Vickers Viscount

Advert

Vickers Viscount mkII

I have this idea lurking in my fetid brain for a large viscount.
120" wingspan.
Full scale model.
It's not going to happen till after Garry's lancaster is finished, so i have time to plan it out.
I will be asking for advice and answers to some questions so i can formulate the basic plan and construction ideas.

number 1 in my mind at the moment is mixing depron and balsa/liteply in the construction of the wings and fuselage.
feel free to shoot me down now, but......
if i build a frame for the fuselage using ply formers and longitudinal stringers, would covering the outside of the fuselage with 3mm depron be strong enough.
the inside of the fuselage would have an internal skin of balsa so i can have a fully fitted out passenger cabin.

the same with the wings, ply and balsa frame skinned with depron.
just ideas at the moment as i am playing with things in my mind before i commit to the build in jan.

well i have been looking at the wing and have decided that there is just not enough room for retracts and all the wiring and servo's to get them to work.

So it will be fixed u/c in this one, at least i can make it look more scale with propper u/c doors and legs.

Though it looks like the build will have to go on hold again very soon as i have run out of funds yet again. frown

I might even have to sell the viscount in order to start the mk2 version yet.

i HATE being poor. sad

Edited By Tony Bennett on 15/09/2012 08:49:30

well i have faffed about all day trying to make some retracts fit, just cant do it without a complete wing and nacelle redesign. so fixed u/c it will have to be. oh well.

never mind it has given me ideas for the mkII retract set up, so something good has come out of it.

The wire bracing will strengthen the main leg, we hope.