Transmitters for beginners

Owen O Reilly

I am just getting into the hobby after years of watching and going to shows. I have just purchased a Raptor 50 with Futabe servos and gyro and was wondering which transmitter would be good for starting out. I have been looking at the Futaba 6EX and Spectrum but I have read there are some issues with some spectrum models.

Advert

The question is where do you want to go in the future. Both Spectrum and Futaba have there share of problems. I started with a Dx6I when I got my first Raptor and it is a great TX. I did however want the Dx7 at the time and looking back I should have gone down that route. The six channel is fine but its when you need the seventh channel for say flybarless/Gov..

Ok at the moment this is a long way off for you as a beginner but its worth thinking about as it will save money later on.

I use a Dx7 with the AR7000 rx. This gives me seven channels to play with. I have now moved on to aircraft with flaps and retracts. To be honest there are times i wish I had eight channels.

You'll have no problems with either Futaba or Spectrum - both are excellent kit and it purely comes down to personal preferance.

Whether to go for a 6 channel or something bigger - well that's a big call. The 6 will certainly do for now - and probably for at least a year. But you will outgrow it and eventually you will want a bigger system. I wouldn't personally go 7 channels if I was going bigger I'd go 8 - that will all the growing room you'll need until you eventually need a new tranny anyway.

So, as I see it the choices are:

a. keep the price down now and buy either a Futaba or Specktrum 6 channel - but you might well grow out of it before it wears out and face buying a replacement in 12-18 months. But you'll still have a spare tranny - which can be handy!

b. Spend a fair bit more now but "future proof" yourself with again either a Futaba or a Spectrum, 8 channel Tx that will last you years.

The choice is yours!

BEB

I think the pros and cons of 6 or 7 (or more) channels have been covered well. But there's a couple of other thing you might want to consider in the Spektrum/Futaba debate:-

There's many "bind'n'fly" models (fixed wing and helis) which are ready built with receiver and servos, which only need a transmitter and battery; but they're only compatible with Spektrum transmitters.

For anything other than "park" flying, Spektrum receivers often need a "satellite" receiver to improve reception. To my mind (I'm not a Spektrum user) this complicates things more than necessary, and doesn't give any measurable benefit over the Futaba system which simply uses two receiver antennae which are installed at 90 degrees to each other.

For me it's an easy choice. Spektrum dx8. I love mine. I was always a Futaba person but for me it's a no-brainer. Using DSMX receivers I've had rock solid performance in a RF heavy environment, the programming is very intuitive and it's a nicely made bit of kit- feels very smooth etc etc.

I was just going to buy a DX6 then though "for a little more I could get a DX7s", then saw that for not much more I could go the whole hog and get a dx8. Particularly when, at the moment, there's a deal going on the dx8 where you get 3 free receivers I think it's a no-brainer.

Ben, I understand your enthusiasm - but the problem is now I can almost hear the keys tapping from the Futaba guys saying why they think its a "no brainer" you should buy Futaba! And then the whole thread spins downward into the old Specktrum vs Futaba debate.

I stick by what I said - there's nothing to pick between the two. Both systems work fine, in terms of features they are 99% the same and the small difference amounts to what you prefer rather than need. Even the BnF difference that Alan refers to is going away now - the new Foamie Acro Wot for example will be BnF with Futaba!

Owen the best advice I can give you is this:

1. Do your homework on features and prices - I think you'll find that the two are much of a muchness at this level.

2 Go to the LMS and hold the two in your hands and pick the one that feels best to you. (remember to ask the shop to put the battery in - it can make a big difference to the feel of the tranny. Close your eyes and feel for the switches etc. assess how well they fall under your fingers.)

3. If you still can't decide between them on that basis, pick the one that you like the colour of!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/06/2012 10:09:47

A major consideration for a beginner is availability of buddying - if you're going to join a club and get some instruction it would be best to talk to them first before making a decision.

It's very true what BEB says about the transmitter debate - despite being thoroughly ashamed of it, I have to admit to a tiny pang of satisfaction when I hear about a problem or difficulty affecting a system other than my choice - human nature is a terrible thing!

Edited By Martin Harris on 13/06/2012 10:01:44

I started flying on Heli's, and got a Futaba FF7, which I still use today...

I prefer Futaba, but that's just personal..

If I could do it again NOW, i'd get a Spectrum set... NOT cuz it's better, but because there are a miriad of BNF's (as Allan mentioned above) that are ready out the box..

Even if that's not your bag, it does add an extra dimension to the Tx... ( I ended up buying a Dx6 JUST to fly two tiny BNF planes )

I'd also agree with BEB, to either get a 6ch now, and upgrade later, OR go the whole hog, and get an 8 or 9ch..

My 7ch is fine for everyday stuff, but for special 'projects', 7 channels is becoming limiting..!! Never thought i'd say that, but it's true..!

My current 26" STOL could use 8 channels if I got carried away..!

No one has mentioned JR TX's yet..?? They also work on DSM (Spectrum) so work with BNF's, but are of a superior Quality ( and price) to Speccy.. In my opinion..

To sum up, i'd either get a Dx6 now, and a JR / Dx8 later OR.... A nice Futaba or JR 8-9ch now, which will last forever...

If you go for the more expensive 8-9 channel option, I'd highly recommend that you go somewhere that will let you hold the Tx's first.. Flick switch's, push buttons, maybe play with the menu's to get a 'feel' for it in your hand.. etc... They cost alot, and it's important you feel comfortable with it..

The smaller, cheaper 6ch is a no brainer, so just get a Dx6, regardless of 'feel'..

HTH's...

Luv

Chrisie.. xx