Is there a small plane that I can fly around my garden?

I have a large enough site (circa an acre) but its bounded on all four sides by tall oaks and poplars (60 feet+ tall) and therefore I can't fly my Parkzone foamies in and out of the site. The site is pretty long but not that wide (20 metres approx). I wanted a plane that I could fly around the garden for the times I couldn't escape from babysitting duties.

I bought an UM Trojan but even that was too fast for the space and it ended up whizzing round on its wingtip while I tried to stop it hitting the trees.

Is there a small, slow flying plane that I could get to fly around the garden and land/take off from my driveway? I've looked at the Hobbyzone Aeronauca Champ and the PZ Ember. Would either be suitable, i.e. could fly in that space and handle a little wind? I don't need anything more exotic as its just a plane to feed my fix while waiting to get away to my club field.

Thanks

Edited By David M on 08/06/2012 15:58:27

Hi David

The Hobbyzone Champ would be a good choice, or the slightly smaller Parkzone Micro J3 Cub.

I have the J3 cub and it flies very nice, it can handle a very slight breeze but I did end up upgrading it with a motor and prop from a Champ to give it more power.... actually I should have just got a Champ to start with!

You could also look at the 50 quid ready to fly 3 channel eRC Micro Stik, it flies nice and slow but give it full throttle and it turns into a different plane that can loop all day long. It does not like anything more than a slight breeze due to the large wing size for the weight of the model. (this is what I first learned to fly on and still have it after a few repairs).

James

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 08/06/2012 16:27:14

The E-Flite UMX Extra 3D is aerobatic, but capable of flying very slowly. Of course, it's really intended for indoor flying, but I've flown mine outside on calm evenings. Unfortunately, anything that will fly slowly in a small space will be very light and be blown away by a light breeze.

I have both Micro Stik and HZ Champ, I think either would work, though Stik needs flat calm where the Champ will cope with the lightest of breeze. From appearance point of view the Champ looks delightful in the air

Thanks to all for the suggestions. While I'm not really very keen on micro planes (too weather dependent and I've no indoor area to fly them in), I have 5 kids and I'm finding that opportunities for getting away to my club field for a fly these days are getting rarer and rarer. So having a small plane that I can do touch and go's with on my patio/driveway and some general flying is becoming almost a necessity. I had considered the PZ Night Vapour but it looks so fragile. The Ember looks sturdier but it was the Champ that caught my eye. I don't know if I really want to spend time building my own (although I have built larger scale warbirds) and control line isn't for me as I get dizzy just looking at other guys fly their planes in circles.

Ill have a closer look at some of the kits suggested and perhaps have a think about scratch building my own from odds and ends in the work dump. Getting the Champ is the quick and lazy option thoughsmiley

the champ is great. i had some fun flying mine over the past few months. i say had as i lost it 2 hrs ago. it got caught in a thermal of sorts it went straight up into a rather large black cloud. i had sight of it for a few seconds and managed to spiral it down a bit but then i totaly lost it. it could be anywhere in a 2mile radius. i meant to put a sticker on it after the brother in law lost it in ireland in low light conditions. found it the following day a mile from the house.

if you get one put a sticker on it and don't fly it to high or anywhere near big black clouds.

if youwant a balsa build take a look at some of the kits on **LINK** the stevens aero kits are very nice indeed.

As they say that size needs a smaller plane . These will be buffed around in the wind . A shockie would be a simple build and are easier to repair than the micro range . They fly slow and I fly a couple indoor a standard gym or in the field on calm nights. Rcme plan for the stunt monkey is a cracker 3mm depron £3 a sheet and if it all goes wrong after a few crashes strip the parts and it's only £3 and a bit of time. Uhu por glue is the sticky stuff that is bed.

My UMX Carbon Cub (See vid here) can fly very slow, and very fast... All in one package.. Plus it fells more 'solid' than previous UMX's...

Travels and stores in it's box too, so less chance of damage..

I also fly a 36" foam profile shockie, which, whilst capable of going slow, is more of a 'proper' go-faster bird, so I wouldn't suggest anything like that..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 10/06/2012 12:07:44

If the Cub is a bit pricey for your needs (it aint cheap) I flew a Kyosho Minium for years, before recently getting the Cub, which was beautiful on a summers nite.. Positively delightful..

Here's a VID I did ages ago, to give you an idea of size n speed.. And it's belting about, as I was doing close flyby's with the headcam..!!  ( It's a bit smaller than the Carbon Cub )

Now, crucially, I'd recomment you DONT get one.. It was ACE 5yrs ago, but in today's marketplace, it's expensive, has non-transferable radio, and a short range to boot..

Instead, check the specs / size of the Minium Citerbria, then check out the JP / E-flite variants of the J3 Cub, as I believe they do a small DSM one..

HTH's

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 11/06/2012 22:31:06

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 11/06/2012 22:33:38