VG6DR transmitter - is it recoverable?

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie so any advice welcome. My son's interested in a setup I build 14 years ago and never flew. I've replaced the batteries and swopped the battery connectors on my Sanwa VG6DR transmitter/receiver. Unfortunately I mixed up the wires on the transmitter and burnt a component on the circuit board (burning smell when I turned it on and a nasty black mark on one on the components).

Is it possible to repair the transmitter (replace the circuit board etc)?

Can I prove if the receiver is OK? I thought there may be some servo movement when I turned it on, but they don't budge.

Having spent a small fortune on new batteries, glowplug heater etc I'm looking for as cheap a way as possible to get this thing going to see if my son's interested. Any details of how to repair the transmitter, get a secondhand replacement VG6DR, or what other secondhand transmitter would be a suitable replacement would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Darren

Advert

TBH, a much better transmitter/receiver combination can be bought brand new for a few pounds these days and the potential reliability of old/repaired kit would make this a better option.

Makes such as Planet and FRSky might be worth looking at but even the more traditional radios are far cheaper these days than they've ever been.

Your servos will almost certainly be compatible (very old Sanwa ones aren't) - if yours have red/blue/black wires (IIRC) they should work fine.

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/07/2012 12:40:41

Another idea is go and talk to a local club. I'm not sure from your post if you are expereinced at flying, or not.

A good club will introduce you to someone who can look your model over and make sure it is safe to fly, and help you learn to fly it. I'm sure many clubs could help you get your hands on a suitable second hand radio that can be connected to an instructor's radio by means of a buddy lead. (I know for example a couple of the members of my club have unused radios.)

There is lots of second hand 35mhz radio gear around at the moment at fairly modest money, and I would have thought something like £40 or so would be a fair price for a basic by todays standard 6 channel radio in good condition.

If you are not an experienced flyer, please don't try and fly it. It is possible to teach yourself to fly, I did it myself, but not with an IC aeroplane which is a lot more dangerous than something small and electric made of foam. There are not really many places apart from a club where you can get away with flying an IC aircraft anyway.

Where are you in the country? You never know there might be someone on the forum who can introduce you to a club.

Alan is right to point out about Mode. Older Tx had to have the rate switches changed as well as the throttle rachet. Latest Tx have software which can be changed from Mode 2 to Mode 1 and only the rachet needs swopping over,

But far better to get a 2.4 Ghz Tx & Rx if possible. I would reckon even the cheap 2.4 would be likely to be more reliable than a secondhand 35 mhz of unknown provenance.

Note that older Sanwa had different voltage charger and check the polarity is correct too ( Spektrum & JR are opposite polarity to Futaba chargers. )