HobbyKing missing parcel

Hi all, had a HobbyKing parcel go missing en route from HK. I've raised a query with them and they're making all the right noises but it seems I have to wait up to 60 days before they will issue a replacement, in addition to the 30 I have already waited!

Has anyone else had experience of this and is it best to be patient and let them get on with it or raise a Paypal dispute before the 45 days is up? Advice gratefully received thanks.

Chris

Advert

I'm in the same situation. Posted from HK on the 15th Sept, and no one has seen it since. Will give them 40 days and then raise a dispute with paypal. I know its not their fault directly, but there are too many stories of nothing being done at the end of the 60 days, so I'm not taking the chance of throwing my money away.

Posted by Greybeard on 01/10/2012 10:11:03:

One of the problems of off-shore buying, most times it works but when it doesn't..........

I would start a disputes proceedure with PayPal before the 45 day period expires just to be on the safe side and then be prepared for a wait.

Definitely start a dispute. I had a package fail to arrive from another supplier and got a full refund from PayPal.

Until the package arrives at your door I believe it is still the supplier's responsibility.

I have just had a small HobbyKing parcel (A4 size padded envelope) delivered today that was posted on the 16th Sep (date of posting on the front of the parcel) and I paid for the Royal Mail express airmail delivery - looks like a small delay somewhere, perhaps at customs?

If yours are larger parcels then you might expect it to take a few days longer so perhaps give it a bit more time before going to PayPal?

This was sent from Honk Kong on August 27th so well over the 30 day limit by now. It seems to take 2 weeks on average.

I do try to support my LMS as much as possible, and have spent a fair bit there over the years, but there are some things they simply don't sell (carbon fibre tricopter frame in this case) so sometimes one has to shop abroad.

The consensus seems to be wait a bit then do a Paypal claim before their cutoff date. Thanks to all the contributors.

If the parcel is already in the post, surely filing a claim with HK will not affect delivery? :-s

I have had one or two parcels from HobbyKing take an extraordinarily long time to arrive. But I've placed a lot of orders and all the rest have been within the expected limits. Never did understand why it took so long when it goes by plane though. Maybe customs?

I had a parcel go missing from them recently.

It was discovered languishing in the UK customs shed, only no one there had contacted me to inform me, so it got put aside.

I traced it through the shipping number provided by Hobby King, and then contacting Singapore Post who delivered it to the UK. They made some enquiries and found it for me.

After contacting Customs, I paid a nominal fee and it was released and delivered after 5 weeks.

Not Hobby Kings fault at all, but outr post office customs department for failing to contact me (which they admitted) . The first person I spoke to on the phone there was absolutatley hopeless and of no help at all, so I called back and got a very helpfull person and it was all sorted in minutes.

Darryl

Djay, I have tried all the tracking options I can think of, Hong Kong, China, Singapore and Good old Royal Mail but they all return a blank. Bob, my thoughts exactly, a sort of insurance policy if HK fail to do what they should....

It's not about who's fault it is but at the moment I am £70ish out of pocket with nothing to show for it and would like some action!

Chris

As an online seller myself who accepts PayPal payments, I have to prove that the item was delivered to the registered account holders address, otherwise I risk my payment being reversed (full refund back to the buyer). PayPal are very good at doing this without mercy and they tend to always be on the buyers side.

It's a real problem when things go wrong and this rule pushes the cost of my shipping up, however those are the rules with PayPal. The seller is made responsible for delivery of the goods and has to claim compensation from the courier when it goes wrong.

As a buyer you have to make your claim to PayPal known before their deadline otherwise you forfeit your right to their buyers insurance. I'm not sure within how many days of making payment but the other postings above suggest 45 days (best to check for yourself).

Having met Scott myself on a number of occasions I have always found him very helpful and trustworthy. There are few retailers that would allow their staff to post on forums like this, so kudos to Scott and HobbyKing for being part of this forum.

Personally I would give HK as much time to deliver your item as your PayPal deadline will allow. If it's a 45 day deadline, give them 40 days, it will take PayPal another week to make their decision.

I hope your order gets delivered soon so that everyone is happy.

Slightly different to a lost parcel but I had a parcel returned to HK as Post Office were unable to deliver through no fault of theirs. I made contact with HK who indicated once the parcel was returned to them they would contact me, which they did. I had to pay postage again but that understandable however I was impressed that their system had worked.

I started a claim procedure as my parcel seems to have never left HK. Was not satisfied by the progress of my case so started a paypal resolution. I find today that the order has been deleted off my account history without being notified, so I've escalated the paypal to a claim as I don't even have any proof of purchase on my account anymore. I also feel a bit let down by the fact that someone has been messing around with the details of my purchase history.

Was in the process of ordering a 50cc airframe and matching motor from HK for an up coming birthday. After the great service I've had so far, this has left me wondering if I should take my business elsewhere when buying more expensive items.

Not impressed.

Simon

I've never seen in all my life a community like this one for seeing "conspiracy theory" everytime something goes wrong!

There are only two theories of history, the "conspiracy theory" and the "mess-up theory" - believe me, the latter is 1,000 more often responsible for what happens. Let's be serious here - are we really suggesting that an organisation like HK, that depends entirely on internet trading, is going to start engaging in dodgy practices? I think not!

Its really unfortunate for Simon and I feel for him, but as I see it he has his proof of payment in his PayPal acount, he has no delivery, so he is clearly entitled to a refund and I'm sure that will happen. But let's not jump to the "spooks under the bed" explanation. I'd lay a pound to a penny this is just some unfortunate slip up in someone's (probably HK's by the sound of it - but maybe not) admin system.

BEB

Perhaps in order to give a refund they have to "cancel" the order. Depending on their back office systems I can see that the order might then be removed from your purchase history.

Your PayPal transaction record is all that PayPal need access to, along with your complaint.

As BEB says the "mess-up theory" is quite often what has happened.