Speed Twin ST2 - a twin-engined kit build

Tim Hooper

Advert

Thank God, there is life out there! Things went very quiet on this thread for a while. I'd started to get a bit embarrased as I seemed to be the only one posting and I didn't want to look like I was trying to dominate the discussion. I'm glad to see there are lots of other Speedtwin builders out there.

Pete B - Not me in the rear seat, I've still got hair, but I've seen lots of models with identical pilots front and rear and a bit of baldness made for an easy point of difference. Besides it was simpler to carve. I liked the video on assymetric flight. For me the choice was simple, contra-rotating props the right size were available and they offer some advantages and no disadvantages, but I'm sure Tim's correct, the model will fly fine with either system. - it's only if one motor stops that there are potential problems. Having said that, I watched a twin at our club discard the left hand motor after take-off on it's maiden flight, and it was flown round a left hand circuit and landed without any drama. The pilot saw something fall off but didn't know it was a motor until he'd landed!

Tim - You'll see from the photo that I decided to bite the bullet and plank the nacelle bottoms. I've changed the shape a bit, incorporated air exits per the real Speedtwin and I'm fitting hatches around the undercarriage legs. The other photo shows the part finished plug for the engine cowl mould. I intend to make these in fibreglass then I'll try the shrinking soft drink bottle trick over the plug and see how that turns out. Progress seems to be slow but I'm getting there. How did you build the prototype so light? I've still got to fit the cowls, tailwheel, control linkages and covering and I'm already up to your weight.

img_0778.jpg

img_0785.jpg

Hi, Rex, yes there isn't much happening re this model, but anyway, as mine is slightly bigger 20%, I am using larger motors and props , 9x6, and there is reverse direction props available, so that's the way I will go.small retracts will fold forward so there will be plenty of gap for the air to get out.

How did you find the wing build, the first half was a bit fiddly, not so the other, still got plenty to do on the wing ,but I have started to cover the Fuz and rear feathers, found an old large canopy amoungst my collection,reversed it around andcut it to fit, looks the part

barry

Barry,

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask as this is the most complex aircraft I've built so far, and my limited skills have been a bit stretched at times. Certainly the wing is the difficult bit, especially the nacelles. I found the fuselage really very straightforward, although I have spent a bit more time on the cockpit than I expected.

I checked out your album, love that Whirlwind, it looks magnificent.

Rex

I saw the full-size display at this years SBAC Farnborough airshow. The diminutive twin gave a spirited performance - just ahead of the mighty A380 - you would struggle to get a bigger spectrum of aeroplanes back to back!!! Heres a shot from that day, with the ST2 landing infront of the Airbus awaiting her turn to enter the active runway... cool

editimg_1298.jpg