Northern Model Exhibition 2013

Posted by Area 51 on 15/03/2013 13:03:57:

As an aside to this, I notice an annual event is held in the Concorde hangar at Ringway by aero spotting enthusiasts.... they get to use the Concorde hangar (stalls in and around the undercarriage!!) for a couple of days.. this appears to have been going for a few years based on web comments.. A Success??? I am unsure... Perhaps this is an alternative venue the BMFA/LMA/Local clubs (rail/sail/air) could all make use off... Would be a super spot too...

Ermmm now that's got me thinking.

I've popped off an email today to the Concorde Hangar people and asked what are the chances of maybe a few clubs getting together to show off our wares. I'll let you all know its outcome, but could be an ideal opportunity to keep the ball rolling after the Event City episode.

Advert

Robert

If you can get a number of clubs to set up a committee to set up a exhibition, representing aeromodelling interests you could be onto something.

I guess your main obstacle is the very high costs of hiring any suitable hall in this era. The problem appears to be the crippling rates and hall charges today.

I wish you well in your quest.

Erfolg

I've set the gears in motion... with an initial letter to the Hangar, and I've asked my clubs Chairman to include a 'request of interest' from clubs if they would take part, along with our notification of my clubs Spring Auction. I'm thinking if the Hangar people are up for it, then I could offer either my own club or many clubs depending on their needs and space available.

Edited By Robert Tomlin on 15/03/2013 20:21:10

Hi all, yes it is sad, we got the news a couple of days ago. We will be discussing an alternative venue at our next meeting, but don’t hold up much hope at the moment.

We has a great venue up until this year at the Richard Dunn Centre, Bradford, nice big sports hall with some adjoining rooms if required, traders was asked to donate instead of paying for a stand, not many was interested in attending. It was a very poor turnout by the public and the admission was free.

Some places just don’t work; maybe this was the case with Event City, the entrance price could have also been a factor, the amount of security must have cost them a fortune, then there is the insurance cover and so on.

People just don’t have the money anymore to spend. Attendance for the venue dropped from 7500 last year to 4500 this year, so you can see why they have decided to drop it.

Here is a link to the page advertising the event I mentioned. I think this gets coverage in Flypast / Aeroplane Monthly magazines etc. I expect their turn out will be pretty good given they have a dedicated store in the termial etc. Have a look at the pictures, **LINK**

Possibly the organisers maybe able to help with ideas on funding to support something for us in the RC world or even share some costs at a future event.. Who knows there could be one or two new RC flyers out there who will join our ranks... Always appear to be an empty hangar close by in the maintenance areas too... imagine indoor flying in one of those..?

Manchester Airport does indeed like to support aviation and the community too.. So with a following wind, we may be on to something.. Well done for putting a contact email out there to them.. Let us all know how it goes.. thumbs up

I went to last years LMA show in Bradford with my 3 year old son (I was trying to sell him as a scale pilot!). I remember thinking at the time just how quiet it was-especially compared with the Wigan show. In fact it was more like a club meeting- everyone knew each other and there were virtually no "walk-in guests". Despite that it was fantastic fun. The LMA boys are all as mad as a box of frogs and will talk about their projects for as long as you can stand it, then they will carry on some more! Seriously though, they are so committed to this hobby it is incredible. If you get a chance to go to one, then grab it.

Visited Haigh Hall, Southport & Wigan on many occaisions, not made it Bradford but if its going this year, I will do so to bolster the numbers!! Excellent day out as alwasy with the LMA guys, I think trade presence died off a little after Haigh Hall though.

Perhaps if attendance is flagging and with the loss of the Trafford Park exhibtion... The Northern clubs who attended should back up established efforts of the LMA and display together! Maybe try to get some of the guys from the East & Scotland involved,

Maybe this is not an LMA desire, but hey if it keeps an event in the North going and numbers at the door can be boosted.. Maybe its a chance for all to help one another..and perhaps the trade may come too...

It will be a shame if we lose something such as this to look forward too and visit early in the season...

Ok everyone, first contact has been made ! I had an email reply from the Chairman of the Aviation Society, who are responsible for the Aviation Fair at the Concorde Hangar. In short, he and his fellow organisers and the Concorde Hangar management are very very keen to have us be part of it. He even was mentioning giving up space in the complex to have our models taxi 'round! I've been invited to a meeting with them soon to discuss mutual options to display our models, and of course all arrangements for insurance and safety. Guys, this could be the start of something special for our hobby and I really think we should all help to make it happen. Can I ask you to have your clubs committees contact me direct (via my clubs contact page www.bmmfc.com, I'm there as the Events Chairmen and the one with a shiny head !). I'll then have a list of clubs and maybe a rough idea of the types of models we can show.... similar to models from Event City, so table-top models all the way up to the LMA's big stuff. The Avation Fair is held on the 13th and 14th July, by-the-way.

Well done that man, applause from all of us..

Please keep us updated, if the contact is one Pete Hampson, then he has worked at the airport for a good number of years and is a keen aviation enthusiast. I am sure with a couple of images from the show at Trafford Park you will secure more support than expected... also some of your clubs display too..

Maybe this gentleman can also offer a little guidance on securing support from the airport Plc.... If we do not ask......... Ringway closed the main runways in autumn to allow a commemorative Moth flight to take place...

