter to Ripmax/ST to give them the opportunity to make good before commenting any further.

• 1 month later...

Lovely weatherhot and one of the club member's big tugs combined to see the 3.5mtr Grunau Baby take to the skies for her first aerotow. After a few flights adjusting things like CAR mix, and exponential etc, she behaved very well, and I declare the home made tug release, dolly, and general gear refit a success thumbs up

Thanks to Will and the big maule for the tugs, and Bob and Pete for ground crew work face 1

An onboard HD video is loading to the tube as I type, so I'll repost here when its done

PS: I dont like this new photo upload system - its a real challenge setting the image resizeto get it to display correctly - even now it looks squashed. I tried 800 X 600 but that was terrible, and ended up with 650 X 350.face 22

Edited By Tim Mackey on 29/05/2012 18:50:56

Edit 450x230 now Tim - but I've added the photo URL in the "LINK" tab, so now it can be clicked on.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 29/05/2012 19:39:20

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 29/05/2012 21:40:03:

About time we could help you out Tim, you did enough for everyone else. I just set the size a little smaller so it doesn't pop under the ads.

Gonna watch now

Thanks again Chris - how did you alter the size? In U tube settings.... or forum settings?

PS: Its HD too, and not at all bad for little keyfob camera!

Next time we are gonna try it on the tug looking back.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 29/05/2012 22:35:52