Curare 25

Martyn K

Do the ply doublers go to the nose ring Martyn? If not, then butt-joining the firewall to the fuselage sides (chamfering the sides of the firewall to ensure maximum contact area) using a good epoxy, and either adding triangular strip, or surgical gauze / fibreglass bandage and epoxy should be plenty I would think. If the ply doubler goes right up to the nose ring, the triangular stock or fibreglass / epoxy could be either side of the firewall. There are other things I would lose sleep over, but not this

Hi Chris

The ply doublers go just past the firewall - could be extended by a few more mm but not much further as the 40mm or so around the engine gets very curvy. I am planning to put triangle stock either side of the engine mount at the front plus a big piece under the tank floor to firewall joint plus another log between the top of the Firewall and under the cockpit floor. I think that if I split the cockpit floor about 25mm back from the Firewall that will give enough strength and an access hatch to slide the tank out.

The SLEC tank is nice for this as the top of the tank is raked back at the front so I can get a decent sized piece of wood in there

My other headache is finding space for a steerable (fixed) noseleg and getting the steering linkage to it.

Aprt from that, it is all very straightforward.

Martyn

re steerable nosewheel:

Some time back I bought a Marabu off e-bay, and when I collected it I somehow ended up with a bag of bits for 40 size models. At a guess these were dated from some time in the 80s, as the engine mounts are too tight for a modern BB 40 crankcase.

One of these consisted of a near complete fuselage, tail and veneered wing halves for a non-descript low wing model. I got bored last week and started putting it together. I really can't see how to get a steerable nosewheel on this size of model without the linkage hanging out of the bottom. The radial mount gets in the way.

So I didn't, I'm just leaving it fixed. I had a Pilot Commanche with fixed steering, it would actually steer by giving full up and some power to unload the nosewheel, so don't sweat it.

Ps - I'm a dinosaur - strictly MVS mainframe - COBOL, IMS, DB2 - all the stuff they told us was dead or dying 20 years ago. Unfortunately it means all the important stuff runs overnight.

Hi Bob

Unfortunately, the version of Profili that I use doesn't support export to DXF. The pro version does but that means parting with beer tokens to pay for an upgrade and at the moment I am a bit skint.. sad

Anyone else reading this has the pro version of profili XT that can do the coversion for me...?

Otherwise, I'll see if there are other ways of getting the files converted.

Martyn

Thanks Robin

Do you have any tips for laying out the ribs for laser cutting.Belair seem to suggest that it is up to the designer to define the layout - this is a new area for me..

Are their resrictions on width or length that I need to be aware of?

Regards

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

I'm afraid I've only printed airfoils out onto paper, so I have not laser/cnc experience. I assume you would have to find out the minimum gap so the tool doesn't crash into the next part, aside from that I guess as close as possible to avoid wastage, and maybe little tabs to keep it all together.

Not particularly helpful now I've read it back, sorry!

Hi Robin

Thanks for the info.I'll drop Belair a note asking how wide the wood is etc.I preume it will be 100 or 150mm wide. Also need to orientate the wing ribs and formers so that the grain is running in the right direction. When I understand what I need to do, I'll email you the profili file.

Best wishes

Martyn

Here is the plan.

Hopefully, it will print correctly on 1 sheet of A0, but before you get too enthusiastic, print off a section of tailplane with all the dimensions labelled to manually check X and Y dimensions.

Curare 25 Plan

Comments/critisisms welcomed.

I have checked the rib sheets (above) and they all appear to be the correct size

Good luck. If you do choose to build it, please run a blog here so I can see how you get on. Happy to answer any questions if things arn't totally clear. Probably lots of those...

PS - haven't heard from Hanno yet so not sure if I got the right one.

Martyn

Plan has now been resized - the problem was that it was trying to fit onto A0 which wasn't big enough.. embarrassed

Redrawn onto 2A0 sized paper which is now too big. Ideally, 50"x40" will suffice. I will do a version at this size which may be OK for tile printing if required.

If you have already downloaded, please download again using the same link as above.

Regards

Martyn

Apologies

Been a bit of a delay since the last update. Very busy at work...

I have redone the plan again - all the bits now seem to fit on the paper - I hadn't noticed that I had lost a wing tip and root after inadvertently moving the 0,0 reference. Sorry about that.

The revised plan is here. It can be printed from the latest version of Adobe reader by selecting the poster option. You will need about 30 sheets of A4 paper although at least 10 will be blank and can be reused. My first attempt took me about 2 hours to assemble and then I spotted the missing bits off the end..sarcastic 2

I have also upgraded my version of Profili to the Pro version this week and have now exported the ribs to DXF and I am preparing them for laser cutting. Not quite as straightforward as I imagined as the ribs are generated using a continuous curve rather than segments. This means that it is difficult to trim the leading, trailing edge and spars whilst leaving the build tabs intact.

I am also a bit nervous about committing this to a cutter without building a protype first, I am convinced there will be at least one error and my professional credibility as an amateur CAD draughtsman is at stake. nerd.

Your comments on how to proceed would be gratefully received. I suppoe it all depends on how much of a rush you are in.

Best wishes

Martyn

Hi Bob

Whatr about the plywood parts? The cutter has suggested using 1/16" ply instead of lightply for the root ribs (around the u/c). I was also also going to get the 4 formers cut (3mm ply). Cutter has suggested using 2 lams of 3mm ply to make the Firewall.

The other parts I am laying out are the wing dihederal braces (1/16" ply) tail dihederal braces (1/16" and 1/32" ply" and possibly the fuselage doublers (1/32" ply).

I have not allowed (at the moment) for the balsa/spruce doublers in the wing and tail roots to ensure that the ply doublers have got something straight to be glued against. The build plan I was going to follow to do this was build the LE and TE with the tapered doublers (and braces) in place, then trim the ribs to fit while located against the lower spar, then add the upper spar, the remaining doublers and the main brace in place when the dihederal has been set. All will be manually inserted and cut at the point of fitting.

It is not an easy build, with the added complexity of keeping the eight down.

On a positive note, I have got most of the tail ribs ready for cutting. It's taking a while though, I have never done any of this minikitting before, good experience though.

Martyn

I've never been a fan of light ply other than for it's ease of cutting for servo mounts and the like. My Skybolt has a bulhead of 2 laminations of 3mm birch ply holding back a 120 four stroke so that idea will work fine for a .25. I'd even be happy using a single 3mm ply as long as it's good quality with suitable triangular fillets to brace it to the sides.

Spruce doublers - I assume these are to accomodate the sweepback on LE and spar? One alternative I've seen is to use aluminium dihedral braces bent to follow the sweepback.

As for rib alignment (I think that's what 'of keeping the eight down' refers to) I used a jig to build the Altair. All ribs had a pair of 6mm holes on the horizontal centreline and were threaded onto two 6mm carbon rods. The rods were supported at the ends in suitable blocks so the whole wing was built suspended over the plan. Once the spar webs and top sheet were in place the wing was inverted and clamped back in the supporing blocks while the underside was completed, then the rods pulled back out ready to build the other half wing/tail.

start of the wing

(this was before clamping up the carbon rods)

This might be a bit over the top for the size of model we're talking about here though, so I'd just rely on the rib tabs.