Blooming ads again!!!!

fly-navy

Advert

It was any random thread David,I had tried the compatibility button all to no avail,so learned to live with it,today all is fine again,Seems like one of those weeks!Put new ceiling rose on landing Sunday and a new light s/w on landing.Turned juice back on went upstairs turned on light,nada,went down stairs turned on landing light down there and it worked,came upstairs and s/w it off,then on and all been ok since,think s/w needed a jump start laugh,madam said "Typical" enlightened

John

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 16/11/2012 07:16:31:

It's caused by users dumping outsized videos, pics and html. What thread please?

But given that this behaviour doesn't cause problems on most other forums that people use, when is it going to be fixed on here?

And BTW, the tx charging thread, pages 2 and 3 have the same problem at the moment - unless one of the mods has already been in and fixed it.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 19/11/2012 13:51:53:

Today I've been having problems with the ads on the right overlapping text in multiple threads, never noticed it before, and a couple of times today the page has locked when entering text in the reply box. Before anyone suggests IE tricks, I'm running Firefox 14.0.01 under XP.

Can you give any examples of threads, Bob? Usually the cause is fairly easily spotted and can be fixed by one of the mods. Generally it's an oversize picture or the default youtube embedded code. In the past it was long, unbroken strings or text copied from elsewhere that contained "non-breaking space" characters (in HTML,   ) though I believe these have now been fixed. Basically, anything that "forces" the column to be wider than intended causes the problem and the text in the column disappears underneath the ads.

Edited By John Privett on 19/11/2012 21:06:30

Well if it happens again Bob drop one of us Mods a note & we can take a look.....it may be that the problem gets fixed between views thus appearing to make the problem random.

We Mods do keep highlighting these problems to the techies but we are just one voice amongst the many vying for their time I'm afraid.....

Yes, the video on this thread is a bit big, the ads only just go over the top of it though

It would be so easy to fix the size of embedded video and images with few small changes on this website. This JavaScript example would make the embedded video automatically fit the width of the forum, regardless of the size set by the member posting the video.. problem solved   **Link**

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 21/11/2012 08:47:32

Tis fixed WF.....wink 2

I will pass your link on to the techies & see what they think.....

I share your frustration at some of the sites shortcomings but what keeps me coming back to this forum is the general atmosphere, the people who frequent it & the quality of the advice & knowledge available......at the side of all that a few formatting issues seems a small price to pay.....smile

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 21/11/2012 08:56:17:

... the people who frequent it & the quality of the advice & knowledge available......at the side of all that a few formatting issues seems a small price to pay.....smile

Possibly, but I wonder how many people who might have been here now contributing to the advice and knowledge, have voted with their feet and not hung around due to the "few formatting issues". Most other forums don't need tutorials on how to post links, pics, videos etc. without "breaking" the forum and incurring the wrath of the mods. You just post them and they work...