Fly In France

Getting pretty fed up with the terrible weather this summer a few of us from our club decided to do some thing about it, we looked at various ideas for flying abroad and settled on Fly In France as advertised in RMC&e. Two years ago some guys from our club went abroad, the main grumble was the models supplied were not very good so picking some where within a reasonable driving distance seemed a good idea. This way we could take what we wanted. We hired a van and knocked up some racking with some thought we managed to get about 15 models of various sizes on board.

The venue is located in the Loire Valley central France so to keep the miles down we sailed from Portsmouth to Caen leaving a 4hr drive from the French coast to our destination. There was 5 of us in total so we also took an estate car over.

The venue used to be a working farm of 35 acres, bought by Brian Hilton who is an enthusiastic model flyer himself. The climate is more or less perfect we had 5 days of blue skies, 25 deg with very little wind. Brilliant.

Brian’s place is very much work in progress he plans to have up to 5 double rooms for staying on a B&B basis but these are not completed to date. He made arrangements for us to stay at a local English run B&B which I have to say was fabulous. Non of us wanted to fly every hour possible so a couple of trips out to local tourist places broke up the week but for the majority pure bliss just flying eating and drinking. What more could you want?

The trip worked out about £450 each with ferry, van hire, fuel, insurances ect. Money well spent should you be interested click here to see some more photos. So get some guys together and go to where the sun shines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This looks great, have bookmarked it and will look at timetable for this year or next year. I like that you have lessons for novices so that interests me a lot!

Can I just ask if it is possible to bring a dog subject to having dog passport and upto date vaccinations? It's not imperative nor would stop me looking to book, just a thought smiley