2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Advert

My plan arrived today but not the canopy, I assume that is delivered direct from the manufacturer.

Had a quick look at the plan and now realise that I am out of my depth! It is going to take some time to work out where to start.

It is also a shame that the fuse is not drawn in a single piece but the paper would need to be bigger.

I think I will make a few A3 photocopies at work and stick them together so I can make paper templates - is that the usual way??????

WolstonFlyer, confused Dept...

P.S If anybody produces an accurate materials list that would greatly help newbies like me.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 09/11/2012 20:15:24

Wolston Have you read the build article yet as this will explain many things and those it doesn't well thats the idea of the mass build, I'm still waiting for my plans but I'm assuming its not a build over the plan build if you get my drift, however paper templates is certainly one way to go though be cautious with the photocopier as some times the copy is not 100% scale. If I need a template I usually trace one.

Phil

Posted by Stroudwaterboy on 09/11/2012 20:05:55:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/11/2012 19:52:17:

Plan and canopy are discounted Ian. My canopy arrived today.

BEB

May I confirm my understanding, that there will not be a wood pack?

There will be a wood pack - its being prepared right now! Should be available in a couple weeks time.

BEB

Woolston - as Jonesy would say "DON'T PANIC"!

The plan may look a bit daunting at first but the way the Mass Build works copes with this. Once we start building, experienced builders will be blogging every step - with photos - so you'll be able to follow them step by step and it'll all fall neatly into place - honest!

BEB

It does not seem that anybody who has built the Tucano has answered Tony's question about whether the line of fus side is correct and fits a 4 inch sheet.

It seems to me ( I havent built it yet ) that really you should add a little to the 4 inch sheet behind the canopy........however it looks as if this will all be sanded away forming the curve, leaving only the triangle stock. So just leaving the triangle stock ' hanging in mid air' at that point should work.

But it's so easy to add a little extra to the sheet --- just get a scrap of the same sheet ( exact same thickness) butt it tightly to the sheet with masking tape, turn the sheet over and let it flap open to apply a little glue, turn it back flat and mop up excess glue & apply masking tape to that side too. Wait until glue dries and remove tape. Using cyano this takes a minute or so, using PVA takes overnight. This is standard method for making wide sheets.

Note for plan builders.

Fin gusset is specified as 1/16 but it seems to me 3/16 is needed?

Ramin is specified in some places. Ramin used to come from Indonesia but I think the major shops stopped buying a few years back because they were wrecking the jungles so it is not considered 'Green' now Use Birch dowel & beech for servo bearers etc.

I have estimated a Material List as follows, but check for yourself , anyway it is minimum and requires careful utilisation when cutting. Buy extra sheets if you are careless or make mistakes!

Basic materials for Tucano.

Balsa 36 long.

3 sheets 4 inch x 3/16 light ( Fus sides & tailplane & elev)

1 sheet 3inch x3/16 light ( fin & rudder )

1 sheet 3inch x3/8 soft (fus top )

3 sheets 4inch x3/8 firm but light ( LE, TE & aileron)

2 sheets 4inch x 3/8 medium ( wing panels)

1 sheet 3 inch x 1/4 firm ( formers)

2 pieces 1/2 inch triangle

2 pieces 1/8 by 3/8 strip

Balsa less than 36

3/16 x 5/8 by 10 inches firm ( fin post )

1/2 x 3inch by 18 inch soft ( deck )

1/8 x 3 inch by 12 inch light ( canopy floor)

1/16 x 2inch by 10 inch ( wing fairing)

Ply

1/8 Birch ply 3 inch by 15 inch (Wing joiners, F1 & u/c plates)

1/8 Liteply 3 inch by 12 inch (servo tray & lipo tray )

1/4 Birch Ply 3 inch by 3 inch ( motor bulkhead if required for rear mount )

1/2 square Beech by 2inches (u/c block)

1/4 square Beech by 12 inches( Ramin is not avail now ) ( servo supports)

3/16 dowel Ramin or Birch 4 inches ( elevator joiner) ( could use bit of square beech)

Hardware

3 wheels 57 mm

10 SWG piano wire 36 inch for u/c

6 pieces u/c clamps 10SWG single

3 pieces 10SWG collets

1 pair 14SWG torque rods

2 inch spinner

Velcro strap for Lipo

I hope that one of the experienced builders will check over my material list so that we dont misinform the new plan builders and cause them to buy too much balsa or think it's too expensive.

