Sig Wonder - Any tips/advice?

Tony H

Hi Guys,

I've just purchased a Sig Wonder and I wondered if any one had any tips or advice for me who has build and flown one in the past?

I plan on using the SC15 which I have heard is the perfect engine size for the plane.

As it's a small plane of fairly old design before affordable micro servos, I was thinking of swapping the Std size servos for metal geared 2.5kg/cm Torque 12g micro servo's to keep the weight to a minimum. Do you think this is a good idea?

Do you think a single Micro servo is man enough to replace the single Std servo which operates both Ailerons? or would I have to put one for each Aileron (thus adding weight and complication)

Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks

Advert

Hello Tony. I haven't seen a Wonder fly in years... didn't know you could still get them.
If it was me, I would put an aileron servo in each wing, but I would use a 3kg metal gear servo like the Hitec 85 mg say...
This shouldn't be difficult, just add servo bearers between the appropriate ribs and 1/16 balsa sheet over the top to allow for the arm sticking out and the covering.

Edited By simon barr on 10/02/2012 08:44:47

I had one of these, electric powered. Like Simon says I put a servo on each aileron. HS 81 MG I think).

As it is very close coupled the elevator is very sensitive, make sure that the linkage is slop free and that you use the minimum recommended throw and be prepared for a lively first flight!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I've nearly built the Sig Wonder now, I'm sure it will fly well with my setup, but I have to say i'm not very impressed with the value for money of the kit @£59.99, it's only a small plane after all.

Only a small amount of the wood has been precut which surely is part of the point of buying a kit and it still needs a fuel tank and covering yet which makes it quite expensive for a 15 size plane. It also includes american imperial sized nuts and bolts, so I have to change them too and the engine mount is very brittle. They haven't even tapped the wing bolt holes for you !

Edited By Tony H on 16/03/2012 09:55:33

I would trim a bit of down elevator (couple of mm) for your first flight, otherwise you'll find it will go straight up.

BTW the kit in the US is $55, so actually is about 30 quid, which is,as Tony H said, its proper worth.

I used 9g MG servos in mine without any problems. If i did one again, i would fit 2 aileron servos in the wing rather than the 1 central servo, which eats up valuable space in such a small fuselage.

It glides very well, once at flying speed, but needs a good throw and plenty of power to get it safely airborne.

I flew the Wonder for the first time today woohoo!. It took a while to get the new SC15 in tune but once we did off she went, first flight was quite tail heavy so I brought her down on deadstick and added 5g to the nose, went up again this time a little better but still slightly tail heavy so I landed again, this time with the engine running properly I removed the 5g and added a 10g weight to the nose. This time she flew perfectly and the wonder glides well too on deadstick.

Conclusion: a very enjoyable afternoon's flying, and I reckon it flies flat out at around 100mph, I'm checking it with GPS next time.

Just so you know I got 0.375oz/min flight time out of the SC15 flown mostly flat out. which was 3oz gone after 8mins flight.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have finally got the wonder flying at it's peak now using an 7x5 prop it sounds much better and after around 15-20 flights now the SC15 seems in tune and reliable.

I have now rigged her with GPS and Variometer and I have managed to get 106MPH with a light breeze and a good dive run up. On a level straight with no wind it flies at around 90MPH not bad huh!

I can now get around 16mins out of the 6oz tank flying mostly flat out with the 7x5 prop.

Cool little plane!

• 5 years later...

Thanks Piers, yip a pretty straightforward build. I picked up the kit at an auction and found the instructions on line. Just recently found out that SIG still sell spare parts and the kit. Ordered the WONDER decal (like on trebor's) and some stars from here: http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/ProductsV6.html?L+Sig+cnlb2432+_Ddp_5fSearch1_02a01RCSigWonderPts_01Search_02Index_01SubMenu_02NONE_01Menu_02CatProd_01Thumb_02R_2fC_20Aircraft_20Sport_20Kit_20Parts_01

Edited By KiwiKid on 07/07/2017 15:16:40