Serious uncool FPV video in the heart of London

Simon Chambers

Advert

Posted by Simon Chambers on 15/11/2012 21:14:11:

As we all know, not only does this break many laws - I wouldn't be surprised when the CAA/Police see this, those guys will have a European Arrest Warrant to greet them when they next arrive in the EU (they're Swiss IIRC).

Well theyre certainly not British!

Everybody knows you take tea at 4pm in the best regulated households!

Only a matter of time before they visited London. The police were having a good look at the multicopter at the end of the video - probably asking where they can buy one!

However, here's an example of what CAN happen in the city.........

That looks like a formerly quite valuable DSLR underneath, too...........smile o
Pete

Hi Simon, they have done the same same thing in New York last year I think, buzzing the Statue of Liberty for one thing. As you say most un cool thing to do after 9/11. I think the pilot is a Swiss citizen,( not 100% sure) and is very well known in the FPV fraternity, Some think he is a genius, others are really worried that this type of flying may be damaging to our hobby. Cheers.

Theres one word for these guys from a fellow fpv pilot , IDIOTS no common sense whatsoever, you do not fly in built up areas and you certainly dont fly over members of the publics heads! They where lucky it came down when knobody was walking there, yes i fly fpv but i follow very strict and reasonable guidelines, i have noticed people becoming a bit more alarmed with rc aircraft now though, lots of new public area rules in Edinburgh after a airplane flown from inside of a house (im guessing hubsan hawk) hit a moving car, theres already very strict guidelines to flying rc aircraft and fpv's we really dont need the caa and bmfa to clamp down anymore or our great hobby and pastime will cherish, sorry if it sounds like im getting a bit cross but i do genuinely have a fine passion for what we all do and the last thing we need is some deep pocketed infants ruining it for us all,angry 2

S

If laws have been broken, someone will be prosecuted. There is no reason to think that this will have any effect of the rest of us.

Almost anything can be abused and used to break the law. It is the responsibility of the appropriate authorities to take that up with those responsible for the infringement.

People get hurt in cars every day (sadly) - the guilty get punished and the rest carry on with their lives.

I suggest that we do the same.

Move along now, nothing to see here.........

stu k

Heres a thought ..

Is the above video any worse than a person who flys to very high altitude with fpv .There is lots of evidence of this happening .. even here in nz there was a incident of GA pilots putting in complaints I do believe..

Personally , flying over the public , not a good idea . flying around big ben with a helicopter view , cool .

How else are you going to see it like that.

Great video blacksheep

Posted by FunnyFlyer on 19/11/2012 08:09:27:

Mmm completely irresponsible - but let's be honest - very impressive....

Agreed - dangerous and stupid near folk but rest very good ! If the police can use them flying over motorways ( I read an article that a northern police force were testing them quite a while back too), than why can't the public !

Sorry - do you get the feeling I'm a wee bit anti police? There was a police van parked on the pavement outside my house the other day, I could not stop myself asking them if they thought it was illegal to park on a public footway without any emergency in progress, they gave me some baloney and told me it was discretionary as long as they left enough room for a pushchair ! Yeah right - leading astray of the OP sorry - but after getting a ticket for having 2 wheels of my car on a path whose going to police the police?

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 19/11/2012 20:05:02

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 19/11/2012 20:07:41

Posted by Delta Whiskey on 19/11/2012 20:03:39:

Sorry - do you get the feeling I'm a wee bit anti police? There was a police van parked on the pavement outside my house the other day, I could not stop myself asking them if they thought it was illegal to park on a public footway without any emergency in progress, they gave me some baloney and told me it was discreationary as long as they left enoug room for a pushchair ! Yeah right - leading astray of the OP sorry - but after getting a ticket for having 2 wheels of my car on a path whose going to police the police?

Take a picture and report it if neccessary imo.

IIRC a couple of police forces have trialed them, but they got repremanded by the CAA for not having the appropriate permissions/etc.

Si.

