New Model at Field

There was a new model at the field and unfortunately it was whipped away before I could photograph it.It had a pusher electric and was set up for FPV the pictures being received by computer.It had a seperate aeriel to transmit the pictures and a GPS also.Apparently it failed because the transmission swomped the transmitter signal but fortunately the pilot managed to get control back just in time to safely land.

Advert

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 17/04/2012 09:04:37:

Yes and he is one of the clubs senior members and an ex BA pilot but we mortals are not permitted to critisise the upper echerlons of the club.

Pity isn't it? Could easily have ended in disaster.

I'm not sure that being an ex airline pilot comes as a recommendation. I went to school with someone who ended up as a pilot for a large international airline, and used to check to make sure he was not flying any route I was going on!

His father was a fantastic doctor, he was our doctor in Zambia and later SA, one of the best we have ever had, blunt and called a spade a spade.

Never shared the same trust in the sonsmiley

Another one who was a friend often dinged his car "I thought I was going to miss"

I think we are lucky this one is an ex BA pilot!!

Sounds like he was using a 2.4ghz FPV system if it swamped the tx..........if he was using a 2.4ghz tx/rx set up....

Hmmm ex pilot huh, so 'what i have seen and done in the air laddy and the experience i have etc etc ad nauseum' would of been the answer to any questions/criticisms.....always a shame when others seem 'above' us mere mortals and then make a complete hash of things.....

As Steve said, good job no one hurt

Safe flying is everbodies business so if there is an issue anyone should be able to comment - sometimes the guy with the least experiance (and the least bad habits) can see a problem that is too obvious to the more experianced member. If an accident occurrs and you lose the site you are all affected

Rant over wink

Sorry, if he had a serious safety issue he should be brought before the commitee. He has clearly disregarded the BMFA guidelines for range testing.

He was using FPV? Did he have a spotter on a buddy lead?

Sorry, no matter your experience/other flying interests, if you commit a serious safety error you need to be taken to task so it isn't repeated.

I have flown Full Size Gliders and Light Aircraft, yet I would still listen to advice from club instructors and other fliers. If I choose to ignore safety guidelines and cause a serious hazard while doing so then I expect to be chastised for it.

Sorry, he needs to be dealt with by the club, following the local system for such an act. If he isn't I'd be looking for a new club - where I can fly without risk of an out of control FPV plane crashing into me, or my models, car etc...

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 17/04/2012 09:04:37:

Yes and he is one of the clubs senior members and an ex BA pilot but we mortals are not permitted to critisise the upper echerlons of the club.

Do they pay more for their membership?

Assuming a no, you have as much right to your say as any other member - I'd be really upset if any member of our club (I'm the chairman as no-one else wants to do it) felt that they weren't able to talk to me openly about any safety concern or club matter - even (or especially) if it was something of my doing.

Personally, I have far more respect for someone who makes a mistake, admits it and learns from it than someone who is blind to any faults - even if they are vastly experienced and usually competent.

Posted by Keith Simmons on 17/04/2012 12:27:40:

To be honest, I think we all make tiny or minor mistakes as we go along, its what we do to correct them that makes us for better or worse !

That's what Martin said, and I agree fully, but the topic of this thread was hardly a tiny mistake smiley

Indeed Steve - not a tiny mistake and very dangerous. If this had turned into a true fly away and caused an incident could the pilot demonstrate he had taken all proper precautions as needed by the ANO? I doubt it. I doubt it very much indeed.