Club Vandalism

May I suggest as a replacement you consder obtaining a second hand shipping container(they come in 20' and 40' lengths) and site it on second hand railway sleepers. They are very robust being made of steel and very hard to get in to if you get a box arrangment welded on to contain the v/good quality padlock bolt. That way bolt cutters are ineffective and the only tool of use would be a petrol disc cutter.

The disadvantage is that there is no windows or ventilation and they can get v/hot inside without the benifit of some shade.

Advert

My clubs not long replaced the aged caravan and bought one of the insulated type containers as a clubhouse, this sort of thing but without wheels and proper doors, weve managed to cut a hole in the side and fitted a perspex window, just as good and secure as a shipping container, with a view, and warm in winter / cool if we ever get a summer, but anything of remotely any value is locked away a normal steel container

we've got a customised container,two windows and a proper steel door.windows have heavy steel shutters which are opened from inside.end of container is sealed off for storage,again extremely difficult to access,as mentioned a heavy duty petrol cutter would be needed.

but,if someone wants to get into something that badly,they will.

senseless destruction of property is just,well, "senseless".

The subtitle is the exact reason why I hate the name that is put on the generation that I am in caused be certain youngsters that think fooling around and causing mischief is a good idea. We are not all like it and its awful that it seems that way...... Concorde and me mean no harm, never have and never will and its a shame that it looks that way....

I think those people need to find a hobby! Hope its not this one because they will try to ruin it!

Tom

Have to agree with Tom. I didn't see the subtitle, I will not put direct blame on the guy who wrote it since they are obviously very angry about their clubhouse, so it is only natural to look for someone to blame, in this case, youngsters. I'm sure if something similar happened to me I would write the same.

But I don't think it is a fair comment. Not all young people find satisfaction in destroying things and causing mischief, Tom and I are prime examples. It may be that they have nothing to do, so like Tom said, they need a hobby!

Like I said before, I have no anger against Cymaz and I feel sorry that his club has taken a blow, never good. Hope you recover quickly and well!

CS

our club bought a used 20 foot container, its not got windows, but it has proved resilient when the local, y-- sorry, local adults tried to have a bonfire next to it, it cost £100, and another £100 to get it there, at work, we needed storage, we bought a brand new one journey 20 footer at work, with front opening doors, delivered to our door for £800, BARGAIN,

Have to agree with Stephen Grigg and his last comment.

To all you young guys, teens up to my age, that fly, build, and obviously crash from time to time, proves the point that we have all been inspired to do good deeds, not damage others property, reasoning that it hurts to lose something you have built or put your time,effort, or money toward. we only destroy when we have a radio glitch, a pair of thumbs with pins and needles, or magnetic trees and fence posts.

bbc.

I think we all know that the majority of young people are responsible and well-behaved. My grandchildren are coming into the teens and, like the young members of my club, I see how hard they work at school and at their hobbies, sports and pastimes, and the respect they have for their parents, their elders and other peoples' property. It's not luck - their parents brought them up that way. It's always a handful of kids, the feckless offspring of feckless parents (sadly, self-perpetuating) who give a bad name to all youngsters. As a police officer, I had to deal with yobs from all social levels, and the worst were from the 'landed gentry' who had every advantage in life but were the most obnoxious. At least a sink-estate kid had some sort of excuse, however weak and unacceptable, for his/her behaviour. As a boy, just a glance from the local bobby was enough to terrify me, knowing that if he caught me up to no good he would be round to see my father and I'd be in bother twice-over, so I kept away from trouble.

But, this sort of mindless vandalism, whoever caused it, is sickening to us all.

Thanks for the show of support - much appreciated.

At the club we welcome kids yound and old with open arms and minds when it comes to model flying. It doesn't matter who you are, where you live, everyone is there to fly and have a laugh and a good time.

It is the general view of the club that it is 12/13 that did the arson and past vandelism. A hole used to be smashed in the hut side and then the hut contents tossed all over the place. the holes were never more than about 2ft wide. The hut is at the end of a dead end road and not sign posted with a locked gate.

I'm not blaming all kids- no don't get me wrong- it's just based on previous knowledge and evidence. We never had trouble in term time only in the school holidays.

The club will be having a fund raising event in September to replace some of the gear burnt. Any offers of supporting the event near St. Austell in Cornwall will be receieved with open arms. I will give details to anybody who would like to come and support .

Edited By cymaz on 20/07/2012 09:58:00

• 2 weeks later...