Bomber

Richard Wood

'Bomber' covers a Lancaster raid over the Ruhr in 1943.

Although it's fiction, Deighton's thorough research into his

subject gives it real authenticity.

Events in Britain & Germany are covered over a 24 hour period

and Deighton's detailed, lucid style communicates the hard

reality of an air raid from both perspectives.

The breakdown of a pilot  approaching the end of a tour

is poignantly described.

Written over 40 years ago, it's still highly recommended reading.

Edited By Richard Wood on 17/04/2012 08:51:57

Edited By Richard Wood on 17/04/2012 08:52:16

Yes, its an excellent read - I'd recommend it too. Also worth reading is the partner book "Fighter". This was a very different book to "Bommber" as it wasn't fiction - it is actually an analysis of the Battle of Britian. Deighton's thorough research - which Richard mentions above - is obvious throughout and his skills as a novelist means he presents the history in a very easy to read style.

Both of these are good reads for different reasons. Bomber a work of fiction, a damn good novel. Fighter a historical account very well written and researched.

BEB

Another Deighton book of interest is 'Goodbye Mickey Mouse'.

Based on an American P51 squadron stationed in England in 1944.

Deighton spent six years researching this fictional work & it's evident

in the sheer detail & knowledge of the P51 he conveys in the book and

the very convincing evocation of an American WW2 air base in England

and life in Britain in 1944.

Deighton's 'Blitzkrieg' is interesting too - a fascinating factual account

of the German army in WW2.

• 3 weeks later...

Bomber and Goodbye Micky Mouse I thoroughly enjoyed. Fighter was a decent historical analysis, but one thing I found odd - he claimed that the turning radiius of the Bf109 was superior to that of the Hurricane and Spitfire because of its smaller wingspan. Not so..

Mike

• 5 months later...

Dare I put Tom Clancy's " Fighter Wing " forward for yet another good read . Another very well researched book on the USAF fighter wing . His military books also include a nuclear sub. issue called -funnily enough- "Submarine " and another of the the Armoured Cavalry regiment - " Armoured Warfare." These books are not fiction. All three are good reads if you are of a military bent . E.C.

I've read Bomber and Goodbye Mickey Mouse, both excellent. Another book which I recommend is 'First LIght' by Geoffrey Wellum. Wellum was a Spitfire pilot who joined the RAF just before WW2 broke out. His (autobiographical) book describes initial training, flying Tiger Moths then Harvards and going on to a Spitfire squadron. He flew in the Battle of Britain, patrols over France and later in the book, Malta. All well written and completely absorbing. It is on Kindle, that's where I read it.

Posted by Mike Rolls on 10/05/2012 08:29:20:

Fighter was a decent historical analysis, but one thing I found odd - he claimed that the turning radiius of the Bf109 was superior to that of the Hurricane and Spitfire because of its smaller wingspan. Not so..

Mike

No he doesn't. He shows a diagram of the theoretical turning circle in a vertical bank at 300 mph and 10,000 feet for the 3 aircraft at half-fuel weight, and shows the Bf109E has a smaller radius than the Hurricane 1 and Spitfire 1. He adds "Note the way in which neither wingspan nor wing-loading is decisive in the matter of the tightest turning circle" .

It's worth noting that all 3 aircraft would be at 7 g or above in those conditions; not practical for an extended turn in those days with no G-suits. The 109 would be at 8.1 g, so its "advantage" is essentially theoretical.

Blitzkreig is another of his historical works, and there's Blood, Tears and Folly. He was co-author of Airshipwreck.

John

None of those fighters could sustain such a high g turn for long as they would loose speed very rapidly.

The lower wing loading of both the Hurricane and Spifire would allow them to achieve a smaller turn radius than the Bf109 at a slower speed, particulalry close to the stall, and was indeed used as a means of escaping from a 'tail chase'.