2.4ghz

Fly Boy

Advert

I dont know if this has been mentioned somewhere else on the forum but It might be of use or Interest to other members. I dont Know if the New Futaba 6EX 2.4Ghz is the same battery compartment layout as the Futaba 6EX 35 Mhz however on a new set it could invalidate the warranty.

I use my Futaba 6 EX PPM mainly on my flight sim as I have now gone fully Spektrum . My Futaba 700 Mah battery flat pack exspired rather quickly - I noticed though that in the battery compartment there are embossed Battery symbols and clip retainers.

So I basically I slid out the spring metal battery retaining clips of a unused cheap Art-Tech transmitter and slid them into the Futaba set. Just connected the wires and that was it.

I then put 8 AA 2500 Mah Rechargable batteries into the set. Purchased cheaply from the local supermarket with 3+ times the capacity. It takes forever to charge them on a standard Futuba charger but at least you can take them out and charge them on normal chargers of your choice. 

I appologise if this subject has already been covered! 

Hmm!  I mainly use mine for my sim anyway and a DF foamy.  So why do Futaba have single cell embossed battery symbols (in my case a computer set) Pun intented! Is it because they are using cheap casings ?  Come to think of it - that set is now only 12 months old and a couple of months ago I lost elevator control (luck would have it on the simulator) when I opened it up the rocker arm retaining pinion had snapped ie being plastic. Not being heavy handed or an aggressive flyer - i was not impressed! I replaced it with a metal one.

i recently bought a 2400 ni-mh batt pack from vapotech for £9.99 with £1 postage it fits my tx fine i can charge it on my fast charger in about 25 mins for a full charge from 9 volts capacity left on battery up to 11.4 volts it lasts for about 6 flights no problems on average of 15 to 20 mins this will drop my battery charge to a level of 10.1 volts on a warm day may be different in the cold not to sure about that yet

So in short yes you can put in a larger ahm of battery in your tx as long as its a 9.6 volt battand no i dont know why a 9.6 volt battery charges up to 11.4 volts the 700ahm batterie i had charged up to the same voltage and thats the one supplied with the unit   

A 9.6V battery charges up to 11.4 ( sometimes more ) because the figure of 1.2V per cell is the NOMINAL voltage ( think of it as an average...)

In the same way a 12V lead acid battery such as in your car is pretty well flat at 12V for its purpose

Each good condition nickel cell will charge up to around 1.45 volt, and then the cell is considered full. As it is then used, the voltage drops progressively down to the point at which it is considered empty ' around 1.0V, during that discharge path, it will at some point reach 1.2V which is its nominal level.

The capacity ( EG: "how long it lasts" which is stated in m/ahr) is nothing to do with its terminal voltage - a 100m/a nickel cell wil have exactly the same voltage as a 5000m/a one.

NiMHs are about 1.4V when fully charged, and 1.1 or so when they could do with recharging.

1.4 x 8 = 11.4V.

The thing with these is that they fall off quickly when approaching the discharged point, so I would not let the Tx voltage drop below 9v  , (especially if you have something expensive careering about the sky!)

J.

Good point: don't leave your Tx in the car overnight before going flying at this time of year. The NiMHs are kicked in the b****cks.    If you slope soar and a couple of hours in the air is the norm, you might get a few surprises. You then take the bits home and can't find anything wrong when investigating in your heated work shop the next day!

(An other unexplained crash. Doug is right though, if you have a processor-based Tx: it will tell you flying is done for the day).    J.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Every one, thank you all your help with the 2.4 Ghz batteries. as a new begginer to all this electricery, all the help is most appreciated. May I take this opportunity if it's not to late to wish you all A very Happy New Year and every success with take offs and landings.

Regards mike

Are you using these with The Futaba 6EX 2.4, measurement wise they look a little tight? 

im using that pack in a standard 6EXP, which i think has the same sized battery pack space as the 6EX 2.4Ghz version as i doubt theyd change the shell, you're right it was a bit tight but they just squeezed in!

• 4 weeks later...