Curare 25

Martyn K

Advert

My overtime went on Christmas pressies...

I have an SC25 set aside... I am now waiting for the master set of wing ribs to come back so that I can start on the wing..

rActive - the short kit at the moment is limited to the wing and tail ribs only.. The cutter can't manage 6mm ply (3mm ply is his max limit) and the other 3 formers and the boxed in tank woodwork are all lite ply which is easy to cut..

I am not convinced (although I am happy to have a debate) that there is a lot of benefit getting the 4 formers laser cut (the firewall would have to be laminated from 2 x 3mm birch ply)..

Regards

Martyn

I have made a bit more progress over the past few evenings..

The addition of the top deck and trial fit of the fin... (the missing photo from above)

pb200015.jpg

The deck was roughly planed and sanded to shape then the fin was glued in place. 1/8" balsa was inlaid into the gap around the tailplane LE - it was somewhat easier than I thought it was going to be.

pb200016.jpg

The fin is glued in place - checking it is vertical, the clamps hold it all together nice and firmly. Finish the sanding after the fin is in place because the clamps will leave marks on the soft wood.

Back on the bench, finishing off sanding the upper decking to a nice silky soft feel

pb220017.jpg

The pattern on the cockpit floor was caused because it was a fraction high after I finished fitting the tank and I had to sand the thickness of one ply veneer to get it right... nerd

This shows the direction of the grain in the fin. 2 pieces of wood are used - it should be light and warp free.

pb220018.jpg

This fin is much simpler than the original which had a built up pyramidial shaped fin - quite thick at the base.

More to come (I am still sanding the fus...)

--

Martyn

A quick update. I have been in discussion with the cutter and my set of wing ribs will hopefully be with me on Monday nerd

If all OK, I'll post the details here so you can get your orders in..

Regarding the build, I am just planning the radio installation. Despite the fuselage being 40" long, its a tight fit - even with MG mini servos.

Regards

Martyn

As indicated, a bit of progress in the past week. Things have slowed down slightly as I have started to build an AcroWot in parallel with this and next week I'll possibly start the Tucano...

pb290009.jpg

I am fitting two servos at the front end, one for the throttle and one for the steerable nose wheel.The servos are mounted at the front (to the left of the picture) to the base of the fuel tank floor, reinforced with a strip of 1/8" ply so that the screws have got something to bite into. The front bearer is a strip of 1/4" square spruce. Quite ticky to get it in place, you need to assemble the bearer and servos before you glue the bearer into place. Just don't ask me to remove it in a hurry..

pb290010.jpg

The slightly out of focus main servo tray is made from 3mm liteply with 1/8" birch ply 'beams' running across the fuselage for servo screws to locate into. This will hold 2 servos,I have made the slots extra wide to allow me a bit of leeway when I get down to the installation, the servos will actually be located in tandem. The tray is glued to 1/4" square spruce rails which are then glued as an assembly to the 1/32" ply sides.

Which brings me back to the engine mounting..

pb290011.jpg

The long engine mount has been tapered. I haven't cut it short as I intend to us the mount bearers to locate the cowling.

pb290012.jpg

A first fit of the engine. I have had to trim about 1/16" off the corner of the fuselage to get the silencer to fit. It will be unnoticable when completed.

pb290013.jpg

And another shot

pb290014.jpg

Finally, an old spinner (1 3/4" and prop fitted. These will be used while I build up the wood around the cowl area and sand it all down to fit..

Which is where I am tonight. It's very cold out there but still got a good hour and a half work done.

More to come...

Martyn

<snip from above post 29/11/2012 22:24:46>

The front bearer is a strip of 1/4" square spruce. Quite ticky to get it in place, you need to assemble the bearer and servos before you glue the bearer into place. Just don't ask me to remove it in a hurry..

That should have read "The rear bearer is a strip of 1/4" square spruce."

Sorry for any confusion..

Martyn

I know in our shed it was freezing (literally!) so I could not get much done this week- crying

Nice job on the Curare, it is very tight! Even tighter than my Funfly which has a very slim fuselage and mid wing meaning a tight fit, but not as tight as that! My Domino will be a breeze though, plenty of space! As long as it is neat (which it looks) it will be fine! Keep up the good work (and I'll try and brave the elements!)

I must admit I do like that Astro Hog 25, is that still going well?

CS

Hi CS

The AstroHog 25 went through a rather drastic modification when I flew it through a tree absolutely flat out. I 'lost' about 300mm of each wing tip. Those bits were quite literally actually lost although I did find the curved tip sections. The tailplane was smashed as well as the upper decking on the fus. I was absolutely gutted, it was a fantastic flyer - far better than the full size.

Personally, I blame the woman driver...

It is repairable, but needs a new wing. While I have been waiting for glue to dry this last week I have been cutting out wing ribs.... it will fly again. Also bought a s/h OS25LA to fit in it (lighter than the SC25 so I can take some weight out of the tail). The SC is going into the Curare.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 01/12/2012 10:33:29

I have a oil storage heater which is running full time (on a low setting). This prevents the temp dropping below freezing, but doesn't really heat the shed. I also have a ceramic heater (3 x 400W) on the bench which I turn on about 30 minutes before I venture in there to do any work. I wear normal clothes plus a thermal warehouse jacket that sems to keep me warm enough.

