Futaba 2.4 Ghz Radio

Returning to R/C after 20 years
I will be buying a new radio soon (6-7 channel)
These new 2.4 GHZ radios look to me like the best way to go. I'm not sure if I should get the Spektrum or wait for the new Futaba.
Suggestions and opinions welcome.
Thanks
JC

Never run out of altitude, airspeed, and ideas at the same time.

One thing to watch out for is that all the module system units so far, have NOT got all the features of the dedicated Spektrum
DX7 DSM2 system such as model match, and servo synch. However, I would expect the full 2.4Ghz system that JR and Futaba are almost certainly going to release eventually ( they better get a move on )will have equal specs, and probably more channels as well. Whichever you decide to do, it will require a change of all your receivers of course...so as stated above, expect a flood of 35 meg stuff on the s/h market.

Check this link - more 2.4 gear on its way perhaps soon?
http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/

Dissapointed with RCM&E report on the Spektrum. Where were the pictures showing EXACTLY how the gear was installed in the Magister and Mr Wilshere's valuable collection, and how to orientate those twin Rx units and their aerials etc Hmmm????? (We've already seen hundreds of pictures of Magisters in the air!)

These guys (XtremePower) have been promising for months now and are taking so long, I'm afraid the other players have beaten them to it. I agree with Timbo that perhaps modules are not necessarily the best way to go to get the "full nine yards".

I'm happy with my DX7 and will wait (as I said before) for the big players to bring out 'high spec' dedicated 2.4gHZ sets.

Thanks SteveJ.
How do find installation of your DX7?
Is it critical to orientation and location?
RCM&E and the other 'comics' aren't showing this detail, they all gloss over this.
Hope Multiplex (my current radio) can catch up soon but perhaps they've invested too much in the EVO and SX of late to abandon in favour of another system.

Hi Capt,
No problems with installation at all, however I think the manual could be a little 'lacking' for a complete beginner. For instance, if using 2 servos in 'flapperon' configuration, the diagram in the manual shows connection of right aileron servo to AILE receiver port and left to AUX1 port, and the manual says ' Neutral adjustments of each servo are made bt the Sub-Trim function'.
That's no problem if you know that AUX1 now becomes FLAP in the transmitter menu, and unless you have inhibited the flaps in the menu, you will get some "strange" movements.
To be fair, this is pretty common to most radio sets, but as I say it can be confusing for the newbie.

Aerial orientation is straightforward enough. The main receiver case is normally mounted in the fuselage lengthwise -putting the aerials ( approx 1" each protudes at either side of the case ) "across the fuselage". The other smaller satellite receiver ( with similar aerial wires)is then positiond a few inches away with the antennas either vertically, or at right angles to the main IE lengthwise to the fus sides.
I have now fitted the system to 4 aeroplanes, and in each case receiver mounting has been a doddle, and utilizes both of the scenarios above. My smallest ALFA sabre EDF has been completely cured of all glitching, even using a cheap tower pro ESC, and both receivers and their aerials are completely enclosed within the mettalic painted fuselage.I can fly this, and my other models to a great range, virtually out of site, with absolutely no problems experienced whatsoever. If you like, I can post some pictures for you to see the installation.

Hi

I will also be returning to R/C after a 11 year break (kids!!!) Looking forward to seing these new 2.4GHz systems. At present it looks like the Spektrum has the edge but if Futaba take much longer getting it 'out there' then they will miss many sales as the decent weather is on it's way. I have always bought nothing but Futaba and have never had any problems with anything i bought. Could be time for a change!!

• 1 month later...
If you look at www.futaba.com you'll see that Futaba have announced in USA 12, 7, 6 and 3-channel 2.4 GHz sets, plus 14, 8, 7 and 3 channel TX module/RX combos. The site shows the applicability of these modules to 7U, 8U, 9C, 9Z, 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ sets.

Also: there's comment about how line-of-sight is essential or you lose signal. 3G phones work on a similar frequency, and you can use those with a brick wall between you and the T/X! We'll see how well they work when eventually deliver.

One thing I've noticed when using the binding process on the DX7 is that you require a switch harness with three wires on the charge & receiver wires in order to achieve success as it uses the signal wire to bind, OK with the JR type supplied but a lot of third party ones come with only two and won't work.

Ivor,
A 3 wire harness is not necessary, as you can bind quite easily by temporarily moving your battery connector to a spare channel on the receiver, then use the bind plug in the batt position, and bind as normal. When completed just replace the batt connector.

• 1 month later...
Why have Futaba gone into 2,4 at such a low level? The intro of the Spectrum seemed to coincide with a flurry of advertising from the other manufacturers promoting 35 Mhz units,concentrating at the top end of the market.Have we any response from the Pro's out there on this?