Harlequin

Formtex1947

• 4 months later...
Advert

Well folks I have to say I did complete The Harlequin, and she looks magnificent as
per Peter's "spec"!
She is I have to say a lot faster and faster on responce to controls to the old Hangar 9 Alpha 4
I have brought home with me from the USA, but very interesting to fly.
Good one Peter, have to say however I wonder if a servo in both wings would make life a "tad"
simpler?

Regards RF

Glad that you are so happy with Harlequin.

The reason that I like the central servo is this.

While there is not much difference in the weight between my central aileron servo and one in each wing I like the weight distribution better.

Servos out in each wing put the weight out towards the tips. When you roll you have to start that weight moving and then stop it. Try sticking an ounce of modelling clay on each wing tip and the hold the wing in the middle and try to turn it in a rolling motion through exactly 90 degrees.

Now do it without the clay.

I admit that Harlequin is not a precision aerobatic model and the average person (Including me) would not notice the difference in flight. However it is just something that I do with most one my designs.

• 1 month later...

Peter,

I had to extend the nose just a little to accommodate the 48,which means the battery will be just behind the wing trailing edge

Took two weeks to build it and costed everything out as I went along,all materials from our LMS and it came out at £106-20.

No wonder RTFs are popular.

Jim

PS Tim has just come back with some superb Harlequin Tail art.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim your lovely harlequin may be costed you the same as an ARTF but now you have a unique model and the pride that you build it your self and to your own specs. something that an ARTF will never give, they certainly made progress to our hobby but with every progress come some regress as well.

did you flew it? how much is the total weight of the model? btw those fairings that you add to the undercarriage came really nice

regards

Daniel

Daniel,

i am pleased you like my Harlequin,I fitted a commercial wire undercarriage and just filled in the gap with 2mm sheet.

As yet due to the weather it is still unflown,as soon as the weather improves ( maybe next year ) I shall be flying her

We have to give credit to Peter Miller for the design, he costs me a fortune in balsa wood,I have built many of his models and they all fly well.

I think the weight is around the 4.5 lbs.

As you say,the satisfaction comes from building it from scratch,if truth were known I like building more than flying.

The building keeps the little grey cells on the move , can't afford to let them stop at my age ( no funny remarks from a Mod in the land of Hargreaves regarding the grey cells ).

May I ask where you are from,maybe Spain or Portugal ??

JImbo smile d

Two more designs coming. The CAP 20L is with the editor. It even inspired an ex builder to start building again he liked the performance so much.

Oodalally just needs the article written and that will be with the editor too. Another very nice sports model if I do say so myself.

Jim, I assume that you don't subscribe to the other magazines. You would have even less time and money to sparesmiley

oodalally flt 045.jpg

cap 20 flt 065.jpg

Edited By Peter Miller on 27/11/2012 08:39:06

RCM&E is the only one for me Peter,looks like I'll have to give these two a wizz though.I sold my original Cap21 but the scaled up version I did is still flying well.

Just keep them coming my man,I think young Ashers should organize a Peter Miller fly day.

JC ne23 has anyone got some spare wood dept.

thumbs up

Daniel,

Beautiful island,I have been there a couple of times in the early 80s.

mention Spinks Akromaster, I finished this one a month ago,free plan downloaded from the Outerzone web site.

did a few mods ,unable to get the right canopy for it its got what I had lying around, and the colour scheme is mine and not to scale so Peter will not be speaking to me for a while ( he does not like scale models without a proper scheme )

Edited By Jim Carss on 27/11/2012 19:38:35

We MUST have a Peter Miller day soon! Peter is surely the most published plan designer around and deserves the recognition. Every British magazine seems to have published his plans and several USA ones too. In addition he seems to have continuously published a column in one mag or another for 30 years or so. Always worth reading.

Come on RCME organise it soon or should we ask ' the Opposition ' to have this as one of their scheduled Old Warden meetings?

Nice akromaster jim! thats one of my favorite. a design very rarely seen. but i like a bit more the lines of the cranfield a1 too. nice british design

1770780.jpg

indexfzk.jpg

expecially the one that used Hanno prettner, image a similar one with a 55 inch span a SC32 or a 40 fourstroke. nice for pattern style aerobatics

i agree with kc aswell a peter miller day would be nice

regards

Daniel