3S to 2S Balance leads

I have a neat little Multiplex LN-3008 Charger which is capable of charging and balancing smaller 3S and 2S LiPos - which is adequate for many of my batteries. However it only has a 3S balance lead connector, so what I need is a lead with a 3S male JST-XH connector on one end (as fitted to 3S batteries), and a 2S female JST-XH connector at the other end. There seem to be leads available everywhere to convert from one format to another, and loads of adaptor boards to run from a 6S socket but I have been unable to source this kind of lead.

Anyone know where I can get one, or even have one made up for me?

Advert

I really appreciate your desire to help Pete B, but you must be sure of your facts when giving advice.

I ordered the lead from BRC as per your link but it does not fit the MPX LN-3008 at all, as it comes with a 6S polyquest plug (not 3S to fit the charger socket) although only wired for 2S. By the time I'd paid the postage and ordered a few "fillers" to make the order worth the postage it was quite an expensive mistake.

How irritating, RW, I can only humbly apologise........embarrassed

It is some time since I purchased mine and the order details have vanished into the mists of time.....crook

A little more information on the site would have been helpful, I suppose. Given the plethora of connectors available, it's a minefield and offering any sort of advice is clearly a risk!

I hope the 'fillers' have compensated to some extent - I'd have felt much worse if you'd wasted the postage on the one item. Unless you can source a Polyquest 3S plug and swap them over, John's advice is best, I think.....

I shall climb back into my hole..........

Pete

I had a similar problem many years ago. At the time Overlander used a plug which did not make use of two of the connections on their Lipos plug.

My solution was to buy two plugs and sockets (one of each) with tails. One which fitted my Imax charger and one to fit the Lipo. I then just soldered the tails on the connectors to the correct wires. This just left two terminals unused on the Lipo socket.

Could you do something similar?

I agree what you say Pete B, "A little more information on the (BRC) site would have been helpful" as it did appear to be the right lead from the info available. Next time I need another "filler" for another order, I'll try adding the bits suggested in the other posts above and have a go at making one.

Thanks to all for suggestions. RW

Before you spend any more money I should just check exactly what socket you have on your charger. I did a quick search and it did not seem that it has a JST-XH on it at all. I should check the pin spacings (XH is 2.5 mm) and the location grooves to match the location/polarity ribs on a JST-XH connector..

These are the connectors for the socket on the LN-3008, John. They are 4-pin Polyquest, with 2mm pin spacing. I've trawled the Net looking for a 4-pin male Polyquest to JST-XH 2S female without success - plenty of the 3S connectors available but not 2S with the 4-pin input. Mine is now a 'collectable', it seemssmile

dsc02005 (800x578).jpg

I suspect the easiest option will be as you suggested earlier:

What I think you need is a 2S (3 wire) balance lead extension and a 3S plug. Then remove the pins from the 2S plug and insert them into the 3S plug.

Pete

You're right John - in fact I had a closer look this morning and it's actually a TP (Thunderpower) on the charger, but all my batteries are JST-XH. Since I've already got a 3S lead for the charger (TP to XH) and I've now got the 2S female JST-XH on one end of the lead I got from BRC, I think I'll just cut off the 6S Polyquest plug and use Erfolg's idea and just nip the 3S XH male from a dead LiPo pack and solder the tails together to make a 3S male to 2S female, (which will effectively be just an extension to the existing lead, but provide the conversion from 3S to 2S).

Hi Pete B - we were obviously posting at the same time.  I think you'll find they're not Polyquest but Thunderpower connectors.  I did a comparison of both this morning and a Polyquest (PQ) plug would not fit the charger.

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 22/11/2012 17:31:10

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 22/11/2012 17:34:49

Well, I think I can justifiably declare myself to be a gibbering idiot after all that, then...........teeth 2

Seventeen different connector standards, according to this article!crook

It would help considerably if charger manufacturers deigned to include such details as to plug/socket types on their products - but then, as consumers, why would we need to know?..........angry 2

Pete