Airsail Chipmunk

ZK BAP

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

been pretty busy at work so not much done on beaver ( wing now complete, undercarrige sets off the bull dog look lol. all plastic parts are roughly cut to shape and tested for fit. im thinking of an os 35 2s to power the beast. any ideas on a nice scale/power ratio prop? 10x6 seems common. I dont want to go super fast. cheers. ZK BAP

• 1 month later...

Cheers. She balanced first time with all gear up front and the bigger 35 rather than 30 helped in the balancing act. From what i have read about the Beaver is the tail weight always too heavy, so im stoked nothing was needed in ballast. I diviated form the plan for things like steerable tail wheel etc, but not flaps....(kicking myself now)...I love Airsail kits, lol Im a Kiwi...but true builders kits using good old fashion wood...Cant wait to build the Auster

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well today, success......3 solo, 5 flights, 2 aircraft, no damage, chipp and trainer. Im wrapped........chipp just floated and flew better than a trainer.

After 20yrs it was my first build. Even tho not perfect, flys a treat. the thing just wont land and says it a plane not a car lol, flaps or no flaps, glides forever. Im amazed............i know things are wrong.......but it works ;o)

Airsail seem to be showing one of everything in stock but I don't think anyone over here is importing their kits even if they are available in NZ (do you know what the situation is down there BAP?)

I turned a box of their wood into a Chipmunk something over 10 years ago and it's still a firm favourite - many people seem to feel it's underpowered with an OS52 FS but it takes off in virtually its own length at full throttle even though it's no lightweight at around 8 1/2 pounds- which is why I don't even get to half throttle on the take off run.

I must say that I've always found the approach control to be excellent with full (30 degrees as per full size) flap, allowing a nice scale "sit" on the approach and very moderate touch down speed. I've never had any problems with it floating on - perhaps you're coming in a bit on the fast side BAP - or it's something to do with gravity working upside down in your part of the world? wink

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/10/2013 09:00:12

Brian has done a few limited runs on certain aircraft kits. Currently there are a few Beaver, Chipmunk kits and the large Auster i think there is 1 or 2. I just got my hands on one of the last smaller Austers. He only did a small run of those as he was persuaded by a LMS. www.rcnz.co.nz shows them available too. Let me know which kit you are after and ill find the rouge storing it lol. i have all but the Tomahawk now. Neally a complete collection of every airsail rc.

Yeh i think it was a bit fast as i was scared of tip stalling in the crosswind like my Beaver did. My post titlted 'crosswind + tipstall + pilot error = ' shows the results lol. I put an ASP61fs in my chippy, and plenty of power. Hopefully mine will serve me well.

Although I can't give you any guarantees, if yours is built the same as mine with the washout specified then tip stalling shouldn't be a problem - even less so when using the flaps but I'm sure you'll explore its handling with plenty of air underneath you...

The model will spin(well) if entered deliberately with a classic stall/full rudder application and just like the real thing it will accelerate after a few turns but I've certainly never had an inadvertent wing drop and it will recover quickly

I'm sure you'll come to trust the model after a few flights!.

I look forward to flying her again. Its good to get positive feed back about the design. I think chippy will become a regular sunday flyer. I am impressed on its behavior. Will keep you posted on the next fly this sunday weather permitting.

Cheers

ZK BAP

• 9 months later...

Sad to report, due to a run away plane in the pit area at our club, Chippie will not be air worthy for quite some time. A fellow member was taxing and suddenly lost control and his plane went full power across the pits and straight into my Chippie, which was just sitting there gracefully while I was having a coffee. crying

0810141352-01.jpg

0810141713-04.jpg

0810141712-01.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...