Water Plane Flying

Braddock, VC

This is really a question for David; I've recently been looking for flying sites, and in the course of my searching have found a potential water plane site for the "odd occasion" out of the tourist season.

It's a small lake on some waste ground that is about 100 metres by 30 metres though there are reed beds at one end restricting the length to about 65 metres.

I've an ARC Cardinal with a saito 82 in it, before I push the boat out and get floats is there enough space to take off in?

Advert

Given enough power and a head wind along the length I think there is enough. The head wind will give a "chop" on the surface of the water and greatly helps the plane unstick. On calm water, planes can be a bit reluctant to lift and then it could be pretty marginal. The Cardinal along with many if not most others, benefits from an engine in the upper power range when used with floats. Landing now, is shorter on water after touch down, although on as short a stretch as this the ability to touch near the "begining" of the landing zone will be very useful. Approach Splash-down slowly as the kangaroo hop can go a long way.

Let us know how you get on please.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help chaps, the site is not a goer, it's a sssi.

I have a 10' boat and outboard for recovery so that'snot a major issue.

I live in Kent and being close to the sea would have thought that water, in large enough doses, wasn't a problem. It would seem that most lakes are dug to provide fishing which can provide a good living and people just don't want another, transient, user.

The search goes on......

Come down in size and you could manage it. Some of the leccy types can be mounted succesfully on floats.

At one of our Loch Earn splashin`s one chap was flying A "Panic" biplane fitted with floats, on what was just a large puddle behind a gravelly sandbank. Much less space than the bit you were proposing.

Cheers

• 7 months later...
A friend of mine went to Windermere yesterday and hopes to return in September. I would like to join him as I have an apprentice electric, that only requires about 5 ft to unstick on tarmac. and lands at a very low speed. Any idea about floats as it is only about 2lb in weight.

Peter

Hello all,
                Sorry I've not been around for a while, but  a few of lifes' little complications occurred, old age can be hard sometimes!!!
 This thread caught my eye as during the nineteen eighties, I purchased a flying boat kit. I can't recall the name, but it was a sleek looking single engine scale job made by Pilot kits. It went together perfectly and resplendant in pure white, with all the red scale trim, it really looked the part. Near to where I then  lived in Oxfordshire was a reclaimed quarry tuned into a lake which our local club had gained access to.
I took the model to the lake and over the nex three weeks or so, I managed to give my clubmates much amusement with my antics with this confounded machine! It just point point bankedly refused to fly. I originally installed an O.S 40 as per instructions,beautiful motor that ran like a dream. No lift. "more ower" said the local"expert", so an OS60 was installed, this did give it more speed, bigger bow waves, quicker to the point where the speed boat chaps did incredibly sharp turns to avoid various objects on the surface, but still no air under the hull. Again, "more power" came from the expert, so, you guessed, an OS90 was duly installed. A few hundred pounds the poorer, I arrived again, by now
it had becme time for all other modelling activito cease to enable the crowd of so called "mates" to assemble for another round of jeers and belly laughs, all in good fun ofcourse! A quick few checks and we were off again, wow, youshould have seen the speed on the water of the thing, and the flying spray behind it! It suddenly lifted to a few inches above the water, refusing to climb any further. In the adrenalin rush that accompnied this achieved flying state, I forgot to observe the  members netting boundary fence. The model became a shredded bag of grot, the club members and I retired to the
Pub,and I have never ever attemted a flying boat again!!! All the best to you all, Jack.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 30/03/2009 22:48:52

Peter, If you want to buy rather than make your own then some of the main dealers have I think, "Multiplex" planes for which they also have floats for purchase

To build your own I would normally point in the direction of Alisdair Sutherlands' guide on the Garnock Valley MAC website, however I have been unnable to access this recently. I have his guide on a PDF file and this could be used as a guide to what is required. Foam, or lightweight Balsa floats would work ok for a light small plane.

If you would like this PDF file, PM me with your E-mail address

I did say I have not been able to access the GVMAC  website, I also said something else too
 Sorry Eric, some Flying-boats and floatplanes may need treated like like that, I have not found this to be the norm though. Most will get onto the "step" quite readily, although a little bit ripple or wave can often be helpful to get some of them to unstick. A  wave effect can be made by a taxi run or two, then do the takeoff run across it.