Fuel Tee

timberfix

Hi all,

need a bit of help with the fuel line of my first petrol engine model. The instructions say i need a fuel tee but after going to Als and Slough models, who say they dont sell them, im now at a loss as where to go.

I just assumed it would be a standard part for a petrol fuel system that you would get anywhere. Can any experienced petrol engine user tell me where to get one please ?

Steve

Advert

The feed comes from the tank into the tee, then one tube goes to the fuel filler dot and the other goes through a filter then into the carb. Like i said petrol is new to me, so i can only go by the instructions, unless somebody can tell me a better way to do it ?

CARE!

Yiu will need a different 'rubber' bung for the tank. The usual ones eventually dissolve with petrol. Dubro do one, I got mine from Hobbystores.

Also, the usual fuel tube, silicone, falls apart with petrol. Use 'tygon' or similar I also got that from Hobbystores.

Other than that, your fuel arrangement can be the same as you did with glow, except you dont use an exhaust pressure line but a vent. The vent pipe in the tank goes to the top, just as a glow pressure line does, the outlet goes to the bottom of the plane (otherwise the fuel will run out when inverted).

Now the main thrust of this is over, why is it that so many people over complicate systems?

Not long back I bought a 50 size Heli. It had clamps everywhere, carb feed, exhaust to tank, tank to header. It also had a three pipe header, with a separate feed pipe. The heli has a built in frame pinch for the fuel to shut it off anyway!!

It looked like an Italian restaurants scrapbin on a Sunday morning and was as easy and convenient to use as a pair of ice skates in the Sahara.

Now, I already had two of these Helis, and I'd set up both of them with a two pipe header. To fill you have to take off something even if its a plug end, so I take off the pipe between the filter and the header and fill there with my manual filtered hand pump, easy, simple and foolproof. You cannot put fuel into the engine by mistake as the pipe is off! Both these Helis have run perfectly for years like that.

SO.....................What on earth was the guy thinking when he plumbed that lot!!

It was the same with the electrics. I re-routed the wiring in a proper loom fashion and "saved" no less than FOUR extensions!!

Hello timber fix . Dont use the Tee in the fuel line ,its a recipe for problems like "If it can allow an air leak it will" ! petrol engines dislike air leaks in the fuel line just as much as other engines so run a seperate filler / drain tube to the tank and use a one piece fuel line to the carb .The second reason for not using the tee for filling is that if you manage to pump and dirt or foriegn matter into the tank the clunk filter will catch it then it will be sucked into the carb. Pumped carbs such as Walbro and Delorto are a nightmare to clean, so prevention is the better option . use a felt or Sintered bronze clunk to filter the fuel from you can and another in the tank to filter it again .

E.D.

ED,

I don't like filters in the tank because you have to remove and take the tank apart to clean it (I am always disappointed that when I have done that I have never found it to be dirty). So I put it in the fuel line outside. Gives another source of leaks, as you say, but a twist of soft copper wire prevents that.