Time for new servos?

When is some enterprising servo manufacturer going to throw away the mould and give us, (I mean sell) a servo that is:- Universal, for wing or fuse fitting. Worm and quadrant drive that will eliminate "blow back". Interchangable gearing, (for torque or speed). A genuine 10v input, (instead of this 7.4v, 2 lipo sales blurb. My volt meter shows 2 lipos as 8.4v. If we had such a servo you would be able to buy what they offering us now at two for a pound on any street corner!

Advert

I'm not so sure...

Eliminate blowback - the problem with the worm drive is that bumping a surface wil break something rather than moving the servo and if the servo is sized for the job then blowback will not occur, at least for the vast majority of regular size models.

Variable gearing and 'universal mount' - I take it you are not thinking of servos for use in the average sports model here?

Actually I have several planes which are using only one type of servo in the whole plane - for instance:

Seagull Extra 300 60 size - all Spektrum DS821 except trottle - which is smaller

Sebart Angel 50 - all Spektrum DS 821

E-flite Extra 300 -30 - all Hitec HS 225MG

If you have super fast, super big models than you have to invest also into super expensive servos. For the every day plane I don't see any problem.

VA

Bob, The advantage of the worm and quadrant is the aerodynamic loading on the control surfaces is not transferred back to the servo. This relieves loading on the gear train, the servo motor is not having to be supplied with amps to hold the c/surface allowing more power to go to the servos that you want to move. In my experience, if you are feeding power through a regulator what you are told you will get as regards amps you should halve it. Crow braking will show the lack of power, or telemetry. As for the control surfaces not moving when we knock them, we must treat aircraft with respect when we handle them.

Servo drive apart, I've been wishing for years that all servo manufactuyrers would give us a choice of cases for each and every servo.......securing shoulders at the top, for conventional installation needs and shoulders at the side so they can be fixed flat in a wing for aileron use. That's not asking for the world is it? And either type should be the same price rather than paying oodles more for a "special" aileron servo. But not one manufacturer is interested.

Maurice,

Don't worry about the 8.4 voilts. The onload voltage of two lipos is 7.2 to 7.4 volts and that is fine for all the 'two lipo 'servos. Your 8.4 volts is offload.

What I would REALLY like to see is the option of the old 'linear servos' of a good few years ago. The opput was two racks iinside with an upright servo arm out of the top. They truly moved in a linear fashion, backwards and forwards, just like the pushrod you attach them to. A rotary servo output goes sideways as well as backwards and forwards, so cannot be linear..Every 'good and expensive' heli you see claims that its wonderful CCPM setup avoids interaction between the controls.In fact this is totally impossible with rotary output servos. With linear servos there will be no interaction at all. There were dozens of them, Some had the option of rotary or linear. Bring them back!!!

Mark,

Thanks for the info on 2s lipos. Where I have 7.4v servos I will remove the regulator and keep my fingers crossed!

As for the old linear servos, yes, lets have an updated version. You know, if I were a servo manufacturer I would be looking to make a product that has "saleability" in its spec, not just something that every Tom, Dick or Hitec makes.

Alan,

Wireless? You still need a power lead, which is two wires, so you had just as well put the signal lead in too, which is how they are now.

Futaba S-bus? Better, a few less wires, but not many. It is techincally not new at all. All they have done is add a 'shift register' to the servo, or the S-bus adapters for old servos, led the single output wire from the receiver proper to the input of the existing shift register already in the receiver case to a socket as well, to which you plug the S-bus system. The Futaba S-bus system and servos works fine with most Multplex systems too, as they have done a similar thing in their receivers, but have not made any fuss about ut.

On a multi-servo wing, ailerons, flaps, electic u/c you can presently end up with six leads. You can simplify this by stringing all the power and ground leads between the servos.

I'd just like to see a servo with the lead routed out of the case above the mounting lugs, or even better, without a lead at all - sockets for click locking plugs built in instead. Then servo leads could be removable at the servo end making the servos easier to get out for servicing and we could avoid having joins in servo extensions hidden away in places you can't get at them.

Surely that wouldn't be too hard to do?

John, Sorry to bang on about MPX. Their servos up to about 18 months ago all had the leads coming out of the top. Their truly excellent 'wing servos' had click-in leads just like you suggest. Plus the output arm fully supported on both sides, not stuck out of the end of the case.

Then they got taken over by HiTec. Now their servos are just HiTec ones in traditional MPX red cases so all that good design has gone.

I don't really 'bang on' about MPX. I didn't buy it then try to justify it afterwards. I boughtb it because I thought it was good, it had 'justified itself to me' before I bought it. If I had not liked it I would have bought something else.

smiley

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 21/08/2012 15:51:59

Mark, there was me thinking I was being an original thinker! I didn't know about the MPX ones, but it's such a shame that sensible design features like that are chucked out presumably in the name 'standardisation' or more likely, cost cutting. Or probably some guy in marketing said 'there's just no demand for that sort of thing' based on a customer clinic conducted down the pub, and that was that.

Posted by Mark Powell 2 on 21/08/2012 14:58:57:

... What I would REALLY like to see is the option of the old 'linear servos' of a good few years ago. The opput was two racks iinside with an upright servo arm out of the top. They truly moved in a linear fashion, backwards and forwards, just like the pushrod you attach them to. A rotary servo output goes sideways as well as backwards and forwards, so cannot be linear..Every 'good and expensive' heli you see claims that its wonderful CCPM setup avoids interaction between the controls.In fact this is totally impossible with rotary output servos. With linear servos there will be no interaction at all. There were dozens of them, Some had the option of rotary or linear. Bring them back!!!

But, if you use linear servos you need to make your control horns linear too, don't you? I can't think of any on my models that are linear wink