B606 powertech charger Help!!!!

mo-no

Hi everyone,

Please can someone help me ive tried to setup the b606 to charge my 11.1v 1650 powertech battery pack, but everytime it goes to charge it just beeps at me and say connectgion break... read the manual mentions nothing,

does anyone know how to set it up for a lipo charger. thanks.

andy

Advert

i will be honest with you Alan ive come from a plu and charge charger and the instruction manual is 2 pages about warnings,

the 3 cell connector is on the side and has other conections as well for connecting other batteries, it also has an out put connector for the positive and negative lead that will conect to the power connectors of the battery as if i was connection it to the reciever.

Call me simple i know, its all a learning curve ive come from nitro back grounds.

cheers andy.

Sounds as if you have not got the two thick battery plug leads connected to the charger output socket - you should have had leads provided.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, I can't see anything that tells me the Powertech pack you speak of (33C rated maximum discharge?) is capable of being charged at more than 1C, ie 1.65A.

If you try charging it at 3A it is probably going to have a very short career, not to mention collateral damage........smile o

Unless the pack states clearly that it can be charged at more than 1C, never exceed the rating.

Pete

Edited By Pete B on 28/05/2012 21:10:41

Fine, the display is the same across many chargers. Top right, you'll see the display gradually increase to 12.6V, lower right, the number of mA going in - with a new 1650 pack it will probably take in the region of 800 or so mA.

When you programmed the charger, the lower left display should have been adjusted to 1.6A @ 11.1V.

Should be charged within the hour now..........thumbs up

Any further questions, just ask. In the meantime, there's an awful lot of reading in this section but it's all good stuff and an excellent resource for leccy info! smile p

Pete

Hi Mo1ponty,

Below is a diagram showing my GT Charger. I guess yours will be quite similar. Using charge leads you need to connect the red and black wires on your battery to the red and black output ports on your charger. What is probably a white plug, connected to the battery by 4 thin wires, is the balance lead. This is plugged into the 3 cell balance port on the charger. The balance lead of a two cell battery would be plugged into the two cell port, 4 cell to 4 cell port, etc. A word of warning. Most chargers have JST-XH balance ports. A lot od batteries have JST-XH balance plugs, but not all. If the plug on your battery will not fit your charger, then you will need a balance board. This is a whole new kettle of fish, and if this is the case then first delve into the sites highlighted by Pete B

Charger connections

Hi Pete, Alan.

Thank you very for all your help. Alan your right that is very simular, no my 3 pin fits in ok, but i will note this for the future,

Pete thank you for the link it is already in my fav list.

where are you guys from.. if local love to buy you a beer.

cheers andy

That's what the forum is best at, Andy - pointing folk in the right direction. Leccy was a big learning curve for many of us here and it's alway good to pass on what we've learned.

Pity about the beer - I'm down in SW France, unfortunately................but thanks, anyway ! wink 2

Pete

Something like this should be OK, I think, or possibly this one, which is a little less powerful.

I can't find the provided motor spec (normally seems to be supplied with model) but it is likely someone else on the forum can provide some info re this model.

Seems a pretty good choice for training - some vids on Youtube - also goes under the name of AXN Floater.

Pete

I think the smaller one would probably be quite adequate. If you have 1lb -ish AUW, something in the region of 100W will give you bags of performance for such a model and will draw about 10A using a 3S pack, well within the 18A ESC limit.

The correct-sized prop is the most important factor in achieving this. 4.75 x4.75 or 5 x 5 should put you i the right area. I don't know if there is clearance for a larger diameter prop.

Pete

Thanks Pete, the aircraft comes with 5x5 prop, so i think all being well when it arrives I will have a nice little throw around. I also brought the training aim off.eBay for 20gbp.
I thank you both for all your help.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, just found this thread as I was looking to buy a POWER-TECH B606 CHARGER and wanted to know if anyone had any comments - you sound fairly happy with it. I'll have to get the additional adapter board and then another I expect to cover all the different types so thanks for the link.

I was surprised to read that you plug the power and the balancer into the unit - my current 12 volt charger charges through the balancer lead OR the + - leads but not both - have I got that right?

Anything else to add with regards my choice?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi

Powertech B606 charger and flightpower EVO-PRO 3cell LiPo battery,both unused till now.

I am completely new to model flying.Had a plane as a xmas gift, not had weather till now to try it. B606 charger says voltage low when trying to charge batt. checked charger instuctions ,possible low cell

It says press inc and it will tell me which cell, it doesn't. am I missing something obvious.

if I have a low cell is it possible to bring it back to working level.

any info or suggestions

thanks John

JP5. I think I'm right in saying that the inc button displays the individual cell voltages only when the battery is charging. If one cell is low the charger may not go into charge mode. In the past I have given a battery a short unbalanced charge just to raise the pack voltage which then charges normally.

John

Hi again JP5.

Just reread both our entries. I see you are new to modelling. When I said unbalanced charge I meant don't connect the balance lead - just the main power leads from the battery. It should then charge the pack up. Sorry if I confused the issue. Let us know if that works. I got two of these a month ago and they wotk just fine with my limited testing as been away for the last two weeks.

John

Edited By John Tee on 22/08/2012 12:43:52