Whilst reviewing my list I realised that you dont need the full sheet of 1/4 so you could eliminate the piece of 1/2 inch and laminate 2 pieces of 1/4 to get the thickness. The 1/2 is used for the front hatch and underneath piecs so weigh wont be a factor here. Laminate the parts oversize and cut to size after the glue has dried.

Alternately dont buy any 1/4 if you have a full sheet of1/8 laminate 2 pieces of 1/8 to make some 1/4. In this case you can put one layer of 1/8 crossgrain to strengthen the piece.

Final tip is if you buy from the postal balsa suppliers such as Balsa Cabin ( highly recommended by me ) buy a few extra sheets to make the postage worthwhile.  Of course you cannot buy less than a 36 inch length of balsa so your going to have to buy a full sheet but they supply ply in smaller lengths.  The beech parts you can probably make from some scrap material.......old chairs provide suitable pieces of Beech but dont cut up any antiques!

I hope this is useful to the first time builders.

Edited By kc on 10/11/2012 15:06:03

Edited By kc on 10/11/2012 15:10:26

As soon as my plan arrives KC I will be doing what you've done and producing a cutting list, seems to me your suggestions for laminating sheets is spot on I would recomend Aliphatic resin for this and of course a good flat bench with a heavy flat sheet to lay on top 12mm mdf with something heavy on it usually works for me

Phil

Having just looked at a description of the "BVR" kit contents it would appear that it contains pretty much what the eagerly awaited wood pack, plan/canopy set and build article contain + some of the hardware you'll need so IMO I can't see any reason why not Colin

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 10/11/2012 15:31:54

The BVR website is here but I am not sure they still supply kits - I think Nigel said they stopped long ago. Maybe I am wrong.?

There is about 30 pounds worth of balsa required ( at Balsa Cabin prices ) plus a few tiny bits of ply plus hardware & canopy.     ( balsa tends to cost up to twice as much at shops)   Most of us will have the hardware lying around from previous models and a few scraps of ply too.

To get the fuselage sides photocopy them and tape together making sure the datum line ( in this case the fuselage bottom ) is in line. Stick the photocopies onto a sheet of balsa with a few bits of doublesided tape and cut right through photocopy into balsa with a scalpel. This will produce one side, make another to match. Dont cut right rthrough 2 layers of balsa and expect them both to be the same- they wont due to scalpel not being vertical.

Edited By kc on 10/11/2012 16:19:37

Tony asked a question about the fuselage sides being bigger than 4", which KC responded to but I just got my plan and canopy and had a look at that point. The section showing former F5 and the 'flat' triangular section below the sheet top also shows the top of former F3. measured from the plan it is 1 1/8" which is the same as the inside of the triangular parts. From this It look like the 3/16 sheet sides come up to the under neath of the flat triangular parts which then glue on top of them, so Tony is right and the sides DO NOT extend over the flat triangular parts. Therefore you can get them out of a standard 4" wide sheet.

As KC has done I started a material list, I'll compare them when I have finished and post any changes which may be needed. As I build mostly from plans I would probably have some of the odd bits 'in stock' so I'll check those as well for the non plan builders buying just fo rthis project.

Does anyone think the 40mm dihedral under each tip seem a bit much? dont know what the effects of reducing this a bit maybe to 25mm?

There appears to be concern over the weight distribution as brushless motors and lipos are much lighter than the original set up. Having looked at the plans I think I will move the servos to under the canopy and probably incorporate a bolt on wing. I hate trying to move fully assembled planes around, seem to just bash everything in sight, thats just me though. If I go this route I will add a battery tray adn other stiffening around the wing opening to maintain the structural integrity.

Rather than copying and cutting around parts I have use a pin to prick through the outline into the balsa then join up the dots with a fine fibre tip pen. straight lines dont need so many pin pricks as curves. Alternatively you can put the plan face down on the balsa and iron over it, this will re heat the toner and transfer it onto the wood, just dont use the wifes best steam iron (ruins the plan). whichever way suits each individual.

Right then, back to my material list.