Fule pumping issues

Mark Spindler

Hi have just purchased all the bits to pump fuel into my plane. I am using a mechanical pump and have set up all the tubing i think in the correct manner. When I tried to pump fuel using the pump no fuel was flowing through the pipes. I have since tried to pump water through the pump and this has worked. Am now stumped as to why fue is not flowing since the pump seems to be working. Have checked for obvious blockages!

Advice appreciated please

Mark

Advert

how many fuel tubes do you have from your tank, it could be there is nowhere for the displaced air from the tank to vent to, if theres 3 tubes through the fuel tank bung, there should be the top 2 pipes bent upwards inside the tank, one goes to the pressure nipple on exhaust and the other is left out to use to fill the tank and gets blocked off when in flight, attach your tube from your pump to this one, take the pressure pipe off the exhaust and fill until fuel comes out from that

Edited By Codename-John on 25/08/2012 14:00:05

What is the vertical height between the pump and the surface of the fuel in its container?

I find that my pump has a limit on the distance it can pull fuel and the pump is easiest primed when it is held close to the fuel level in the can. The tube to the pump should therefore be shorter than the tube from the pump to the tank i.e. short suck, long blow.

• 10 months later...

I have another pump issue thay someone may be able to help with.

I am running my first petrol engine. the tank has a clunk to the carb a drain pipe and a fill/empty line also with a clunk. I am using a petrol proof hand crank pump. all work fine when the pump is primed. The problem is getting the pumped primed in the first place. no amout of turning will prime the pump the only way of doing this is to suck fuel through the pump to prime it. Petrol in the mouth and on the lips is not good does anyone know of a better way (is there a different style of pump I should use?)

Phil I use one of these for petrol and I never have any issues with it - it's used for filling and emptying and it's completely emptied once I've finished de-fueling. If yours is the same type then I reckon it must be faulty - maybe the two halves of the casing aren't sealed properly.

Edited By Wingman on 20/07/2013 11:07:28

I have noticed some issues at our club field with new hand crank pumps, they refuse to prime unless turned at insane speed. One gave up altogether after about 2 weeks and had to be replaced. frown

I use an Irvine hand pump which has been working fine for 7 years. smiley