2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 30/12/2012 19:24:32:

Hi David,

It is not trim but just narrow strips of Profilm ironed on with a very cool iron otherwise the canopy will be distorted. Don`t ask me how I know this! Sticky Protrim would be much easier but the cost would be even further through the roof. These lines are not very scale-like and have been enlarged a bit just to emphasise them. I used Profilm only because the rest of the model is done in this and not much else will stick to it.

Thanks Martin,

Did you iron this on the inside of the canopy ? I may be asking the obvious but it is more than 27 years since I made my last model, but I am enjoying making this one. I have most of the airframe made and I am thinking ahead to the covering stage. The last model I made was a control line model. In the early eighties. I taught myself to fly rc this year, joined a club and passed my a cert using some of Chris foss's excellent foam artf models, but I am keen to learn to build to a good standard .

regards

david

Advert

Posted by david fillingham 1 on 31/12/2012 22:25:03:

Hi David,

It is not trim but just narrow strips of Profilm ironed on with a very cool iron otherwise the canopy will be distorted. Don`t ask me how I know this! Sticky Protrim would be much easier but the cost would be even further through the roof. These lines are not very scale-like and have been enlarged a bit just to emphasise them. I used Profilm only because the rest of the model is done in this and not much else will stick to it.

Thanks Martin,

Did you iron this on the inside of the canopy ? I may be asking the obvious but it is more than 27 years since I made my last model, but I am enjoying making this one. I have most of the airframe made and I am thinking ahead to the covering stage. The last model I made was a control line model. In the early eighties. I taught myself to fly rc this year, joined a club and passed my a cert using some of Chris foss's excellent foam artf models, but I am keen to learn to build to a good standard .

regards

david

Sorry,

I can see that you have explained this in your reply to mike.

Hi David,

Thanks Martin,

regards

david

Sorry,

Hi David,

Thanks Martin,

regards

david

Sorry,

Hi,

well today is the "official" (as far as anything's official with the Mass Build!) start date - best of luck everyone - let's see those build blogs start to multiply!

For the benefit of any newbies or those that haven't been involved before I've put up a "beginners guide" and a brief history of the Mass Build Projects here as a sort of FAQ's.

Remember - its never too late to join in. Just add your name to the sign up thread here and off you go!

BEB

Martin.

I think it's water based, it's not cellulose or resin. In texture it's just like an extremely light Polyfilla and dead easy to use. When set it's probably lighter than balsa. "Don't apply at temperatures below 10C, - - - - store above freezing, - - - -can be painted within 10 minutes with water based paints". I find that the best thing is to use sanding sealer when it is dry to seal the very porous surface if painting with cellulose paints, although if you are doping and tissue covering you can go straight ahead. It's the most suitable filler that I've found for use with balsa wood.

Hi, I use Deluxe Model Lite too. Remember to give it a good stir with a drop of water before each use. About to start on the wing panels but I have found a 2mm discrepancy in the wood stock re the drawing! Are you all going to check the weights of wood before gluing the parts together? I am going to use fix-o-fix contact adhesive on the doublers.

Mike.

@ Pete B : nice video. A shame that the Tucano isn't a bit bigger - so we could fit retracts. OK - I know there will be the exception - but the majority will have gear out at all time...

I think 3 or 3.2mm wire will be ok - otherwise you have to correct the gear after every bumpy landing.

Sorry - I forgot that this isn't happening in our community face 1

VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 03/01/2013 21:29:06