Glass my Zagi

Just been messing about down the shed and I was looking at my old Zagi.

I was thinking, has anyone, or can anyone think of a reason why a Zagi can not be covered in glass fibre cloth to make a tuff, high wind model???

Is this possible?

I'd love to hear the feed back on this one.

Thanks all.

Phil

Advert

As Ben says with glass over foam it would be a bit prone to cracking on the surface.

If you were keen to do it i think the best way to go would be a laminate, of from the insde out have the foam core, then a layer of glass cloth, followed by a layer of maybe 1mm balsa, then a final layer of glass cloth on the outside. Might add a bit of weight but if its for heavy wind that might be a good thing It would need to be done with a vacuum system though to make sure it sticks evenly everywhere.

Hi, I've got the JP 480 si electric powered version and it's just covered with the recommended glass-weave tape and it has bounced a few times. The only bit to get damaged was the plastic motor pod as it is brittle. I would expect that covering it with a hard outer shell might have the same effect and be more prone to damage. I've flown mine in 40+ mph winds which is why I bought it in the first place. It is as it says on the box, "virtually indestructible". I patched up the motor pod with a balsa block to secure the motor & another balsa block shaped to replace the nose of the motor pod. The only plastic bit left is where the battery & ESC fits. Mine weighs just 1060g with about 120g of lead taped to the underside at the nose with another layer of G/W tape and it just loves a blow.

Also makes a great howligan machine on a calm day.devil.

Alwyn

Edited By Alwyn Gee on 30/09/2012 01:49:14

Some very strange advice here as usual, so I'll add mine! TEE HEE................

You have indicated that you want it tough and for high wind, so presumably heavier, but is there a hidden reason, like the tape is ugly and the wing is now full of dents??

I presume this is a "real" Zagi, with the "white foam" fragile expanded polystyrene sections?

If its become a prospect mainly as its gone tatty, then you'd be better off buying a decent alll EPP chevron wing as any way you choose its going to cost a bit in materials to cover it in glass, in which case save some money and improve overall at the same time, buy a FW Slipstream.

The way some replies read, they have not done what you suggest. I have.

I have wings that are Poly "C" water based "resin" covered, both with and without lightweight glass reinforcement. Also others by lots of other methods.

Poly "C" is non aggressive and can go on top of most foams, etc, etc. Does not smell either. It will still end up slightly more brittle than tape and can get tiny hairline cracks that do not affect its strength but do spoil the pristine effect, but a thin layer with lightweight glass is still very flexible, more so than epoxy resin, and can provide a decent tough finish, as (especially) my many years old much used proto FW Hawk will testify.

However,. within the life of the tapes flexibility and retained grip (before UV takes its toll and the adhesive dries out), taping is still the toughest and easiest means to cover a foam wing BAR ONE WAY.

That way is the so called "New Stuff", alias Laminating Film. To prepare for filming, it is best to "Spackle", or in other words use the superlightweight filler that seems like the tub is empty when you buy it, and then finish and decorate, then film. This gives the ultimate finish for looks and for abrasion resistance. You rely on what is underneath for the dent resistance, and that is where white foam as on a "real" Zagi falls down over EPP, and an all EPP wing like the Slipstream will always be "better" at surviving rough treatment.

To follow up on this do some reading up on the Dynamic Soaring sites/forums.

Do try Laminating Film!!

Hi Phil, I am sure you have had a load of fun with your Zagi but if it is looking a bit tired now perhaps it would be a better option to pension it off (I dare not say bin it!) and get yourself a Wildthing from SAS. It will fly better, particularly in a strong wind and when you consider the cost of resin/glass/paint it won't cost too much more. I think they cost £55.

If you prefer to give your old Zagi some TLC then, like Dave, I think poly C is the way to go as it will provide a tough surface while retaining some flexibility to absorb knocks.

Just my 2p worth.