F3A pattern models

Hi Folks, does anyone know where I can find small (50 - 60 inch) pattern type models? They seem a bit elusive and I am interested in trying these out. I am after glow powered models, not electric. I have a keen interest in aerobatics and I love the Extras, Sukhoi etc but was keen to try pattern flying.

There doesn't seem to be many retail outlets carrying them in the UK

Advert

• 1 month later...

Proper pattern planes fly MUCH better than all these Extra look alikes for 'pure' aerobatics. Buy a good one and you will be truly amazed if you have only flown Extras and things.

Though not quite as big as the modern ones, these type of models reached their absolute peak between the mid 70s and the mid 80s and plans are available from the magazines. Modern ones are somewhat 'dumbed down'..

For a really good ARTF as a reasonable, though not low, price try the Great Planes Venus 2. It will give you a real taste of F3A. Don't spoil it with one of these feeble four strokes, Use an OS 91 two stroke and a Weston Genesis manifold and pipe..

YT Also do:

Iconic (there's an IC version too)

Adrenaline

If you want pure F3A performance go electric, as the centre of gravity will remain constant through the flight.  As I understand most pilots are going this way now.  It's harder to keep constant performance when you start off nose heavy and gradually work back to the correct CoG when the tank is empty!

Edited By S-R-B on 13/08/2012 23:39:23

Hi guys,

Crumbs, I seem to have started something! Thanks for your guidance and ideas. My reason for the IC route is simply because I want long flights without worring about the battery time of about 8 minutes. The large lipos are very expensive too. I have an OS 81 4stroke powered Cap 232 and it flies great for at least 15 minutes, still with a third of the tank full. Electric is clean and quiet, but it's still got limitations. You have given me plenty to research, so thanks very much.

Alan,

'Could do with more vertical'

Dump the four stroke and put in the current OS 91 (95?) two stroke. It has identical bolt spacing, length from bolts to drive washer, bearer spacing, and weight. Other than cutting new holes for the exhaust and needle it goes straight in. Needs a larger tank of course.

My much heavier nylon and dope covered Flair Astro Hog goes straight up from a vertical hand launch from a brave assistant! He doesn't push, he just lets go. About double the power of the current four stroke, according to OS specs.

The YT ones look good. If they were in stock I would order one.

Factor in the price of the batteries, motor and ESC and compare it to buying a large engine like an OS 91 and you'll be surprised. Plus you don't need to spend £20 on a gallon of fuel every few weeks. This idea that glow is cheaper is a massive fallacy. I've just looked and you're talking best part of £300 for an OS 91...

Posted by Mark Powell 2 on 13/08/2012 22:59:20:

Proper pattern planes fly MUCH better than all these Extra look alikes for 'pure' aerobatics. Buy a good one and you will be truly amazed if you have only flown Extras and things.

Though not quite as big as the modern ones, these type of models reached their absolute peak between the mid 70s and the mid 80s and plans are available from the magazines. Modern ones are somewhat 'dumbed down'..

Bit of a different animal, a 70s pattern model. This was the ballistic pattern era, with smaller high powered fast flying models, mostly around 60-65" span. Take a look at the PB Models kits, the Bullet, Tornado etc.. Easy to build, strong enough to take some abuse and very smooth to fly. They will also cope with anything the British weather systems can throw at them. If you've seen Olie throwing the PB demo models around you will know the flight envelope is limited only by the pilot's ability.

Then there are the Bridi designs marketed by Blue Jay and available mail order, the Dirty Birdy, the UFO and the like. Grerat Planes do a Dirty Bird ARTF and H9 a Phoenix 7,

As for cost of leccy versus IC, buy an ASP or SC engine instead of OS and Southern Modelcraft fuel at a LOT less tha £20 a throw and it will halve your costs.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 14/08/2012 10:30:27

Ok, so i've looked and £11.50 for a gallon. I can get 4 6s lipos from TinyTrout/Giantshark for £200, which is equivalent to about 18 gallons of fuel. Let's say you can get 500 cycles out of a pack, that's 2000 flights for £200! Ok, so that might be optimistic, but even if it's 250 cycles then that's 1000 flights for £200, which is pretty good. I'm not an IC man, so can someone tell me how many flights you'll get out of a gallon?

whatever floats your boat SRB, but I've yet to get 500 cycles out of a battery pack.

Anyway, leccy is too quiet, it just doesn't compare to a piped (even a quiet-piped 80db) .60 or .90 two stroke.

As for how many flights, depends on the engine size and style - maybe 12-15? I can't say I've ever worried about cost per flight to be honest. If I want a quick flight in the evening I'll throw a couple of leccies in the back of the car. If I want an enjoyable day out I'll get all oily, it's part of the fun.

as I said, whatever floats your boat. I fly both so I've no axe to grind. Either way can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it. What matters is that you enjoy what you do.

Sorry about the derail.

Back on track - with the current exchange rate prices for Classic RC Hobbies kits from the US work out ok. excellent quality, or at least the King Altair was.

Posted by Stefan Hafner on 11/06/2012 19:25:09:

If you can still get them I would recomend the Pilot models Seduction Freestyle, flies great and very smooth.

I'm on my third one now and still love flying it

These are indeed excellent quality and superb flyers, mine is waiting for a repair though Stefan from a stupid flight I did in strong winds and landed heavily short of the strip ! Be interested if anyone can find these still available anywhere, I'll happily buy another !

Sounded much better than an electric model on a 70 fs !

Free Style Seduction