Spitfire Beer

Spice Cat

Not quite what you are thinking put your tankard away.

A colleague recently sent me an e mail concerning WWII Spitfires with beer kegs strapped to the wings. Apparently they were used to supply the troops after the Normandy landings. The e mail states the practice stopped (officiallywink) after Customs and Excise said the brewery needed to pay export duty!

Now before I get taken for a complete ride; has anyone else seen or heard of this??

Regards.

I'm doing some research into my late father's role as Lancaster crew. With a view to building a Lanc in tribute.

It's a shame he would never talk about it. He did once tell us though that before he retired he had never had a passport, but had stayed in Belgium for one night.

To my surprise, about a month ago, I heard from a nice chap in France who collects WW2 records. To cut a long story short, we compared his records to Dad's log book, and concluded that this night in Belgium was actually a beer delivery to a forward airfield with the Lanc's bomb bay full of barrels.

It appears others had the same idea but using a fuel tank rather than barrels. This could have either been a slipper tank of 30, 45 or 90 gallons or possibly a 50 gallon ex Typhoon cylindrical one.

The text does not say how these tanks were removed without manpower or equipment as when full I am not sure they could have simply been 'dropped' on the runway without damage.

There is a fine bitter sold around the North West called 'Lancaster Bomber' , served with pic of said aeroplane on the pint glass.

I still have the glass from my first pint, I went and asked the Landlord if I could buy it and he was so stunned that I had asked and not just nicked it like everyone else did, he gave it to me! Beer still tastes that bit better from that glass.

stu k

Edited By stu knowles on 23/02/2012 15:38:59

This is the text of the email from my French friend, about the Lancaster beer mission.

Yes G/C Deane flew to Florennes on 6 october 44 , to bring beer to PFF personnels stationned in Belgium !he had 5 crews with him .
he said:

""As I was then doing little flying, I decided to be the beer carrier. In place of bombs, barrels of beer were loaded into the bomb bay and we set forth. After handing over the barrels I was given a case of champagne for Don Bennett which I duly handed over ".

Funny no ??? did your father talked of this ?

Posted by Stratocruiser on 23/02/2012 13:42:30:

This was to aid the Spit do a barrel roll !

Isn't Spitfire bitter from Shepherd Neame in Faversham, Kent ? beer

Edited By Stratocruiser on 23/02/2012 13:42:47

They even have a logo on the bottle saying.."The Bottle Of Britain"! There's a great Shepherd Neame Pub in Reigate, The Hatch, that has many photo's, paintings etc of Spitfires on its walls - and severs a good pint too!

Reminds me of the story of the Polish pilot returning from a mission and running into a PR crew who asked him what happened.

"We were taken on by a bunch of Fokkers - I managed to shoot one down and the other Fokkers flew back". His CO intervened: "You do realise of course he is referring to the Focke Wulf 190"

"No" replied the Pole, "Those Fokkers were Messerschmitts"

Daithi

According to the text in my link three spitfires landed and were met by a solitary soldier who told them the runway was under sniper fire and they better leave right away.

Even a 30 gallon tank would weigh 300lbs if full and would be rather more delicate than a barrel so it would need careful man handling. I just wondered how they managed in the circumstances.