French regulations

Advert

In a nutshell, you can fly models up to 25kg AUW, with an engine n/e 250cc and a power output n/e 15KW, without special permission. Above that, the authorisation procedure is much like that of the LMA/CAA system.

This link may help.

If you are using 2.4Ghz, you need to adopt the 'French' setting on the Tx, which reduces the range of frequencies to those currently authorised (should be adopting European norm any time now......).

Some 35Mhz frequencies are compatible with those in the UK.

Your BMFA insurance will provide cover whilst you are in France.

Pete

Don't forget now to drive in France you have to have shed loads of safety stuff in the car including (for this year) 2* disposable breathalysers! And they (along with the high vis jacket, reflective triangle, spare bulbs, headlight correctors etc) have to be reachable from inside the car so don't stick them in the boot.

The French police are making a packet stopping UK drivers (who are blissfully unaware of the French laws) and fining them.

Hi Paul, I wouldn't touch 35Mhz (don't ask why) 24 is just fine... Scottish Aeromodellers insurance works fine, so I assume BMFA is OK. As Ben says, there are many rules about what you have to have in the car, But in many years, I've never seen them enforced

But, be careful, It's not all roses here, roads can be closed for hours for Bradley Wiggins, The sun will burn you, and there are many inexpensive, but head turning liquids in the bars

ernie

BMFA would cover you for visits to France - residents would go through their club or FFAM for insurance.

Don't get too spooked by Ben's doom-laden warnings - only the high-vis jacket needs to be 'within reach', intended to ensure you put it on before getting out of the vehicle. As Ernie says, it isn't that often that folk are fined for such infringements - it is more likely if you fail the attitude test, naturally......smile

You will be ripped off at the ferry ports if you pay £6.99 for a pair of 'Ethylotest' devices. Wait until you get here and buy them in the supermarket for €1 (78p) each, if you must........no-one is going to be fined the €9 (£7) until November, anyway.

Pete

Channels 60 and 61 are fine here in France thay came in about 2 years ago and that is what I use at a local flying club, in fact I was flying on channel 60 a year before it came in. I was told at a model shop here that some french have been using 35 meg for about 8 years as thay say "If it works without problems then to hell with the rules use it. Lets face it what country in the EEC makes there cement bags bigger when the new rules for the EEC 2 or 3 years ago was to make them smaller THE FRENCH of course.

I sometimes wonder if people read previous posts in a thread Pete B said:

'n a nutshell, you can fly models up to 25kg AUW, with an engine n/e 250cc and a power output n/e 15KW, without special permission. Above that, the authorisation procedure is much like that of the LMA/CAA system.'

I can only refer you to my first post, Paul, which mentions the limit at 25kg. If you follow the link I provided, to the FFAM, the French equivalent of BMFA, it is there in blue and white..........wink 2

The latest regs (accessible via the button: Order of April 11, 2012) contains the following:

May 10, 2012
GAZETTE OF THE FRENCH REPUBLIC

Classification of unmanned aircraft.
Civil aircraft are unmanned classified into the following categories:
Class A:
- Whether or not motorized model aircraft maximum takeoff weight of less than 25 kg, or, for
aircraft inert gas, total mass (structural mass and load carried) less than 25 kg,

ANNEX I

ACTIVITY ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF aéromodèles

A. Principle of movement of model aircraft

1.1. The class A model aircraft shall be exempt from airworthiness document and are allowed to fly without additional requirements on their ability to fly and without any other condition relating to capacity requirements or the people who use them.

1.2. The specific model aircraft Class A as defined in Article 5 are not run under conditions
where there would be a likely threat to third parties

I hope this helps......

Pete