Futaba T14SG chat

Simon Chambers

Posted by Robert Armstrong 2 on 26/04/2019 20:19:24:

Help

I have a 14SG on version 6.0 software. The Ripmax site shows version 8.0 now out. Can I update direct to v8.0 or do I have to go through v 7.0 first? Would like to avoid two steps if possible.

You can go straight to Version 8.0 but note the following.

Some owners of older non-Futaba compatible receivers (e.g FrSky) reported problems when they upgraded to Versions 7 and 8. I don't use these so never paid much attention to the discussion. If you have any older non-Futaba receivers I suggest you check on-line or seek advice from Ripmax before running the upgrade.

Posted by SR 71 on 27/04/2019 09:02:04:

I have the 14 sg bought it shortly after it came out

It has never been updated as im completely computer stupid

Am I missing anything of importance by not upgrading it

Thanks Tony

Start by checking your current software version. You will find it under System Menu - Info. Then go to the Ripmax web-site. Select Futaba Radio software upgrades under Important Links on the left and then select T14SG from the list of available transmitters. You will then be able to download the manual for each upgrade. The first part of each of these explains how to do the upgrade but this is then followed by a list of the improvements made. (Don't be put off by the word manual. In most cases it is only two or three pages and you can ignore the first part).

There have been some very significant improvements made over time but only you can judge whether they are of any use to you. That said, if your transmitter has an SD card and you have access to a computer with a card reader, the upgrade process is quick and easy. There is little to lose by upgrading subject to the proviso in my post above.

Posted by Braddock, VC on 27/04/2019 10:20:36:

I have a problem with the engine cut and idle down facility.

I suspect it's my own fault but it only seems to happen when the throttle servo is reversed.

I've checked on my kindle copy of malcolm's book but it doesn't switch my light on (or cause my penny to drop) any pointers gratefully received.

Reversing the throttle channel should not make any difference. The only thing I can think of is that you might have adjusted the Limit Points on the throttle channel at some time and they are blocking movement in one direction.

Go to the End Point menu. The Inner values (100 by default) determine the throttle servo travel so you have probably adjusted these to give the correct tick-over and full throttle positions. The outer values should be left at their default 135 to allow the servo to move beyond its normal travel and thus permit idle down and throttle cut. You might even have to increase them to permit sufficient movement. Have a look at the Throttle Cut section of my book which explains this.

In the Throttle Cut menu the default position value is 17%. Change this to a smaller value such as 5% to cut the engine.

In the Idle Down menu the default Offset is +0%. Change this to a higher value such as +50% to lower the idle speed.

If you are still having problems can you please explain in a bit more detail exactly what is happening.

Posted by Robert Armstrong 2 on 26/04/2019 20:19:24:

Help

I have a 14SG on version 6.0 software. The Ripmax site shows version 8.0 now out. Can I update direct to v8.0 or do I have to go through v 7.0 first? Would like to avoid two steps if possible.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

Thanks Malcolm. Don't use non-Futaba receivers. Used to on a previous (T8) system but had a couple of odd crashes where the model seemed to stop responding, though post crash tests seemed to show the radio system working normally. Decided the relatively small cost saving was not worth the cost of peace of mind. Even more true now FHSS rxs are available.

• 4 months later...

Yes, there is an anomaly in the software. In order to be able to use switchable throttle curves it is necessary to have VPP assigned somewhere in the Function Menu. You do not need to use VPP and you can assign it to any channel, even one for which there is no receiver socket.

Check your different models and I think you will find that the ones where the curve switches appear also have VPP assigned somewhere.

• 4 months later...

Hi Malcolm hope you can help me again, I’ve been have a problem with the 2 models I fly in the winter.

they fly okay for a couple of mins then go to tick over, I’ve been caching thong like breathes changing servos etc.

