Tx, Rx & Servo Combo's

Hi, may seem like a daft question but I'm new to the hobby. I have the plane the engine and am now looking at the radio set. What I would like to know is do you have to have the same make (i.e. Futaba, Spektum, Hitec etc) Tx, Rx and servos or can you have a mixture i.e Futaba Tx, Hitec Rx and JR servos?

Hope this makes sense, thanks for any help received.

Craig.

Advert

In general you can mix and match 35 Mhz PPM receivers and transmitters but PCM and 2.4 Ghz equipment is proprietry and each requires its own make of Tx and Rx to work.

When mixing differing makes of Tx and Rx make sure you use the manufacturers own crystal ie Futaba Tx Futaba xtal, Hitec Rx, Hitec Xtal etc.

Virtually all servos will work with other makes of Tx and Rx however I have come across an instance of Hitec Digital servos giving problems working with Futaba 138 DC Rx.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Craig

I'm by no means an expert but I recently bought a Graupner MX 12 TX and found that my Hitec HFS-05MS RXs would not work with it. My old Sanwa and Multiplex RXs were fine even with my Sanwa RX crystals fitted to the Multiplex RX. I have been advised to use the Hitec crystals with Hitec RXs and have ordered a pair. Just as Brian advises above. 

Jon 

Hi Craig,

This game is fraught with problems, and remember, even a minor one can lead to disaster...So, I reckon you eliminate as many as you can...Sure you can mix and match, but if it all goes wrong, where does the blame lie? So, If you can afford it, stick to the same brand, especially for the transmitter & reciever

ernie

Hi Craig,

I had a severe range problem using a new Hitec Optic 6 Tx with my Futaba Rx's and Hummingbird Heli Rx. I could only get about 10-15 feet with the aerial collapsed. It is the only Hitec Tx I've ever owned so I had no comparison to another of that make in case it was a Tx fault. I was reinbursed in full by the shop I got it from.

I get full range using my JR 2610 Tx with Hitec/Futaba/JR full range Rx's, no problems as with my Futaba Tx. If I was starting from fresh now, I would definitely stay to the same manufacturer Tx/Rx wise to keep it standard, all you have to do with analogue servos though it seems is make sure you ask for the correct plug to fit the make of Rx you have.

Good luck.