2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Advert

Guys....I don't know for absolute certain but I'm pretty sure that BVR kits is no longer "trading"....

I think I'm right in saying that BVR kits was Nigels vehicle for selling his designs as kits. I believe he stopped suppling kits several years ago....

The CNC cut parts & woodpack should be available from MHS in the very near future......please try & be patient a little while longer!!!

Many more modern designs are largely fretted out thin ply & so complicated that they benefit from having the many ply parts CNC cut. But this is an older, traditional almost all balsa design. There does not seem any point in having CNC cut parts for this model unless you use exactly the same AXI motor. A rear mounted motor wont need this fretted out F1 anyway. Unlike most designs there are no wing ribs which could usefully be CNC cut.

As wood selection is critical for a model like this with solid wings any experienced modeller will want to select their own balsa instead of relying on a selection in a woodpack. Those with less experience should buy some extra sheets (especially the 3/8 wing parts) and use a set of digital kitchen scales to select the lightest sheets.

So I suggest not to wait for a woodpack but just go and buy some balsa from your favourite supplier.

As regards the line of the fuselage sides, I now think the line marked with triangles is incorrect and should be the lower line behind canopy. But I would cut this top edge a little oversize ( say 3/32nd) to allow for sanding back to a flat line once the sides are curved in. This will allow the 1/2 triangle stock to seat nicely on the full 3/16 sheet thickness, not just on the edge point of the fus sides.

Home from a hard day at work and santa's been lol 1st impressions wow thats a huge canopy otherwise no suprises in the build so far. The previously discussed upper line of the fuse behind the cockpit needs some looking at, I can see how people are confused but I think it needs some edge joining so the triangular stock can be glued to the inside of the sides before sanding most of the side away to form the stepped line runnining along the edge of the turtle dack, still an evening at the kitchen table with note book and ruler will answer that one, I hope !!

Phil

Hi Phil, I can confirm that the plan is infact not right and that the triangular bits do fit on top of the side sheets. I know this does seem a little odd. If you look at the original build article (downladable from this site) it does state in the text in the second part on page 93, middle column next to the picture of Nigel launching his model that (and I quote) "take a suitable length of triangular stock adn plane a'f;at' on it 3/16" wide. Cut to lengths shown and glue to the upper edges......."

Also the same notes are in the build instructions which were included with the original BVR kit - see BVR website as identifed in earlier posts.

The BVR website has Nigels original photo build sequence which has many more photos than the RCM&E article, I found this to be very informative.

About the material list posted earlier, I have checked and believe that with careful cutting we dont need the additional 3" wiade sheet of 3/8 balsa. The wing panels will need 4 sheets in total but as they are only 19" long there will be 4 pieces 17" long left over to use for the wing tips and the fuselage top and bottom decks, this should be more than enough. I will be laminating the formers from two pieces of 1/8 sheet so eliminating the need to buy 1/4 sheet, it also strengthens the former as someone else mentioned the two pieces can be cut so the grain is at 90 degrees.

hope this helps

Chris D

Phil -

That is absolutely right.

The triangles on the origial plan found themselves on the wrong line during the conversion from my CAD ("Child Ability Drawing" to the RCME draugtsman's CAD (Computer Aided Design).

The flat-edged triangle strips sit on top of the fuselage sides as a platform for the soft 3/8" sheet read upper decking, with a generous thickness to allow rounding off.

This allows the fuselage sides to be had from standard width 4" balsa sheets which are readily available. However as earlier stated I plan to deepen the fuselage sides and widen it for a more scale appearance so I will hopefully be able to post these modifications as soon as I'm recovered enough to start building again.

I have to say I'm looking forward to getting stuck in!

Thanks for the picture Phil.... gets pen and draws some arrows on the plan....

I will be following your build thread quite closely because I also want a removable wing. I am also tempted by Martyns built up wing idea but that might be a bit too advanced for my first wing build.

WF - novice builder Dept

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 13/11/2012 23:19:02

Hi WF - by all means follow Martin's build - and pick up loads of good tips - but if you want some advice I think you might be better sticking close to Nigel's original design if this is your first build. Nigel's Tucano is a well proven design and obviously you want your first build to be a stonking sucess - sticking with his plans more or less guarantees this! Its entirely your call of course - depends how brave you are feeling!

Remember, one of the beauties of building from plans is that this isn't necessarily a "one off" exercise. When you have built the Tucano you still have the plans and can simply build another one if you want - this time with the built up wing!

BEB

Hi BEB - yes this is my first balsa build. Just foamies and ARTF so far.

A removable wing would be ideal for me, i have very limited storage (all of my planes are scattered about the house) and my other half will not be pleased about "another massive plane" filling up the house, especially at 45" wingspan.

I think I will pause the built up wing idea to start with, I have the DXF file from Martyn and might try that for V2 smiley

I am assuming that making the sheet wing removable will be possible?

Re Chris's comment on my material list. He may be right as regards quantity but note that the extra sheet is specified as light or soft as shown on the plan.( the rest of 3/8 is shown as medium or firm ) This fuselage top is well behind the CG and probalbly needs to be light to avoid lead at the front.

If it would be of any help, I will make one of my Tucanos with a detachable wing and re-positioned radio gear to bring it up to date with lighter motors and Li-Po batteries.

No doubt everyone making theirs with a detachable wing will use a different method, so we should end up with a few options for other builders to adopt their favourite.

I've never had a car so small that one of these won't fit in one piece, which is why I didn't design it that way; but I appreciate storage space and transportation is an issue for many so perhaps this is another shortcoming of the original design that can be dealt with during the mass build project.

Having dug into my stable for the first time in months I find the huge box of dehumidified balsa is all there and unspoiled so the weighing scales will be coming out over Christmas to select the right grades for my two attempts in the new year. I seem to have been out of the loop for far too long!

Hi WF your welcome mate BEB has a very valid point regarding the assuredness of success following Nigel's build, although I wouldn't expect the removable wing mod to add any significant weight and if like me a fixed wing could cause transport issues well worth doing.

on the point of using a built up wing I now think the extra drag caused by very nearly doubling the wing section could require a more powerfull and heavier powertrain upping the all up weight meaning slow speed flight becoming possibly less stable so for the moment I'm not going that route

Phil

Hi Nigel and Phil

It would be great to get ideas and details for a removable wing, I guess the hard part is the servo for the torque rods, would the servo be fixed to the wing so it all removes???

Good point about extra drag from a built up wing, I think for my first build I will stick to the original design, making it removable will be enough of a modification.

kc - your materials list is a great help smiley I think I need to add a few extra things like snakes and fittings, screws for the saddle clamps and control horns etc.

WF