Edit: I've been through the pavement parking thing myself in a previous student let. You are allowed to park on a pavement, along as its not double yellow and you leave room for a double buggy - unless there is a marked bay on the pavement.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 19/11/2012 20:08:21

• 6 months later...

Sorry but as I understand it, TBS are not a bunch of Idiots, and this was not irresponsible in any way.

As I understand it they obtain the necessary permits etc and in some of their footage a police officer can be seen with them.

This is how rumors start and I have informed TBS of this forum posting as I am a big fan of TBS I hope they join in this debate. I guess in some instances they try to get away with stuff but hey, in London? There's so much CCTV etc in London you'd get arrested for having a sony radio walkman never mind a Radio controlled copter!

Very impressive, but when the papperatsi start using them to film which celeb is doing what and with which to whom then I think the privacy laws will start to bite. Also if they fly into someone then the nasty stuff will hit the fan (or all four). Just imagine how much a starlet would sue for if a quad copter hit her in the face.

Once again a little common sense could save a lot of tears.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 07/06/2013 12:29:10:
Posted by Matsanga on 07/06/2013 12:14:46:

Sorry but as I understand it, TBS are not a bunch of Idiots, and this was not irresponsible in any way.

As I understand it they obtain the necessary permits etc and in some of their footage a police officer can be seen with them.

What 'permits' were these?

Short for Permissions I expect

Sorry, Matsanga but I'm going to have to disagree with you on just about every point you make.

If they 'obtained the necessary permits' then I'm a Dutchman's uncle. If they want to post details of the permissions they obtained here - and they are very welcome to do so - then I'm quite happy to be proven wrong.....but I can't see that happeningsmile

Just a short browse of the FPV forums shows they are far-from-universally held in high regard by FPV flyers anyway.......they are clearly seen by many as a bunch of renegades who could well make life difficult for those who do comply with the rules.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!teeth 2

Pete

Actually it was totally illegal - from CAP 722:

Article 167 – Small unmanned surveillance aircraft
‘(1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.
(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:
(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;
(b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft; or
(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.
(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.
(4) Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft.
(5) In this article ‘a small unmanned surveillance aircraft’ means a small unmanned aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition.’

Legal Position
The law requires that the person in charge of a model aircraft must maintain direct unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path so that collisions may be avoided. This is obviously not possible if the person in charge is wearing goggles or is otherwise constantly monitoring a display. Therefore there needs to be a way to facilitate this and to address other safety concerns

Further expanded in CAP 956

I dunno about a 'bite' but it is interesting to me.

All those X number of metres near X does my head in.

MIght as well quit FPV around anyone cheeky

I still think TBS are cool and they would be in jail now if they did anything wrong coz the police were at the end of the vid. And they not in jail coz they have just done a video of the Costa Concordia. cool

Posted by Matsanga on 07/06/2013 18:04:43:

All those X number of metres near X does my head in.

MIght as well quit FPV around anyone cheeky

I sincerely hope you don't mean that, Matsanga.....disgust

Seems like TBSmay not be that far from jail if the FAA have their way......smile:

Quotes from this article

"It seems that Team BlackSheep's high profile has now gotten them into trouble not only with the FAA, but also within the RC community. The group has been kicked out of several hobbyist flying clubs (hence the BlackSheep name), and arrested or detained multiple times. By Pirker's account, he or other members of Team BlackSheep have been detained in Arizona for landing in the Grand Canyon, questioned by police for flying around London, called in for questioning in Austria, and arrested in Italy recently for filming the Costa Concordia shipwreck—all incidents that have nothing to do with the citation by the FAA."

"But the FAA isn't happy with Team BlackSheep. For at least one incident, it has recommended a civil penalty of $10,000 for violation of 14 CFR 91.13 (a): "Careless or reckless operation of an aircraft." It's the first time the agency has cited a UAS operator for that violation."

He has still not heard a final word about the FAA fine—and he hopes he never will. "If we have to, we'll find a way to pay it," he says, "but for me personally, it's way beyond what is possible to pay."

Never mind, Mr Pirker, I'm sure all your fans will have a whip-round....wink 2

Pete