Max Thrust Riot review

gary132

Tony this is why i fly the tribute 4D as this thing leaves my heart pounding from twisting it inside out when i fly it.

but then we are talking nitro power in a very paperweight light airframe so power to weight ratio is massive anf the surfaces are like barn doors that move as far as a barn door.....

It's a case of horses for courses......drive a ferrari and you get a buzz drive a learner car and you learn.... each model has it's brackett and yes i do agree the riot name does tend to make you think it will be an animal...what we experianced pilots need to think is a learner pilot until they know better will think it is until they have flown a proper 3 plane....

when i think back to my learning days the aeros on this would have been enough for me until i went to 3d & 4d ....but to be honest if an experianced 3pilot were to buy this and expect a riot they will be dissapointed.

Edited By gary132 on 25/05/2012 23:03:11

Advert

Not doing the Riot many favours are we? To others on this forum, if you are reading this with a view to buying one, I suggest you check out other reviews first to make sure the Riot is what you want. In its favour is the fact that it could be seen as a "3 in 1" model:  a trainer, a second model, and your first aerobat all rolled into one. It's well made (a few minor niggles aside) and flies extremely well. But "new and exciting" and "breaks with tradition" .....questionable marketing.

I agree with you, Gary; if you are experienced and are looking for a roller coaster ride, I doubt you will be satisfied. General club sport flyers on the other hand should have little to complain about. It isn't what I expected, but I still like it. It's fun, and I would recommend it.

Edited By Tony Forrest on 26/05/2012 00:53:12

Edited By Tony Forrest on 26/05/2012 00:53:40

Edited By Tony Forrest on 26/05/2012 00:54:39

Gary, I noticed in the first video that you posted the paint on the removable red cowl looks chipped or damaged. Was this as received, or was it done by other means?

BTW, if you want a "roller coaster" ride just move the CG further back than recommended and check out just how good your reactions are! I guarantee it'll concentrate your mind. wink

Hi Bill the red appears a bit weathered if you know what i mean.

it was new out of the box and realy with a foamy i kinda expect it to flex ( expand and shrink with heat ) while boxed up tucked away in some warehouse.

so i put it down to that.

I defo want to bring the C of G back to the 90mm to see how it is.

I bet it will become a different plane again.

I am flying tomorrow so will change it and see if i can get someone to video my flight.

He he could be a fun daywink

Yes David it is very fun to fly. not many planes fly like a stol.

i actually enjoy flying it very much.

I slowed it right down fed in rudder to turn and just used ailerons to keep the wings level

and was chuckling to myself as it more less sat doing circles.

it has a fun factor to it defo.

i think what people need to understand is it has been designed for the beginner

which they can fly aero once they got used to it instead of buying the 2nd model to advance.

it's name does give the impression of mega fun and from a beginners angle it would be correct.

but if an avid 3d pilot say whos been flying 50cc 3d petrols got hold of it i think they would be dissapointed.

anyway i digress i love it and think it's a great model and will defo stay in my fleet and be much flown....there is area's of fun to be had with it like playing with C of G and changeing props to affect performance but this will come with time of individuals buying it and doing there own thing to it....

we all know how we like to improve on what has already been built. I do lol lol

After all it is to be had fun with he he.

Gary.

David i just been tinkering with my riot and found i had not got everything set full on it on 3d.

my ailerons were set to move 150% in servo travel ( maxed out ) BUT in my dual rate mode i had them on high rates at 100%.....Aha i have now changed this to 125% max movement.

I am just about to set the C of G to 90mm rear of leading edge of wing.

I think this baby is going to fly somewhat different tomorrow....i will try to get someone to video it

If i can get my hands on someone who can use my cam.

oh the joys of medelling he he....Gary.

36G added to tail just in front of tail wheel and she balances spot on 90mm from leading edge.

i am excited about trying this tomorrow.

Edited By gary132 on 26/05/2012 12:16:00

Hi Bill no adhedral just looks that way.

Edited By gary132 on 26/05/2012 12:16:51

Could anyone point me in the right direction.

I am looking to get a riot, as my first ever plane. I will most probably have flown a plane before I fly it because I will have instruction/lessons.

I have a few queries:

What does the riot come with in the box?

Does it come with a motor, servos etc?

Are the servos already fitted?

Thanks

Hiya, The Riot comes with everything apart from the receiver and batteries. The motor, speed controler and servos are all installed. The assembly must be the quickest and simplest I've come across, although you will need to make sure the spinner doesn't rub on the front of the nose.

I don't know if you already have lipo batteries, but I would suggest you go for Power-Tech 2650mah 3S. The recommended battery is the 2250mah but the extra flight time is worth it. (I get a comfortable 10 minutes with room to spare). It fits easily in the battery box and doesn't mess with the balance. You also get two propellers - always handy to have spares!

I was flying mine today and with the controls at their maximum it is great fun. But with low control throws as recommended it is very stable and smooth, so as long as you have some one to help at the beginning, this model will take you through the learning phase and beyond. I think it looks nicer than most trainers too. Good luck.

