modelling crisis - advice needed

Simon B

I've got a bit of a point where I'm a bit fed up. I've got some cracking planes and do enjoy flying them, but they're mainly 40 sized and I live in a first floor flat and have a hatchback. The combo of inconvenient circumstances (we moved in recently) has taken some of the pleasure out of it and I want the enthusiasm back.

The basic conundrum is this: do I sell my larger models or put them in storage? If the latter and I have to put them in the loft, is there any advice to stop them getting damaged? I'll strip the electronics out first.

Once I've done this I'm going back to models up to 1.2m wingspan, which are easier to manage in my current situation...

Edited By Simon B on 25/07/2012 16:27:02

Advert

Don't dispare Simon... face 11 There will be plenty of peeps on here to buy your stuff...

Just kiddin...

The bigger birds are nice to fly, especially if scale, but it's suprising how much of that fun can be replicated with a smaller model these days. The simplicty of throwing it the boot and flying on a coin is part of that pleasure.. I'd love a big BIG plane, but in reality i've nowhere to put it where it wont get damaged, so i'm better off with 3 or 4 or 8 smaller 1m W/S own-designs, that I can cram into a corner...

Hope that helps make the decision easier...

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

I'm the opposite to you. All I have are parkflyers up to 1.2 metre (with the exception of a 2 metre sailplane) and I'd love a large scale plane.

The parkflyers are handy for throwing in the boot for an impromtu fly when the occasion arises. However, they do suffer more in the wind than larger scale planes I've seen fly. This does present a nice challenge to your flying skills, especially if trying to land in a gusting crosswind.wink

I keep all my larger models in the loft.

Of course I worry about them up in the heat but so far no damage or warping. I like to fly my Piper Pawnee 40. With a 80" wing span and being Nitro it requires a lot more kit to fly.

I always take my Pulse XT 25. This one gets thrown about and repair after repair but is still flying.

Some say the type of model you dont mind if you crash but I have found that this is the plane I fly most. I used to keep a rough count of the flights but after i got to 100 flights I stopped counting and that was last year. lol.

Get something like the Wot4 foam e. Soooo, convenient to use. Fits in the car assembled. I got gome stressed tonight, and was out the door and flying in 10 mins. 20 mins and back home....

Or make something for storage to carry the models in. When i was at school i made up a carrier that i used with a fishing box on wheels. It made it much easier to transport.

Just try and adapt...

I do have a couple of things ready for a good home if someone wants them:

Graham Dorschell kyten - needs sanding down, recovering and a motor. Has servos and an ESC.

Irving flying wing (xcite?) - prepped to take an outrunner, again needs a mod or two - probably some down thrust. No electronics at all

Make me an offer. I just want shot!

keep those models for now,Simon B, some models once gone from the shelves are hard to come by again, you will get nostalgic and wish you kept them if you ever see someone flying the same type of model. There seems to be a bit of retro making a scene at the moment ( good article in the June 2012 mag.) Will these be things of desire in years to come? Don't ask me about starage i had rodents make a nest out of one plan built but uncovered model that was stored in a cardboard box with mothballs.

cheers. bbc

Simon, flying is like so many other things in life. Compromise.

Building space, storage, transport to the field, and of course your better half. I could build and store larger models but then the car would have to set outside. That does not make for a happy household. So I build and fly things in the 24 to 36 wingspan range. Keeps Mum happy and I can fly close by.

Don't get rid of planes you enjoy flying unless you are sure you will not be moving the rest of your life. The road of life has some unforseen twists and turns and it is hard to replace some thing once it is gone.

Dear Simon,tree years ago,I was ina similar (roomy) situation.Coming to the forum,I realized and accepted models of 1.2 to max 1.4 and I can say that I'm not mistaken.Also in the same time,thanks to Mr.Tim Mackey,I crossed to the ''dark side'' -E-power train...and my doubts are gone...face 1

Thanks for Yours time

Jo.

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 26/07/2012 07:16:18

You talk about small cars. Well, I drive an Aixam, French microcar. I can get a 50" wing across the back compartment. Longer wings have to go in the passenger seat. Same with fuselages. Very few fuselages are longer than that when using up to .46 size engines.

I can also fit in my electric fishing trolley, my bbig flight box, large camera bag and other bits and pieces.

Many years ago my workshop was out side in an old prefab house. The models lived there all the year round. Now I use my spare bedroom The bigger of the two) as workshop and model storage.