Helicoil repair

Bucksboy

Advert

You can buy helicoil kits here - I got one a couple of years back.

Short of that there are a few folks about that will do it for you, especially for model engines - the problem is I can't remember the guys name - let alone contact details. I think his name is John Heywood? - or something like that. Can anyone help us out here?

Another path might be to contact Just Engines - they can often help or refer you to someone who can!

Sorry can't be more helpful.

BEB

I think the glowplug thread is 1/4 x 32TPI....its a "non standard" thread anyway.....

I think BEB is referring to John D. Haytree....a well known engine Guru....John retired from fixing engines some years ago......in fact I think he may even have passed away now......

This chap has picked up the gauntlet.....I hear he offers a good service.... Just Engines will also be able to help I'm sure.....

Is it the 2 or 4 stroke motor? If its the 2 stroke you might find a new head a cheaper option that someones time to fix it.....(£35 from J Perkins for an SC head or £27 from JE for an ASP version)

The fix is called a " Time-sert" Just google it. installation is to drill the damaged thread and tap with provided tap . insert the Timesert and screw home then run the fixing tool through it to expand the botom edge . Job done . Not cheap . There is a guy advertising repairs using these on the BMFA site and will be cheaper for a one off repair.And yes the thread size is ME 1/4 x 32