Toy Pilots

Flanker .

Wot fun these forum things are ! Just like a nice friendly ruck, oops! I mean discussion in the pub. We were on toy pilots and look where we are now ! keep it up and we will get this thread to the top of the list- not that I am a show off or anything ..... lol. I would like to say though, DO read ALL of the toy geezer related posts esp MINE before adding to this ... or not... I can feel my can of "Alhambra" kicking in so I'll go before I start spouting even more rubbish.... :)

Advert

"Model" planes also doing real work should include Target Drones.

I go with the "if its a model of a real world article, it needs a pilot/driver/etc", but if its a model model (like most 3D planes or helicopters) it might as well be pilotless...but to me it still does not look right to have NO cockpit or an obviously gapingly empty one......so I use and prefer the "dark tint" canopy, which hides the body count absence nicely!!

dave

When I were young we never knew what we wer' sniffing except it wer' pleasant ie cellulose dope ,ether ,paraffin,amyl nitrate ,(or amyl nitrite),anti-knock additive to you electric ARTFers for compression ignition engines.Heart stimulant to the medics out there .!I used to get the lot (apart from the paraffin )from my local chemists at the age of about eleven (& a splash of Castrol R smelt lovely as a superfluous lubricant) just like my motor bike (gold star) I might try meths before it's banned like everything else we used to use for a purpose other than get so called "high" like young kids today .Grumpy Myron again.

When I was about 12 or 13 (half a century ago) I used to buy paper bags of saltpetre (on my own) from my local Boots Chemist, no problems, no questions asked, to make indoor fireworks. Can you imagine that now? I can't even buy a tube of Evo-stik these days without getting funny looks.
Strangely you can buy raw alcohol in the pharmacy in Spain, without the horrible blue colouring and smell, but it costs about the same as a cheap Vodka so no point in trying to drink it.
Thinks - what do you do with Evo - Stik, glue Mitsubishi cars together?

Hmmmm I hope that I can read the forthcoming article without seeing red again ! I trust that us fans of planes not dolls won't get another hammering! I think that this thread shows that there ARE people who prefer their aircraft dummy free. Lets just show off all the fine plastic people available without the tired old line "we all hate an empty cockpit"
'coz not ALL of us do!

No I'm with you Flanker. I like an occupied cockpit as long as the pilot is suitable and in keeping. I've been flying a Hangar 9 Spitfire recently (the one on the front page) and the pilot is the finishing touch especially when the model is in the air.

You can see that some flyers have struggled to paint the figure so we've commissioned the military modelling mag' editor to write a feature for us on that.

Having said all that and writing as I am from a desk surrounded by boxes of little pilots I can honestly say there are some ghastly little figures in circulation!

David.

I have a major issues with these plastic fellas. "They dont fly very well" tend to look like someone you would cross the street for "to keep your distance" and can never show me any form of flying credentials.
As soon as any of them have damaged a model I have them replaced with "thin air".
My mates PT19 does have quite an atractive bird in the rear seat. This worries me though as she will be in control? saying that its still in one piece???

A female pilot was featured on the local Nooz last night (a real one...full size...talks an 'all). She's been flying round the country in a low-wing four/six seater (Couldn't tell from pictures) cesna-a-like, spreading the word on grants for disabled pilots.

the pictures of her formating with a Eurofighter were priceless!

Mind you - you couldn't really see the pilot in the Eurofighter......

AlistairT