Keep up the sterling work.... yes Thank you Robert.

Update fellas on the Aviation Event in the Concorde Hangar...

I've had one club email me saying they might be up for joining in the event (13th & 14th July at Manchester Airport), and it also was discussed at this weeks BMFA-NW area meeting... where they mentioned the possibility of a stand from the BMFA. Although both are subject to my meeting at Easter with the Hangar Management Team and The Aviation Society. I've been chatting to one of my own clubs members who is also a member of the LMA, sounding him out as to what would be the LMA's requirements to join in. Seems they were offered space a few years ago at the event, but outside on a patch of grass, which wasn't good enough to taxi their models about on. I'm hopeful that this time I can bend the Hangar Management's arm into giving-up space inside and if not... at least a covered area on the tarmac beside the Concorde hangar. What I could do with though is more offers from other clubs, and someone in an official position from the LMA getting in touch with me, to offer their support. Once I have this meeting at the hangar, and offer them my own club and maybe another and the BMFA as exhibits, then they'll be no going back to the them asking for more space... so please let me know soon guys!

Robert - as Chairman of the Oldham club I am happy to promote the idea to our members although I am not sure what kind of response I will get.

This would be best done when there is clarity on the format and the date

Notwithstanding that I am happy to come along and support with one of my own models if I am in the country (I work abroad a great deal - presently in Belgium!)

Jon

Edited By Jon Laughton on 21/03/2013 12:04:39

Hey Jon... many thanks for the offer and support... I'm putting your name down now!

The date is definitely the 13th and 14th July, but all the other details will have to be sorted at the meeting I mentioned. I will post them here and on my clubs website and its twitter feed (@BuryMetroFlying) once I know them.

Rob

Rob,

Would love to offer my support as a 'national member' of the BMFa and between clubs at present (no enough time to fly) I need to check when I am working, but if free am happy to assit in any way I can, I might even be able to bring down a part finished scale model to show how the things get built (I can even get a case rigged up to protect it, I hope), but this will depend entirely on getting the Shed built (which has been delayed!)

Olly

Rob - All Shed dependant of course! I hope to not have too much delay, but the landscaper has pushed the build schedualt for the retaining wall back, so I might be a bit behind.

I must speak to him about the price if i do digging out for him on easter Friday....

Rob,

I can have a chat at the auction if you want, but I can probably sort out the school for a day long indoor/outdoor exhibition of something similar to the NME concept. I would guess that a number of local clubs would be interested and we could easily set up an indoor flying area as well as static displays. I would have to check (school is a PFI build, so run by a private organisation outside school hours) but I doubt the cost would be prohibitive and traders might be willing to give it a shot if they got pitches for free/nominal charge (at least in the early years before we jack the prices right up!!).

Obvious options would be keeping it aero only, or inviting some of the other modelling disciplines along (which I found some very interesting and some left me cold).

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all, and a happy Easter also.
Myself and my clubs secretary had a meeting this morning with the Chairman of The Aviation Society (TAS), who runs the Aviation and Transport Fair at the Viewing Park in Manchester Airport.
Firstly some info; The event is on the weekend of 13th & 14th July and is in its 5th year. They get 10,000 visitors over the weekend viewing the huge selection of vehicles, ranging from the Rolls Royce and Aston Martin owners clubs, steam trains, busses and boats. Hot air balloons (tethered) and other attractions which include the permeant static aircraft at the viewing park... a Concorde, a Tristar and a Nimrod. Inside the Concorde Hangar are masses of table-top stalls selling all things to do with transport.
We have been offered a space directly at the rear of Concorde inside the hangar, measuring about 40 x 50 feet. We would be in a roped off space facing the Concorde with a very large roller-door behind us. If the weather is good enough, we are allowed (and in fact encouraged) to have the roller-door opened and have models on the tarmac fenced-in space outside also... where engines/motors can be started-up. This space leads to a tarmac path that dissects the outdoor display areas and leads in fact right up to the main runways of the airport, still in the Viewing Park, where models can be taxied. We may even be allowed to fly helicopters from here also, but after a H&S inspection prior.
All this is at NO COST!
The whole site is massively secure of course, but insurance would be a matter of individuals to sort themselves. We would have to be at the Viewing Park on the Friday (12th July) to set up and then remove our stands/models Sunday after 6pm when the Fair closes. Free entrance/parking passes would be issued to exhibitors.
The pictures below show the space we can have, the view of the Concorde from our patch (the rear of the plane), the roller-doors and the space behind them (the litter and bins would of course be moved), and the path I mentioned and the size of the Concorde Hangar.
We have told the Chairman of the TAS we can certainly get quite a few models from our own club involved at the very least, and will do our best to involve other clubs especially the LMA... who I would think would jump at the opportunity of showing at a venue like this. I'm also going to suggest the BMFA-NW do something, but they would have to be in a tent outside I would think so as not to take up space for models.
Can I ask interested clubs to message ASAP so I can get an idea of numbers, and i'll liaise with the Chairman of TAS... I must stress that they will only accept requests from other clubs via myself!
Rob
Concorde Hangar 1
Concorde Hangar 2
Concorde Hangar 3
Concorde Hangar 4
Concorde Hangar 5