HELP PLEASE!!!

Advert

Posted by kc on 14/11/2012 18:02:11:

Presumably if you got the servos plugged in wrong way round then the ESC is also plugged in wrong way round too......thats the problem perhaps?

Yes, I'd thought of that. Thanks.

As the plane came with Futaba type plugs, I'm going to try a Futaba receiver (and Tx!), which should resolve at least the plug orientation problem. Then, as a function of the result of that test, I'll work through all the other suggestions and decide which ones are applicable in the light of the results I'm getting...

I should add that, 48 hours ago when I started this thread, I had a bit of free time... Unfortunately, some urgent work cropped up, and I won't be able to investigate the plane problems until tomorrow evening. However, all you helpful people should please rest assured that I haven't just "gone away". I'm obviously really keen to sort the problem out and fly the plane... but it'll have to wait until tomorrow evening!

Reading through the thread, we haven't yet confirmed that the servos are plugged in correctly. On the AR500 Rx, if you look closely at the left-hand end of the plug array, you'll see the word Batt/bind. Below that, in very tiny writing, is a wave symbol (signal), a '+' and a '-'. That is the orientation for the plugs.

Depending on the servos, the colour coding is likely to be as follows:

Futaba type plugs; Signal is white, pos is red and neg black.

JR type plugs: Signal is orange, pos is red and neg is brown.

Therefore, your black or brown wires should be fitted towards the outer edge of the Rx casethumbs up

Pete

Hi Brian

Before you go to all of the trouble of changing the receiver for a Futaba one, just try reversing the servo plugs so that the black wires are alongside the edge of the receiver as Pete B, another French resident, has suggested. The ESC will beep if it is not getting a signal from the receiver. It will not get a signal from the receiver if the servo and ESC plugs are the wrong way round.

Still won't work? The throttle stick and trim on the transmitter were fully down weren't they when you switched on? If not switch off the transmitter, (and the receiver to be on the safe side,) move the throttle stick and trim to fully shut, then switch on again.

If the system still doesn't work, try rebinding the transmitter to the receiver.

Happy Landings

David

Thanks David and Pete,

Yes, I'll try all that tomorrow!

David, just one remark. The plane is "radio ready". I connected up a new Spektrum system, but I removed it when things obviously weren't right. So there is no "going to a lot of trouble" to install Futaba or anything else. There is no receiver installed at the moment.

Looking through all this thread, I'm really pleased with the result. I'm sure that I'll get the plane flying quickly.

For me, flying here on my own, I think that electric flight, 2.4 GHz, binding, ESC sorting and pre-installed servos that don't match my chosen RC system were rather too many new tricks to learn all at once.

I/We will get it right for the week-end!

Brian

Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for your help.

I've just proceeded as you all advised, and the problem is almost solved.

First of all, all the plugs in the receiver were "wrong way round". I removed them.

Then I connected a separate battery pack (no ESC), which revealed that the RC system wasn't bound (probably because of the plugging error).

I then reconnected the LiPo/ESC combination properly (Thanks Pete for definite wire colour data) and bound the RC system. This worked OK. The system is now bound.

Then I did a "final check", with just the throttle and rudder servos connected, to make sure the system was actually working...

SURPRISE! Initially nothing worked (Oh dear!). Then, I just twiddled the sticks a bit, and discovered that the elevator plug position on the Rx is operating the throttle (just as if it were mode 1, which it ain't...). At this point, my wife would like to express her most sincere gratitude to the gentlemen who told me to remove the propeller!

So that's the present state of play. Later today, I'm going to mess around with the plug positions and see if I can sort the problem out, but that won't get the throttle onto the LH stick with the ratchet

I'd like your ideas again (please). At the moment, I have my Spektrum mode 2 Tx, with two servos (throttle and rudder) plugged into the Rx. The rudder is operating properly (L/R movement on the LH stick), but the throttle is being operated by the elevator function (up/down movement on the RH stick).

Finally, Thanks again, your help so far has been Great and has worked 100%!

Brian

Don't mention it, Brian - if it hadn't been for the help I received from the lads in this forum, I'd still be struggling four years on! smile

With the ratchet on the L/H stick, it sounds like a Mode 2, so it should all work correctly as per the Rx sequence. Is it new or S/H? If S/H, there's just a chance it has been changed - to a degree! If it is new and the box is marked Mode 2, I'd be inclined to contact the shop if, having checked out the following, the functions of each channel are not correct.

Anyway, just to confirm which plugs should go in which set of pins.

Reading from left on the AR500:

Barr/bind - not needed now you have bound Rx.

Thr - ESC plug. This will provide power as well as throttle control.

Ail - connect to right wing aileron.

Ele - connect to elevator.

Rud - connect to rudder.

Gear - not used.

Ail - connect to left wing aileron.

(The two aileron outputs are a built-in 'Y' lead and will work fine with the Phoenix)

Try that out and let us know how it goes....thumbs up

Pete

Good evening,

Success! Thanks a lot!

But I still have another couple of questions (please):

My DX5e / AR500 set (Mode 2) was purchased new from an excellent UK model store.

However, it was being sold "without box" which, I suppose, means that it was probably intended for an RTF, but never got installed.

Thanks to your combined efforts, everything now works perfectly, EXCEPT that I've had to reverse the elevator and throttle plugs in the Rx. The throttle is plugged into the slot marked "elev", and the elevator is plugged into the slot marked "thro". Everything then works absolutely perfectly so, obviously, I've left it like that and I shall fly like that...

Has anyone ever seen this kind of nonsense before?

Now, one final question (then you can all drift off to the pub!). My only previous electric plane is my RTF Radian. On the Radian, the folding prop is blocked in its forward travel, i.e. it won't fold forward, which seems logical to me.

However, the prop on the Phase 3 Phoenix II pivots freely on its hinge, from fully folded to both blades pointing fully forward, which surprises me...

Is it normal that the prop blades should also fold forwards?

Thanks again for all this. The next hour or two of good weather and I'll be flying.

Brian

Can't explain the ele/throt issue, but don't worry about the prop folding forwards - most do and they don't do it in flight, which is more important.......smile

Perfectly normalthumbs up

Good luck with the maiden - don't forget height is your friend - let us know how it goessmile p

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

This is just to close this thread, with a big Thank You to all the gentlemen who helped me.

The purpose of this model was to learn to fly with ailerons, on my own.

I now have a couple of successful aileron flights completed with no great drama and I'm very pleased. The flights were a couple of weeks ago, but then the poor weather took over.

Anyway, its now just a case of practice and flying hours, with the hope of being reasonably competent by the time the better weather comes... I have other planes lined up to practice on as well, so I'm optimistic. The forecast is better for tomorrow, so I'm hoping for a bit more progress.

Thank you all,

Brian