Curare 25

Martyn K

Hello rActive

Still got some finishing touches to do - the tricky one is the canopy. I have run out of plastic sheet although I am up to attempt no.6 now to get one that I am happy with.. However, this weekend is unlikely as I wont be fitting skis to it for its maiden...

Hi Ian, dont think of it as a crater, think of it as an embryonic pond so you can test out your floats.

Entry noted

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

So..... it's now finished and ready to crash...

Some snaps..

p1270048.jpg

I have had 8 attempts at the canopy so far, it may get replaced again.

p1270049.jpg

And probably the one that matters, the AUW. If you squint very closely, you can see that the AUW came in at a surprisingly hefty 1.52kg... crying 2 I really hoped it would have been under 1.5kG but never mind..

p1190044.jpg

The reason for t this apparent bloat...

I needed just over 100g of weight at the tail to get it to the CG. There is a lot of scope here for any prospective builders to reinforce the back end.

p1190045.jpg

Just waiting for the mainden/crash.

Best wishes

Martyn

Thanks Tony

I have to admit that I am rather pleased with it, got to think about the next 25 sized pocket aerobat. I was originally going to go for a Slik-Fli (I may still do so) but an getting tempted by anther Prettner design - the 'Arrow'. The next one will have an OS26 F/s for power so may be slightly smaller. I haven't made up my mind yet.

However, while I am thinking about it, I'll mend the AstroHog 25..

BTW , yours was the nearest guess for the AUW contest, I owe you 4 cans of beer. Well done. party

Best wishes

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Martyn K on 27/01/2013 19:14:36:

So..... it's now finished and ready to crash...

Some snaps..

p1270048.jpg

I have had 8 attempts at the canopy so far, it may get replaced again.

p1270049.jpg

And probably the one that matters, the AUW. If you squint very closely, you can see that the AUW came in at a surprisingly hefty 1.52kg... crying 2 I really hoped it would have been under 1.5kG but never mind..

p1190044.jpg

The reason for t this apparent bloat...

I needed just over 100g of weight at the tail to get it to the CG. There is a lot of scope here for any prospective builders to reinforce the back end.

p1190045.jpg

Just waiting for the mainden/crash.

Best wishes

Martyn

Looks great Martyn - back from my hols now so if you want the maiden recording.... smile

• 2 weeks later...

I maidened the Curare 25 today. I got two flights under the belt.

Apart from a bit of left trim and a bit of up trim (1 click), it flew on rails.

There was a breezy cross wind at the strip and that long fus certainly wants to make it weather cock, but a hint of left rudder, a long fast rollout and she was away. Climbed out dead straight and round into the circuit.

Initial thoughts are there is too much aileron throw - needs reducing by about 20% and about 10% less elevator throw.

Rolls were very axial with almost no rudder or elevator correction required, loops easy to track and even better a very benign stall - it just goes mushy.

The first flight - ended after about 8 minutes with a lovely touchdown on the strip. Quite entertaining watching it crabbing in with the crosswind and then a nudge to straighten up for a very smooth touchdown.

The second flight was much the same except that I ran out of fuel on the final approach. I was a bit worried as we have a lot of obstacles before the start of the strip. I was also lacking a safety margin of height, but the glide just went on and on and I touched down about 3m short of the strip.

At that point, I decided the maiden godess had been kind and I packed up for the afternoon.

All in all, very satisfying, I'm looking forward to the next one.

No photos sadly, I was at the field by myself today

Best wishes

Martyn.

Thanks Bob,

I have to admit that I was more nervous that usual with this one. When I get the throws sorted, I'll post the settings (and hopefully some photos). I was originally worried that the ailerons would be too sma/l/narrow... They are not.nerd

I am away next weekend, so it will be a couple of weeks before the rerun.

Best wishes

Martyn

• 7 months later...

Hi Gary

Plans are available from here. Please let me know if you do build it.

The CG needs to be just in front of the main wheels if you want it to spin, apart from that its a lovely model to fly, very smooth, more than adequate power with an SC25, and it behaves like a full sized F3A of the era.

The only change I would make in hindsight would be to fully sheet the tailplane - you may as well do something useful with the tailweight that you may need to get the CG right.

Good luck

Martyn

Hi Gary

There are 2 sheets plus a zip file containing DXF files for a laser cutter.

Right click each file and save as locally on your computer.

Open the PDF files using a recent version of Adobe Reader . Best use Adobe X or higher.

It will probably open in reduced full screen.

On the tool bar, there is %age option. Select 100% from the options available and voila - full size.

Now go to file > print

In page size and handling, select poster, select cut marks and print off each plan - It will take 18 pages to print the wing. Use the cut marks for alignment, slice off the excess of 2 adjacent edges and tape the plan up. It's not ideal but a lot cheaper than buying a plan

Good luck

Martyn