Harvard! Tony's 2012 design for the Special Issue

Advert

Posted by Phil B on 31/05/2012 12:40:03:
Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 30/05/2012 22:38:13:

Not a great favourity of mine but Im sure it will be popular.

Even TN does not sound that enthusiastic about this one. I wonder why it was chosen?

"...a certain Mr Ed insisted it would look good in his collection..."

I would have prefered a good early British jet EDF warbird, maybe a Hawker Sea Hawk, Supermarine Attacker or Gloster Meteor. There are only a handful of kits and plans for these, mostly Chris Golds plans.

Would also like to see someone design a proper EDF Jet Provost, rather than having to upscale and modify the PSS ones.

Shame really, there'sa plethora of Texan/Havard/T-6 plans, kits and ARTFs around. I do agree a goodand slighter more obscure WW2 FAA fighter  or a BP Defiant would be nice and different.

only my opinion of coursewink

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 31/05/2012 13:06:19

The great thing about a radial engined aircraft is there is a big bulkhead to mount a rack mounted electic motor.....I'm not planing on putting electrical details on the plan simply because I'm not test fitting an electric set up so i really dont want to mislead any electric builder. What i will do is ask 4-Max to propose an electric set which will suit the size of model.

Phil, you're right its not a favourite model mine but neither was the Lysander, but boy it was popular!!!! just hope the harvard will be too....

Hope to test fly in the next few weeks

Daithi, well your not a Westland fan, and not a eye for a nice model twin cheeky, but then again most guys don't like more than 1 motor.

I would imagine the "mods "won't be on the plan, for a Wirraway,  but a little reseach and it would be possible, never mind, a great subject anyway

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 01/06/2012 03:02:17

Oh don't get me wrong - I've nothing against twins (even twin wings wink).

I will admit though that I'd prefer a Hornet really (think of the 'scale' construction - props rotate in opposite directions to counetr rtorque, balsa construction a la Mosquito)laugh

In common with most, I think the Harvard is over-represented really in plan, kit and ARTF as it is

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 31/05/2012 21:33:26:

Phil, you're right its not a favourite model mine but neither was the Lysander, but boy it was popular!!!! just hope the harvard will be too....

Hope to test fly in the next few weeks

I'm afraid I share yours and Dave's sentiments here - the Harvard certainly doesn't interest me as a subject and I haven't detected any great enthusiasm from the forumites yet.

It sounds like you were given a commission - it would be interesting to hear from you or the editor why this particular aircraft was chosen - surely it wasn't a runner up in a previous survey, was it?

Interesting, The FW190 was voted for last year and we didn't sell many at all. I do expect to sell more harvards simply because it has universal popularity.

I do have a nice Vulcan built which just needs testing.....and plans for a DH98 which came second in the choice list last year....think the Whirlwind will appear soon rather than later

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 01/06/2012 18:24:47:

Interesting, The FW190 was voted for last year and we didn't sell many at all. I do expect to sell more harvards simply because it has universal popularity.

Well, maybe that has to do with the fact that on the continent most builders at not too keen on building German warbirds. Expecially not with the European championships football that's about to begin . But seriously, Graupner, Robbe and Multiplex don't sell the FW190 just because there is no big market for it in central Europe.
The AT6 looks interesting, but I have to agree to the others on this thread that it is overmodelled. But maybe if you convert it to a Zero, just like they did for some WW2 movies?

Ruud

You haven't given up on a Whirlwind Tony R ,like myself, and that is great news from T.N re the whirlwind, at least he can guarrentee 2 kits will be sold

AS for the Harvard being overmodelled....there are others that stand out much higher on the heap than a Harvard :-

P51,Spitfire, Hurricane, Me 109, Piper Cub so on and so on

Stick with it T.N

Barry

I for one would like to say that I look forward to the finished plans and information for the Leccie bits. As always Tony puts out a great plan and, as he says he spent time on simplifying the build.

It would be great of course for an EDF A-6 or Folland Gnat, and I would love to have the DH98 and the Vulcan of course.... but if Tony does do another single prop warbird ..... please, please, please let it be an ME109 - not because it was German - because it is simply a beautifaully clean and simple design which of course all great planes are.

Marty

I'm not too sure about it being all that un-popular, at least not over here across the pond. Thousands of Canadian pilots flew them as they advanced through their military training during and after WWII, as did American's with the Texan variant. I wouldn't mind one at this size, that is easier and cheaper to build than the Brian Taylor version. Don't get me wrong, I love Brian's designs, I'm just more of a sport scale guy that tarts them up a bit.

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 01/06/2012 18:24:47:

Interesting, The FW190 was voted for last year and we didn't sell many at all. I do expect to sell more Harvard simply because it has universal popularity.

I do have a nice Vulcan built which just needs testing.....and plans for a DH98 which came second in the choice list last year....think the Whirlwind will appear soon rather than later

Would have done the FW190 if it was 70", still thinking of blowing the plans up! The Whirlwind now there is a subject that is on the top of my bucket....70 " though! The Harvard is not for me although i know my flying buddy is besotted with them.

Graham