Today it happened and I found the throttle servo not working investigated and found it was the failsafe if I disabled the failsafe the servo worked fine. Enabled the failsafe and it was stuck again.

so I guess it’s either the Receiver or the transmitter I have also hadl their problem with another model but never narrowed it down the the electronics

problem I have is I can’t repeat it at home, and even at the field it’s intermittent.

have you any ideas?

edited to add the rest of the control surfaces work fine no glitches able to land on tick over

mick

Edited By Michael Black on 22/01/2020 13:38:44

Thanks for the reply frank I’m fairly certain I put the throttle down and back up as the manual says it should reset for a while and it did not. I’m running a 2s lipo and Bec might try a Nimh and see what happens. Is there a way of setting the voltage or is it preset?

mick

Edited By Michael Black on 22/01/2020 13:58:08

Michael, as you describe the problem it is for sure a Battery Fail Safe activation (no throttle control but normal on the other channels).

Default B.F/S voltage in Futaba receivers is 3,8V and in 14SG you ONLY may change that on FASSTest receivers.

For changing the B.F/S voltage in FASSTest receivers you have to go to "SYSTEM" menu and just to the right of the "LINK" option you will find the B.F/S value. If you change the default 3,8V value, you will have to link again the receiver to refresh this on the receiver memory.

Futaba suggests the following safety voltage values:
• 4 cells NiCd or NiMH (Normal: 4.8v) = 3.8 v
• 2 cells LiFe (Normal: 6.6 v) = 6.0 - 6.2 v
• 2 cells LiPo (Normal: 7.4 v) = 7.2 - 7.4 v

Anyway with a BEC there is no logic on programming a B.F/S as the BEC shoud safely power the receiver and servos even after cutting the motor if the power battery goes too low. If you are getting B.F/S from a BEC unit, sure it is short for the power and number of servos you are using in your model. Be careful!

Edited By Jesus Cardin on 22/01/2020 16:33:58

Michael, the 617 is a FASST 7channel receiver and with this modulation B.F/S is only available for channel 3 (as well as for nornal F/S, while other channels keep on last position received, this is in "Hold" mode).

For FASST receivers you are not able of programming the B.F/S voltage, so the default 3,8V applies.

Sure going the Ni-MH route solves the problem, but go for no less than 1.200-1.500mAh for 4-5 normal servos and no less than 2.000 if your models mount more than 5 units.

• 4 months later...

I hope Malcolm is still checking this thread out, I have lost two planes down to throttle cut.

I fly ic and when throttle cut is switched in I found out that the throttle stick is disabled, I use the cut in conjunction with idle down so when both are applied the engine stops. One switch for idle down and another for cut.

Is it possible to set the throttle cut so that the throttle control isn't disabled? I've not had this problem before on ff8, 9 and 10.

Incidentally the switch was applied accidentally in both instances.

Also I can't get throttle cut to work when the throttle control is reversed, is there a fix for this?

I am somewhat mystified here. I don’t have my 14SG handy to check but I am pretty sure that you cannot use Idle Down in conjunction with Throttle Cut. When you switch on the Throttle Cut it disables the effect of Idle Down.

To check this, go to the Idle Down menu. Make sure that Throttle Cut is off. Operate the Idle Down switch and you should see the display toggle between On and Off. Remain in this menu but now switch on the Throttle Cut. Operate the Idle Down switch again and you will see that it has been disabled. Idle Down remains off.

Throttle Cut disables the throttle stick but I don’t understand why this is a problem. Throttle Cut is designed to kill the engine. Once the engine is dead the throttle stick has no effect anyway.

Your problem appears to stem from accidentally operating the Throttle Cut switch while flying. To prevent the risk of this I always use the right Dial RD as my Throttle Cut switch and set it so that I have to turn it to its full extent before the engine dies. As I never use the Left Dial for any purpose there is virtually no risk of turning RD accidentally while flying.

Reversing the throttle channel has no effect on Throttle Cut. Have a look at my post to you above dated 27/04/2019 in which I explained why you might be having problems.