Edited By Tony Forrest on 28/05/2012 00:57:58

Hi All

Given that I now know the cause of the crash of my Riot on it's maiden flight, I need to advise on a possible issue - I may just have been unlucky!

In the Riot, as the photos on the front page show, there is a small circuit board that runs a power take off to the light and to the Y lead for the ailerons. The servo extension lead that ran from the underside to the receiver was faulty. The signal pin in lead was pushed back/out when it was attached and came loose on take off, certainly causing a loss of aileron control. I also lost control to the elevator and rudder when I took off, so I think it caused a short and the receiver lost power. As the battery detached in the resulting crash I couldn't see if the receiver did have a brown out. - Specky ar500. The receiver was swapped into a Parkzone Trojan and behaved flawlessly for the rest of the day - so not a receiver fault.

I did the usual preflight checks and all was well and moving when tested - as it did on the range check. I was planning to attach the circuit board to the gear switch so I could remotely control the lights and have the ailerons plugged straight into the receiver, which is how I did the initial checks in the house.

Note to self - always check all leads on PNP/BNF/RR kits!

A bit annoyed at the £35 +P&P it cost me for the replacement fuselage - and the battery hatch was suck down when it arrived!

When removing and refitting the elevator and rudder push rods the easiest way to refit them is via the servo lead hole for the ESC lead, other wise they end up slightly curly!

The two of the motor screws have washers behind them - can someone confirm which ones, I think they are on the right hand side - as viewed from the rudder - to set the trust line of the motor.

It is almost rebuilt and hope to fly it on Sunday.

Sorry to hear of your models crash. i am interested as to how much damage was done to the fusalage to warrant you needing a new one as this model is pretty tough.

i have bounced mine now two times from height and only had to straighten the wheels and put a tad of epoxy on a tail joint.

it sounds like your pc board may of had a dry joint which is very possible.

ive been flying mine very much and had no issues so far in fact it's a blast of fun.

like i say i would be interested in knowing how bad the fuse got damaged. ?

any piccys.

Gary.

Hi James, sorry to hear of your misfortune. And thanks for the warning - I will check mine. Infact, I am going to bypass that light circuit and just plug directly into the receiver as the lights are realy a waste of time. The two washers on the motor mount are the two RIGHT HAND SIDE when looking from the FRONT, to create side thrust. I've another washer on each screw to move the motor forward slightly; the spinner is too close to the fuzz, so you cant push the prop on fully.

I've so far had no issues with mine, but I am waiting for those silly thi wheel bolts to break! If this is aimed at beginners, the wheel bolts need to be stronger as they bend too easily on a bumpy landing.
Good luck for Sunday

I'm replacing the fuselage as the wooden brace at the botton in the battery bay was crumpled and splintered. Bulkhead was cracked, foam around the black bit was compless and part of the side wall of the receiver bay was torn out by the wing. Wing spar was bent and the rear screw had been mount was torn on the left wing.

Nosed straight into the ground, under power as the throttle was unresoponsive.

Chose to replace it to be on the safe side.

No Pics, the memory are bad enough!

Thanks for the washer info Tony, need to swap them over.

Yeah would have liked to have Tony but I am a budget flyer these days, so have to get what I need.

Already tested that on Olly before testing the T-28. Safety bod at the club suggest the test before flying it. Have to admit wasn't my first thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i flew my Riot today and i wish could say i had a "Riot" with it. But to be honest i found it very boring due to the lack of power. Has anyone tried differnt sized props and makes and what was the outcome? Just to let you know im using Overlander 2200 mah Lipo's 25c rating.

Cheers

James

Hi James, I agree, the Riot is anything but! It needs more power, more like the Parkzone Extra 300, which really is a riot! Here are my early comments on the Riot, which echo what you are saying: **LINK** I upgraded the lipos to Power-Tech 2650mah 33C which seem better and I also put an APC 12x6 which seems better but maybe a 12x7 would improve it.

With the APC prop and the bigger lipo it does fly better but don't expect fireworks. Crank the controls right up and it will do some crazy stuff and is fun. I asked the question before; why was it called a Riot? seems mis-leading marketting to me. I don't think the Wotty has much to be worried about.

Hi Tony, I spoke to century uk today and they told me its designed that way for people learning to fly dont find it to crazy. And saying i should try it on 4s which annoyed me a little as i brought it as i have lots of overlander 3s 2200 lipos. I know that changing prop will help a little but it certainly wont transform it to a wot4 foam e. So its now up for sale and a wot 4 foam e will be replacing it asap. Think i will stay clear of max thrust stuff in future as it dont do what it says on the tin.

Sorry to hear your grief, but it is virtually the very same grief I experienced. I bought the riot hoping for just that - a riot! The marketing should make it more clear that it is aimed at beginners. I see it as nothing more than an advanced trainer, which is not what I wanted at all. I don't know what stage you're at, but I can recommend the Parkzone Extra 300. Don't touch it unless you are well past the learner stage, but it flies very fast and is very aerobatic. But the Wot 4 foam should also be better than the Riot. All the best.