Curare 25

Martyn K

I offered to do a reduced size plan for Hanno Prettners 1977 W/C winning Curare F3A design. One other person has said they would like to build one. Anyone else interested in this as a build project?

Basically it is 45"(ish) span with a target AUW of 1.5kg. It will be designed around an SC25 but I guess that a hot 20 or FS 30 would also be OK.

I am doing the drawings using Draftsight as an educational exercise and am sticking very (very) close to the original shape and layout. However, there will be a few structural changes to try and keep the weight down - for example an unsheeted tailplane, partial sheeted wing, fixed U/C and no flaps. Prospective builders will be expected to do a bit of work themselves, the drawing will not have full constructional details although ribs, formers, spars etc will be properly documented

Curare

Before I publish anything though, out of courtesy I think that I really need to let Hanno know what I am doing. If anyone has any contact details for him, please PM me.

If you don't think that is necessary, please let me know.

I hope to get the plans completed before then end of October.

Best wishes

Martyn

I'm interested. I rember Prettner and Wolfgang Matt from when I was 7-8 in the 70's. would love to have a look at the plan with a view to an electric conversion (if that's ok)

my dad was inspired to bring a kit similar to the curare back from a trip to the USA, can't remember seeing it fly though. I do remember the paint job was immaculate red white and deep blue.

No problems.

I think that I have found Hanno (on Facebook) and PM'd him. Hopefully, he will be OK with it.

Regarding electric conversion, the internal fus width is 49mm (and that is stretched by about 5% from the original).

Battery space will be the limiting factor I think.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 01/10/2012 22:36:15

Posted by Martyn K on 01/10/2012 22:35:40:

Regarding electric conversion, the internal fus width is 49mm (and that is stretched by about 5% from the original).

Battery space will be the limiting factor I think.

super slim could think about 2, 2 cell packs connected in parallel (2S2p) so I could feed them into the fuse or go in series (4S1p) for lots of punch

Have to have a look when we know the AUW and wing loading

Thanks Ian, I am trying to get this well under way before the mass build starts, plus I am hoping to get the Webbit finished in the next couple of weeks then repair the AstroHog 25 - looking in a very sorry state - the only salvagable thing is the fuselage    

Just to add to the work load (not really work, I enjoy this stuff), but the shed has sprung a couple of leaks..crook

Oh - and try and get some flying in as well..

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 02/10/2012 23:06:07

You do realise that this means I need to source a new piston and liner for my clapped out OS 25 FSR?

ps - MK did some 20 size aerobats as kits, I think they included the Curare, and I remember seeing a PDF plan for a 10 sze one on RCG but that used a foam wing.

Hmmm - mini retracts?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 03/10/2012 10:45:33

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 03/10/2012 10:32:48:

You do realise that this means I need to source a new piston and liner for my clapped out OS 25 FSR?

ps - MK did some 20 size aerobats as kits, I think they included the Curare, and I remember seeing a PDF plan for a 10 sze one on RCG but that used a foam wing.

Hmmm - mini retracts?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 03/10/2012 10:45:33

Hi Bob

I am aware of a 40 sized Curare, but that is the only one that I know of (apart from the original).

Mini restracts are an option - I discounted them because I tend to land a bit on the heavy side and on a grass strip. I also try to keep cost, weight and complexity down. However, if you can identify some and get me some measurements or better a 3 view, I'll look at incorporating them.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 03/10/2012 21:24:50

Posted by TinPot Pilot on 03/10/2012 00:25:11:

Good luck Martin

I'll be watching but not sure if I have enough skill to build it!

Have a go at it, there will be enough people here who will give you a hand if you get stuck. I am hoping that the material costs will be less than £30 (plus hardware).

Martyn

to my mind the Curare just HAS to have a trike undercarriage, not like some pics i have seen of some reincarnations on the web. hobbyking does some small light electric retracts but not sure there is enough space in the nose for a tank and retract unit. I have a new asp 25 looking for a home, and just engines have a nice 20 size tuned pipe and manifold for £45......sure sounds like (another) winter project for me. Martyn if you can pm me a full size drawing of the nose section up to say half way down the wing chord, showing the intended noseleg position i will measure to see if the retract unit and steering servo can fit as i have a set bought for another project. by the way, there was in fact a Curare 20 kitted by mk many many moons ago. anyone with an unbuilt kit can become wealthy by selling it. 10 mins on google will reveal some info.

Thanks for stepping in with the measurements Chris, the HK units are what I was thinking of. It's a bit bigger, but I've been messing with a part completed unidentified 80's airframe that looks 40 size, and I think it would be easier to fit a retract unit than a steerable nosewheel at that scale as the radial mount gets in the way.

Remember the wheel doesn't need to disappear completely, just so long as the retract unit can be flush with the underside then half the wheel sticking out won't be noticable. Leg length may be more of a sticking point in order to get sufficient height yet short enough to fit in front of the wing when retracted.

Martyn, you provide a plan, wee'll (wheel?) come up with work-arounds!