My turn!!

Major

Hi all!

Today was my turn to maiden some wood.... The day was quite strange and long, weather didn't look good in any way, rain was coming up quickly...

First I called friend and we arranged to meet in Moor Park, because of large space availible... So about hour later or so, we met there and I started to prepare everything. Tank filled, clip fitted to glow stick, all insides ready and only wind was getting stronger and stronger ... Then Kal advised me to abort any attempt as I'd just and only crash my new plane. Not really happy, but listened to him and packed all stuff to the box, disconnected RX battery, drained out fuel and together with Kal, we came back home (thanks for a lift mate!!). You know that stupid feeling, when just weather doesn't allow You to go out?? I do very well... Stuck to the window I've been watching trees and other plants waving, but there was a moment of silence... I thought "do or die!" so just took all stuff again and ran to the park round the corner. It was windy, with some very strong blows, but mostly it didn't feel so bad... Quick check, engine running, last preparations. Then I just reminded myself Beb's words - "launch as level as possible". Quick look onto the model and she went as level as I could throw. Nose gone a bit upwards, but plane started to go down, almost touching the grass by the tail. So I thought "will try again", but she climbed up!! I was not enjoying long flight, because wind was pushing her far too strong, but managed to land safely, no damages occured. Anyway, flight was much longer than my usual 3-5 seconds, there was just few drops of fuel left in tank...

So now I know, my Sharkface is in flying condition, the only thing is that Cox is weaker than CF2812 on3S, but

First:

The fuel I used contains just 10% of nitro... Not really good then..

And second

I have checked weather forecast - BBC states winds of 23mph today!!!

So all I have to do now is just wait for calmer weather conditions and get fuel which contains 25-30% nitro.

Just before maiden...

I am very happy anyway, because Sharky has proved its flying abbilitiescool ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. I am sure that with stronger fuel and calmer weather it'll go just fine. And now is the time to pick up another project...

Cheers

Tom

Edited By Major on 20/06/2012 23:02:53

Advert

congratulations Major,

one thing tho, i dont think more nitro will make that much difference really, if its more power you want your better off saving your money for a bigger engine / motor etc, or if its longer flights you want a bigger fuel tank. I run most of my engines on 5% and they run great

Thank You John!

To be honest, I don't know. I never used any other fuel than Model Technics 10%, manual for Cox states about 20% as far as I remember, and that wind didn't help really... I might find some other props as well, because now I used TD 6x3, but in that way - I'd just make another plane... Will give it a try in better weather, but don't think I will be able to stay with this one and pray for windless day to fly a bit. I just have to study my list and pick up next project, I consider for now Sandow, Pix-E Major, Sawdust, Bazzbomb, Matador and Mini Super/Super 60... Difficult choice...

Cheers

Thank You Myron!

Unfortunately it is, even more covered by foliage... However, there is some hope yet, as I've met one guy who has a pro conuction ladder. It should last to get onto the tree and allow myself to reach the top...

Well, people learn whole life, don't they??wink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

I do try to be patient and not to rush things... I can be calm while building, but still can't get used to British weather especially here in North-West... Rain, wind,rain+wind, and some extra rainwink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. When I got a plane ready to launch hanged on the wall in my workshop, I just go crazy sometimes... Like yesterdaywink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

Thank You David!

Major

I would be very surprised if going from 10 to 20% nitro would make very much difference to the power of a reed induction Cox. It might be noticeable on a front induction Cox Tee Dee but even then I doubt it would be more than 5%.

I think what you have discovered is that brushless motors , particularly out runners, are surpringly efficient at converting their input watts into thrust. The high reving Cox sounds rather more impressive than the thrust it actually creates!

Thank You Jo!

Simon

I must agree with You. When I first bench tested the engine, I was very impressed - how that little thing can be that quick?? But what I've seen in flight was a bit different, but I have noticed, that due to less power, Sharky wasn't jumping in the air, just climbed constantly with no down elevator to keep it nice. When the fuel is nearly used and plane becomes slightly tail-heavy, then it starts to be fun!cheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. Electric was much more powerfull and even launch was much easier - now I have to throw it like javelin.

And will have to set D/R as till now I have used just maximum throws. Flight is nice, but for plane's safety will need to set it up.

Best regards

Tom

Edited By Major on 22/06/2012 11:31:37

Thank You very much for advice Lee!

Without fuel, Sharky is just a little bit tail-heavy, with fuel - a little bit nose-heavy (either case very, very slight). To ballance it perfectly, I'd need to add some weight now, or make hole big enough to fit the battery a bit further to the front. Both cases now don't make me really happy, cause I remember my first landings with my EP version - battery kept jumping out with some damages, and the plane is heavy enough by now, if not too heavy for this particular engine...

I remember, when I received the plan, mate told me about that. Now I just know what he meantwink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. Basically, the flight is usually gentle, when the fuel runs out - plane starts to "jump" in the air, but it's nothing new - EP on full power was flying same way, but was ballanced perfectly...

BTW, just yesterday I realised that Den has a photo of Yourssmiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..... Your fish looks really cool, Lee!

Anyway, this one is gonna be reserved just for very calm days, now I started Scamp, just to keep me going, and soon will pick up something bigger.

This was a good lesson again - EP would be better for now... but from other side the feeling of "vintage spirit" is very good experience!

Cheers

Tom

Aaron, if You really want to build this one, just PM me Your address and I'll make a copy of the plan and post it to You.

And after what I've seen - do it electric mate... Longer flight time, clean model, easier launch, much more power... I do like it and will keep flying this one, but IMHO EP was much better...

Regards
Tom

oh, i like the mcCoy and are they really that bad??.......and i am getting a nice order together from xena of cox engines, i am going to do some very odd mods to them that i have found in some old aeromodeler books, i am going to buy a few spare pistons as they aint to expensive.......

as for ep i aint really a fan, i like oily hand saturdays

ads

1. dished piston

2. tapered piston

3.dished and tapered

am going to try with std head and with a head conversion with std and long reach plug.

then maybe change port timing a small amount and maybe some lightering of moving parts.

just want to try diffrent things with engines, oh yeah might be getting a alu piston and titanium pistons made for me aswell by my big brother