Vintage Engine ID help please

Hi All,

My mate rang me up yesterday asking me if I wanted to 'off load' some boxes he had bought in a job lot. He is only interested in the new flying models so I offered him a fiver a box (6 in all). This morning I have started going through things and to be fair a lot is going in the bin. There are quite a few engines etc but I came across a couple of older ones.

The first I believe to be an ED Comp Special (as I have one) but it is very different so if anyone is able to help in its ID that would be great. The differences are : its crank is longer/ front induction with what looks to be an RC carb? and an alloy tank bolted on at the rear with a brass bracket.

Advert

Sorry,

Hit the enter button by accident!

The secnd motor is a small cox, it says 'thimble drone' on the tank, I have heard of this name but I am unsure of the capacity. Without pulling it apart how can I tell this?

There is another couple of diesels and a very small glow, I will have a closer look later on and see if I can ID them. Time to go flying.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 22/04/2012 13:32:38

I think the first one is an ED Mk11 2.49cc (I stand to be corrected on this), it looks as though it may have a glow conversion fitted?

This engine alone is worth more than you paid for the lot, so well done!!

The second is a Cox Pee Wee .020 (.32cc).

hope this helps

Edited By Mark Lubbock on 22/04/2012 13:43:04

i will have all the junk i like collection junk for my projects and as mark said that thats a ed mk2 with a glow converstion and the diesels sell for £30 and up and no idea on a glow version well worth the £5 for the boxes alone and the cox is worth about £15 as its the peewee and thats what free flight lovers like anyways good haul

ooo is there any rx/tx xtals in there as i am still on 35mhz (want the spektrum dx6i)

Aaron,

If I come across any crystals you can have them for nowt, no use to me.

Tbone,

Thanks for the info, I didn't know there was a glow version I just thought someone had had a play with it. I will clean it up and see if it runs when I get chance, any idea what to use to get the muck off? In the past I have used washing powder and boiling water but I had one instance when I left a motor in too long and it pitted the aluminium and removed the anodising. Luckily it was an engine that was being used so appearence didn't really matter.

No flying this afternoon due to heavy rain,sleet and thunder so I have sorted through a couple of the boxes.

Have found 2 more diesels, these were seized solid but with a bit of penetrating oil they have freed up fine.

The first is what I think is an ME Heron, I thought it was a Merlin but there are exhaust ports that protrude out. This is missing the needle valave assemblysad The last is an ED Bee, that again was siezed but it has freed up and flicks over nicely, I think this one will be a runner.

On another note, when I pull off my photos from the album I can't get to write anything underneath as the photos are too large for me to scroll under. Same camera as I have always used, whats happening to things on the forum, everything keeps changing?

hello richard . The first engine is a ED MK111 2.49 it dates from 1948 but its been conveted to glow by the looks of the picture . In good cond its worth a few bob but it does look a bit ragged . If you can get it running you should still get a good price as its rare-ish.ED produced it up to 1950 ,I think , then the 2.46 racer took over .The last two engines are a ED "BEE" Mk2 1cc and a 1cc ME Heron .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 22/04/2012 19:46:15

Thanks Engine Doctorthumbs up you may be able to help with some of the glow stuff!

The next one was in a box but its in a bad way, I may try soaking it in penetrating oil for a few days. Its an 049 WenMac, looks to take a standard glow plug.

I beleive that the next couple of motors are Tartans of about 22cc, there infact 3 of these. The one is in the most ugliest model I have ever seen the reciever in it is big and red!!??. One motor turns over nice but the other is rough, feels like the bearings are worn.

These motors I will certainly use so that is a bonussmile, they look like they have super tiger carbs fitted?

Have also sorted through some of the radio stuff, 7 transmitters dating from I would guess the early 80's, mostly 35 mhz? there is a quantity of servos and receivers to suit. I will pop these over to my old man and see if they are of any use to him. Some have square output drives and there is a load of horns in another box to suit, have only ever seen splined shafts.

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 23/04/2012 11:17:21

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 23/04/2012 11:18:34

The Tartans are indeed the 22cc and are reed valve induction so run equally well in either direction. possibly a big twin ? They are not very valuable but are very scarce these days and spares are hard to come by . They were fitted with supertiger carbs for the glow version . A adaptor for a pumped carb (italian equivalent to walbro) was available for petrol running. they should have a large radial mount fitted but these broke easily in a crash .

Richard, your query as to cleaning dirty engines , I find that 50/50 meths and ammonia with a few drops of washing up liquid an excellent cleaning solution. It really gets the gunk off and a swill through with hot water, followed by a good dose of after run or gun oil. An old toothbrush gets into those hard to get at places, hope this is helpful

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the tips for cleaning the engines, I will give it a trythumbs up

Took some of the bits I sorted out today to see if my Dad wanted any of it, he has had half of the servos and the 3 Tartans.

We rang one of our flying friends who is a big collector of English model diesel engines, he confirmed what you guys have stated saying it was a MK 3. Apparently this type came as a diesel but had an 'optional extra' glow head. He also confirmed that they did run very well as a glow engine. We shall seesmile

Fascinating stuff, thanks for all the helpful advice

Rich

The ED MK111 came with a glow head as a standard extra. It is not an RC engine - the lever is a cut - out which bleeds air through a small hole. The best cleaner is Fairy Power spray as agreed on most engine forums. The missing screw should be size 6 BA. It has most of the awkward to make bits, like tank and prop driver, which are valuable spares, but the spraybar is sheared off and the needle gone with it. A complete spraybar is about the most complex to make of any I know, and unobtainable. Standard 4BA spraybars will not fiit. The needle thread would be 2BA (3/16in) .

Ok Steve I will try again, I just haven't had to do this before but why do things keep changing? I guess it keeps us on our toes!

As suggested I have tried the Fairy Power spray and the engines have come up ok I think. I have oiled them up and put them into storeage for a rainy day.

The ED Bee seems to be a little cracker, couple of drops of diesel fuel and it was running in my hand!

I will build something for it, Old Warden Mayfly is around the corner and my dad wants to go. He likes CL and there is a bit of a fun event so may knock something up for him with the ED installed.

There are a couple of Merco 35's, one has loads of compression the other has had a hard time and its crank has sheared at the front.

Couple of used Irvine 61's, 2 orrible MDS's and 3 or 4 OS engines of different sizes and an Enya 09.

So I have a few motors that I can play with and plenty for the bin, but well worth the money in my eyes.

OK, lets see if we can crack this for ever changing photo editing

Hi again Richard-the ED Mk111 (told you I'd be corrected!!) looks to be assembled wrongly-I'm sure the transfer passge should be to the front & the exhausts either side-might be worth putting this right before attempting to run-the transfer may be restricted or even blocked in this position

Richard, The ED 249 definitely has the cylinder the wrong way. As Mark says the tranfer port should be at the front and the exhausts at the sides. As I said, you will not be able to run this engine without a replacement needle valve assembly, as the needle and spraybar are sheared off. If you want to access an excellent site for engine information, try modelenginenews.org.- an Australian site which is a mine of information. You will be able to acces pictures of yor engine in Engine Finder.

Gents,

Thanks for all the info, I will move the cylinder around so that the transfer port is forwards. If the weather is ok Sunday I will more than likely see my old mate who has a collection of engines from days gone by.

I am hoping he has got a spray bar assembly spare or even one I can make a drawing off, maybe even a head and contra piston (probably asking for too much!). It would certainly be good to see this motor run again in either glow or diesel (or even both).

Thomas,

That site is very interesting, thanks for the link.

Rich