Planet Rock on the radio and I am generally a happy contented chappy

--

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 01/12/2012 11:08:21

Hi Chris

I haven't seen that one before and TBH I think that it has lost a little of the Curare elegance at the front end. I can safely say that because I have been hacking balsa off the front end of mine to blend a squarish fuselage down to a 1/75" diameter circle to match the spinner. It is starting to look quite nice now.

The next problem will be the canopy, I want to replicate the 'bubble' canopy of the original which I think will mean moulding my own...

Thanks

Martyn

Thanks Bob, I'll see what they have got, if nothing suitable, I'll have a crack at making a plug and moulding my own.

The good news is that the Wing and Tail ribs came back from Green Air Designs today.

pc030016.jpg

The cut is so clean - far better than I could have managed with a modelling knife. I settled for 3/32" balsa sheet, they look superb, I'll be starting on the wing shortly. If you want a set, contact Green Air Designs JET-SALES [[email protected]], quoting my name (Martyn Kinder and the layout - Curare25). I paid £12.50 for the master set but apparently subsequent sets will be cheaper.

--

Anyway - back to the fuselage. The side and upper sheet arond the engine is a doddle compared with the lower block. The problem is the steering linkage and the throttle linkage.

pc020015.jpg

This rather scruffy looking shot shows both linkages in situ. Especially scruffy as I had to get to the nyloc nuts holding the engine in place.

I have used 18swg wire to get from the servo to the nosewheel and carb with suitable bends to get them round the various objects.

One thing I forgot to mention above was don't forget to fuel proof the pieces before you glue them in..

Then clean up the scruffy bit with new wood..

and start carving the lower piece.

pc030018.jpg

When you get it just about right, you will need to carve out the inside edge to allow for the linkage to move freely..

pc030019.jpg

Note the glue already in place, I thought I had better capture this shot before it got hidden for ever..

pc030020.jpg

Finally, everything in place and clamped up while the glue dries. There is also a 1/16" ply nose ring at the front - the bands hold it in place.

The last small piece to be fitted will go around the front of the carb.

Hopefully get that bit finished next time I am in the shed and then I can get on with the wing.

More to come

Martyn

The front end of the fuselage is now completed and I have to admit I am quite pleased with it. So pleased in fact that I forgot to take a photo!

However, I have made a start on the wing. Despite having building tabs cut, I chose to use them rather unconventionally, I effectively built the panels upside down. I prefer to build from a spar and work outwards, Spar, TE then LE. The tabs were used to check alignment with a pair of straight edges. In the photo below, the upper spar is just pushed into place to hold the ribs in alignment while the glue dries.

Spars are 1/4" square medium hard balsa, the LE and TE are tapered and cut from 1/4" sheet medium balsa.

pc080022.jpg

Two panels made - for once it doesn't matter if you build 2 left panels, (I didn't though) as the wing section is symmetrical. Note - I also dont mind hacking my own printed plans apart..

The accuracy of the laser cutting was confirmed as I didn't have to trim any of the ribs for length. What I did discover is that the spars were incorrectly marked on the plan. Now corrected along with other additional detail in version 6 of the drawings.

pc090026.jpg

Joined up wings - part 1. One panel is pinned flat and the other panel secured and the LE, TE and spar sanded down to a good fit while ensuring that the the sweep, alignment and relative incidence remain consistent. It took me a few attempts to get it right - the result was that the wing is now about 6mm shorter than intended. Not to worry, it wont make any discernable difference to a numpty pilot like me.

pc090027.jpg

The two panels joined with one tip propped up be 50mm. Due to the wing taper and the thinner section at the tip, the dihedral seems a lot less than measured. I used PVA and allowed the glue to dry for 24 hours.

pc100028.jpg

The first dihedral brace (TE) is added. This is a lot easier than it looks. For the TE, I use a a strip of 1/2" medium soft balsa(about 160mm long) and simply planed and sanded a taper each way out from the centre. This is then sectioned so that each piece sits between the ribs. Before the glue dries, cut though the ribs with a razor saw, flush with the block infil and then widen as required using a scalpel. Then insert the brace. I used 1/32" ply for the TE (and will use the same for the LE brace) - I think it will be adequate. The main structural spar brace will be a full depth 1/16" ply.

pc100029.jpg

I tend to custom make my braces as I need them. For example, the wing has 2" dihedral at 24", This is a slope of 1:6 - therefore for my TE brace, I measured out 72mm and inwards 12mm to get the same angle. I then simply cut the width to the width of the TE section (10mm).

I find using this method being much easier than trying to trace from a plan.

More to come, but slowly this week due to other commitments. LE brace tomorrow, then lift the wing, fit the lower spar then add the full depth main spar and u/c blocks.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 10/12/2012 21:56:07