Speed Twin ST2 - a twin-engined kit build

Tim Hooper

Have a peek at the YouTube video, and tell me that this isn't a spectacular little aeroplane......

Speedtwin

I first became aware of this lovely 26' craft due to a posting on this very forum, and it soon earned a place on my 'to do' list!

Searching the net revealed lots of photos, but no 3-view.

As the ST2 is currently in production, it made sense to contact Speedtwin Developments themselves. I talked to their very helpful MD, Malcolm Ducker, and explained the situation in order to gain his permission to emulate his product in balsa at 1/7 scale.

Despite not having a suitable 3-view, Malcolm has furnished me with the general dimensions, and I've run a ruler over the photographs and come up with the following outlines;

(That little Turnigy outrunner looks lost in the nacelle, doesn't it?)

Profili software has generated a set of aerofoils. I've plumped for a 12% E207 section - a semi-symmetrical profile to give good aerobatic performance.

Rapid Models has supplied me with twin Turnigy powertrains, and four metal-geared servos.

I've got lots of head-scratching and pencil work to do before I start to cut balsa, it's true, but starting the build thread this early is a major motivator for me.

Anybody fancy one of their own? 45" span, 400 watts total from a 3S pack.

timwink

Edited By Tim Hooper on 25/02/2012 21:07:52

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 14/03/2012 08:55:58

Advert

Tim,

Nice will make a lovely model with good flight performance.

Seeing it made me at first think that they would have done a scaled up version of one of your models which was not yet published.

Great vdo looks like the Pilot is having fun throwing it around and doing those passes.

What is the motor type that you selected and for what prop, is that the equal to a Typhoon 15/10.

Ton

Posted by Seamus O'Leprosy on 25/02/2012 22:13:08:

I would prefer something arounf the 65" span

No problem Seamus. All you need is a big, blank sheet of paper, a ruler, a pencil - and away you go!face 23

Ton, Thanks for the comments! I did consider a pair of Typhoon 15/10's but the price was prohibitive, so opted for Turnigy D2826/10 1400kv units with matching Plush 25A ESCs.

With the plans all fleshed-out.....

......it seems appropriate to start hacking some balsa into shape!

I don't have enough 1/16 sheet to do my usual thing and attack the wings first, but I do have enough 1/32 sheet, so on with the tail surfaces instaed!

Edit to correct picture spacing...

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 26/03/2012 12:35:20

following this one for sure looking good so far Tim don't take you long once you get your hands on a design..

how do you work out the dimensions to put it on a plan is there certain points that you work from.. to the the scale..??

Top marks so far will keep looking
Regards Adrian

Adrian,

It's pretty labour-intensive, especially when there's no 3-view available!

I work from 2 critical dimensions - the span of the full-sized aeroplane, and the span of the proposed model, which gives me a scale to work to. The 26 feet span of the ST2 gives us a 1/7 scale 45" model.

For the rest of the dimensions, I have to rely on photographs and do my best to work it out from there! There's a fair amount of artistic licence being ruthlessly exploited in this particular case......blush

tim

Hi tim thanks for that info
i have been trying to work out a design, looking at your design its a working art , its really not simple .. as people make it look .. i was working from a drawing (3view) of a pilatus pc21 i was working on the idea of multiplying the picture till i got a working size wingspan
Kind of if say the picture was 4 inch wings span then i would multiply it by 10 giving me my 40" then every dimension i take do the same .. dont know if this works..

i take my hat off to you for this model it does look a very hard one to work with ..like the idea of artistic licence , i did the same when designing my cub made some changes to make it my own..

just wish i could work out how to use devcad or something like that to do the wings i cant seem to get the rib shape.. for my edge or my cub ... dont know how you do it ..

Regards
Adrian

Posted by Seamus O'Leprosy on 07/03/2012 22:09:24:

What size ruler would you recommend and will a 3H pencil be ok?

Ah, if only life were that simple, Seamus!

In the same way that the newbie flier lusts after a totally unsuitable Spitfire, the acolyte designer yearns in vain for the fabled 3H racing-spec pencil, and is almost always disillusioned by the quirky and unpredictable handling of this coveted implement.

I'd suggest you go for a more suitable designing tool to begin with; a stick to draw in the sand perhaps? Or maybe a piece of chalk on a slate substrate? wink 2

Adrian, you've got it! Multiply every dimension by the same factor. It's as simple as that!

tim

Adrian,

There's quite a few free aerofoil generators on the net, but I use a pay-program called Profili.

Right then, a good day to today!

Instead of messing about making individual wing skins, it seemed sensible to do them all as one sheet, so I edge-joined 9 pieces of 1/16 balsa together before cutting the two lower skins free.

The rib and spar positions were drawn directly onto the balsa itself. The black item is the aileron servo trying it's future home out fo size!

Netty cut out the wingribs, whilst I laid down the spars etc

A closer view of the wing panel showing the shear webs. The root ribs will be added after the two panels are joined together.