First scale build from plans?

Hi fellow balsa bashers,

I currently change my mind about what to build next like I change my underpants.

So far I have built a low wing sport model from a kit nearly finished my first plan build of a Kamco Kavalier and I am now in the process of building a Flair Puppeteer.

I keep looking at various plans as a first scale plan build things like Piper Cubs Austers and so on.

But i am not to sure these float my boat is there anything that is a good first scale plan build that is a bit more exciting?

I read a Jerry Bates article his suggestions for first scale builds are:

• Hawker Hurricane
  • Early Supermarine Spitfire
  • Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
  • Vultee BT-13 Valiant
  • Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero
  • Grumman F6F Hellcat (don’t bother with the wing fold or scale flaps at this stage)

any thoughts?

Dean

Edited By Dean on 16/11/2012 20:37:48

Advert

The first thing I would have suggested was a Piper cub! But anyway...

The Tony Nijhuis designs have very good reviews, so you could take your pick from those depending which is your favourite (I would personally choose the Spitfire, 62.5 " since for some reason he does not offer a Concorde!) Tony B has built 4 Hurricanes (yes, FOUR!) so he is the man to ask about that. It really does depend what you want.

Hope that helps, please inform us of your progress whatever you pick since this is a stage that I will have to go through in the future, so I will be very interested to see how you get on (I'm sure fine!)

CS

Hi Dean,

Just consider the military training planes from the 30's through to the present day. By their nature they must have (In most cases) a degree of inherent stability, yet posess aerobatic capability. Some that come to mind for which there are plans are: Klemm 25, Miles Hawk Trainer, Miles Magister, T6 Harvard,, Chipmunk, Percival Piston Provost,Scottish Aviation Bulldog, Pilatus PC7/9, Slingsby firecracker, Grob 115.

Some carried armament too so even more detail to be added if desired.

Ady

Thank you for the suggestions

I did think the TN Hurricane maybe a good idea I have re-read Tony's built thread on the 4 he built, it would be a very helpful guide. I just worry I haven't quite got the skills yet to make it look good and do it justice.

So I wonder if I should hold my horses and go for something easier?

Thanks for those suggestions Ady out that list the Havard, Percival Provost and Bulldog really float my boat would these be an easier build than a warbird type?

dean

Just my two penneth, but I think covering a model in something like Solartex is both fast and gives a great finish. To that end perhaps think of a model that is an open airframe. That way you dont have all the time of finishing that you would have a on a sheeted model (unless of course you especially want to try that skill). Again the various Cubs spring to mind, there is also the civilian Auster J1 (not Aop9 I believe its metal skinned). One I have wanted to build for some time, but may never get around to is the DB Sport and scale Auster at 1/4.

However there are a raft of open structured models out there.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 17/11/2012 10:30:50

I would take a slightly different tack in that, whatever you build it has to be something that you really like and want to see finished and flying. If your heart isn't in it, it may never get finished.

Second point, a so so model that is finished and flying will motivate you for the next build, whereas there are unfinished master scale models in sheds all over the country.

So I say, pick something that you want to fly, get stuck in and do something every day, get it flown. If you like it, you can always add more detail later.. a scale model is never finished

You don't say which plans you are looking at, If you are thinking warbird with full house gear, go up around 72 to 85 inch span. If you want to go smaller, keep it simple and light, although a warbird with dangly wheels never looks good so retracts are a must.

If you think back through the builds that you have already done, the only difference to a plan build is that you have to cut your own parts. That usually boils down to a set of ribs and a few formers, sort those out before you start and there's not much difference to what you have done before.

Be interested to hear what you go for.... I always think that trawling through lists of plans and making the decision is one of the most pleasureable aspects of building.

stu k

Dean,I have seen the Harvard, Piston Provost and the SA Bulldog fly in the hands of the designer (John Carpenter) and can say they fly really nicely for F4c/ standoff scale planes as they have lots of detail. Building them is straight forward if you've built a few balsa planes before and would be fine in flying only events if done to the basic levels of scale detail. Everyone has put in sound advice but at the end of the day it has to be one that you are confortable with. I would err towrds the simpler planes such as those with out retracts as it is one less worry to work around.

Ady

You have hit the nail on the head there Stu, I bought very very cheaply all the parts for a deagostini spitfire after starting the build I really couldn't get excited about it plus it weighed a tonne!!!! so I sold it as a part built.

3 aircraft I am really passionate about are the Stuka, B-17 and Vulcan however I don't think any of those especially the B-17 would be good first projects.

I have a set of plans for John Carpenters Stuka but a few things have stopped me from giving it a go the wing looks quite complicated to build, I am unsure how to make the spats or buy the correct size.

I do love trawling the plans sites looking at all the different models, dreaming laugh

I'm not in a rush so will give some serious thought as to what I do.

Dean